Chief's White Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have two grandkids that don't like tomato. So as my DIL made that wonderful white bean chili the other night, I figured I'd make white lasagna. Here's how I'm making it. First, I'm using the oven ready lasagna noodles, no boiling required. Then, here's the ingredient list:

2 lbs. bear meat sausage
16 oz. large curd cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded aged gouda cheese
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup minced Italian parsley
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1 cup fresh basil leaves1/2 cup cream
1 cup milk
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 white onion, minced
2 tbs. olive oil

Heat fry pan with oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add onion, and garlic. Stir for 2 minutes. Add dried herbs. Stir for one minute more. Add sausage, break up, and brown. Ass cream cheese, and cream. Stir until smoothly combined. Stir in milk. Set aside. Chiffonade the parsley. Place enough meat sauce into the bottom of rectangular baking pan to coat the bottom evenly. Cover with dry noodles. Spread cottage cheese to evenly cover, followed by half of the parsley, and half of the fresh basil leaves. Spoon meat sauce evenly over all. Sprinkle half of the gouda to cover. Place another layer of noodles, and repeat. Cover pan tightly with foil, and bake at 350' F for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and take off foil. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar on top, and bake ten more minutes. Serve with garlic bread.

All the classic lasagna flavor with no tomato. For our members who have problems eating tomato, this is a great recipe. I tasted the meat sauce. That bear meat sausage is perfect for this. Dinner is going to be good tonight.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Damn. I used the last of my bear meat sausage for breakfast, yesterday. :ermm::LOL:

Teasing aside, that appears to be a yum recipe, Chief. :yum::)

Ross

Yum! It sounds wonderful, Chief! I'm a big lasagna fan. I have a number of favorite recipes. In recent years, I've come to using frozen fresh lasagna noodles from Cash & Carry...or I think they are calling themselves Chef's Store these days? Likely could be found at other restaurant supply stores too. I like them as they don't need prep and they don't tend to suck up the moisture from the sauce like some no-cooks can?

Italians have many green lasagnes they made when the diffrent greens are in season. Example with; Mushrooms, Zuchini, Asparges, Broccoli, Leek, artichoke, Pesto, Pistachio.

AgricultureCooking, if you would like to post one of your favourite recipes for a Green Lasagna, I'm sure we would all love to see it.

Please be sure to start a new thread for it so that others may find it in the future and not be confused with Chief's White Lasagna.

The Mushroom and/or Leek one intrigues me.

And so you have never made any of them? Just read about them? IMHO there's no disrespect in making a recipe and having to substitute an ingredient because it is not available. This subject has been discussed quite a lot.

It all depens what is normal to with that recipe in that country, i listet above some authentic greens that are used in Italy. Please link that discussons that have ben made in this forum.
What poeple think is normal to substitute/change the recipe will not always apply in the homecountry and can easly turn into another recipe. Italians are very strict on that

I have pasta at least once every week in some form or another. But I've never tried to pretend it is authentic from what ever country I happen to add the flavours of. Whether Asian, European, where ever!

The only recipe that is authentic is the one that comes from your kitchen. :LOL:

But "normal" in a country can change from one village to the next.

Ofcourse its normal across the world, diffrent regions in Italy arent pizza common just like Spaghetti Carbona Romana. All regions have their own style. You cook and make so it authentic you can and get the ingredients from that country as well, if you have been to diffrent places in Italy then you have a reference.

Ofcourse its normal across the world, diffrent regions in Italy arent pizza common just like Spaghetti Carbona Romana. All regions have their own style. You cook and make so it authentic you can and get the ingredients from that country as well, if you have been to diffrent places in Italy then you have a reference.
At what point in a country's history do you decide that a given recipe is "authentic"? How do you make that determination?

It's normal and natural for people to integrate new ingredients and cooking methods into their own cuisines as they emigrate around the world and encounter new foods. It's been going on as long as people have been traveling from their home country/region/village.

I often love making "fusion" recipes. I make a version of arancini using jambalaya, which I call "Cajuncini" and serve it with a spicy Creole sauce from Paul Prudhomme. It is fun to make recipes that take from one or more cultures and combine them.
Craig

I'm with you, CraigC! Fusion creations can be great...and call it "fusion" in a restaurant is like calling it "artisan"...it raises the price and ka-ching, ka-ching!

The thing is, one may need to give up the pre-conceived notions about a given dish. Be open minded and give it a taste. You may like it better than the "classic" version!

All that said, there are some things I won't do. Like substituting those store-bought "taco shells" for making them myself. That doesn't mean that no one should buy taco shells! If they work for you, great! Enjoy...I'm not going to be a threat to the supply!

smileys-wink-252022.gif

It all depens what is normal to with that recipe in that country, i listet above some authentic greens that are used in Italy. Please link that discussons that have ben made in this forum.
What poeple think is normal to substitute/change the recipe will not always apply in the homecountry and can easly turn into another recipe. Italians are very strict on that

So is there more than one authentic version of lasagna in Italy? Are they all authentic as long as they are made in Italy?

I'm thinking of a white sauce that incorporates jumbo lump blue crab meat as part of it. Any thoughts or ideas?

Back
Top Bottom