Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Chief's Tip of the Day:
I'm going to start posting tips that may be helpful, may be humorous, but will always raise an eyebrow.

Here's my tip for August 10, 2012:

Know your guests, or target audience when planning a meal. Example, don't feed vegans stuffed pork chops finished with good sherry.
However, if you're feeding a bunch of chickens, then a bucket of freshly picked night-crawlers will be an incredible treat for them.

Hey, BT, wanna see who can come up with the "best" tips.:ohmy:

I am looking forward to this topic. Moohuahahaha!:w00t2:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip of the Day:
I'm going to start posting tips that may be helpful, may be humorous, but will always raise an eyebrow.

Here's my tip for August 10, 2012:

If you're feeding a bunch of chickens, then a bucket of freshly picked night-crawlers will be an incredible treat for them.
If you're feeding a bunch of chickens, make sure that you have at least three night crawlers per chicken. They are very greedy and will always try to take more than their fair share.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chief's Tip of the Day: When serving long, stringy noodles with sauce, such as spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, etc., to children who are just old enough to eat it, to about five years of age, leave it long and teach them to properly twirl it on their forks. Have a camera, or better yet, a movie camera ready, to record the often times hilarious results. You will cherish the pictures after the kids are all grown up, with families of their own. And, it will give you perfect blackmail ammunition when they are teens, with a boyfriend/girlfriend over, and they are being obnoxious. Besides, think of the giigles from your grandkids as they witness their Mommy, or Daddy with an inverted bowl of spaghetti on top of his or her head, with noodles and sauce all over the face.:LOL: How much fun will that be?

Serious tip; Wash all veggies thoroughly, especially if they are to be consumed raw. Dangerous micro-organisms live in the soil, and can hide in the tiny crevices of cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and on the skins of most other veggies. Even bean sprouts can harbor them. There was a serious case of salmonella poisoning that hit Europe last year, where it was found that the critter lived inside the beans that had been sprouted. To sprout beans, you have to put them in a warm, wet environment, perfect conditions for the micro-beast to grow in.

Don't be afraid of food, just treat it with respect. Wash it before you eat it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

And, when you are feeding these guests, if it is possible, don't be afraid to have dinner ready a little later than you planned. They will get hungrier as the time goes by. That will make your food seem all the more tastier. :LOL:

Because you know what they say. "Hunger is the best sauce"

And, when you are feeding these guests, if it is possible, don't be afraid to have dinner ready a little later than you planned. They will get hungrier as the time goes by. That will make your food seem all the more tastier. :LOL:

I like this tip.:mrgreen:

My Dad always said: "If they are hungry enough, they'll eat anything."

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
Chief's Tip of the Day: When serving long, stringy noodles with sauce, such as spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, etc., to children who are just old enough to eat it, to about five years of age, leave it long and teach them to properly twirl it on their forks. Have a camera, or better yet, a movie camera ready, to record the often times hilarious results. You will cherish the pictures after the kids are all grown up, with families of their own. And, it will give you perfect blackmail ammunition when they are teens, with a boyfriend/girlfriend over, and they are being obnoxious. Besides, think of the giigles from your grandkids as they witness their Mommy, or Daddy with an inverted bowl of spaghetti on top of his or her head, with noodles and sauce all over the face.:LOL: How much fun will that be?

image-2568136209.jpg

Thought you might like an illustration to go along with the tip.

Chief's Tip of the Day

It is best to paddle your canoe across a busy river, where lake freighters run up and down every fifteen minutes or so, in the daytime. Trying to cross in the dark of night, with no flashlights aboard, makes for some seriously vigorous paddling when a 1000 foot freighter is bearing down on you, and you know the pilot can't see you. I speak from experience.:ROFLMAO:

Cooking tip: Save yourself time and money by covering pots of liquid that are supposed to be brought to a boil. We often forget the little things when in the middle of a large cooking job, be it in the home, or elsewhere.

Last edited:
i just saw this, chief. there's no way i could post better tips than you.

but, as i am in the mood to go backpacking, i thought of some hiking tips.

when camping on the side of a steep mountain, always go uphill from your campsite to collect firewood. it's easier to carry logs, or hip drag a dead tree while going downhill back to your camp rather than to try to carry them uphill.

speaking of uohill/downhill, always face downhill when you have to pee. if you face uphill, it runs back in your boots. :ohmy:

Hiking tip, carry bells and pepper spray for bears. How do you identify bear poop? It smells like pepper and if you kick it you hear bells.

If I may..Let me offer this helpful tip.
Every tool box needs to have two indispensable items..WD-40 and duct tape.
If it moves and it ain't supposed to move...use the duct tape.
If it's supposed to move and don't...use the WD-40.

Now this is the DC I know and love. you make me so proud.:cry:

Tip of the day: The very best payback to someone who has offended you is forgiveness. It lightens your load, and opens the door toward friendship and understanding. It can even turn an enemy into a friend.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Cool topic ...

I believe forgiving is alot easier than actually forgetting ... Yes or No ?

True, one does feel better when they have lightened their load ...

Then, there could be distaste on the whole.

Turning an enemy into a friend is not too common ...

My viewpoint.

Once back stabbed, why go back for more ?

I am a street wise Manhattaner and city pavement native ... Difficult ...

Good philosphy, however, could it work in reality ?

Have nice August.
Margi.

Cool topic ...

I believe forgiving is alot easier than actually forgetting ... Yes or No ?

True, one does feel better when they have lightened their load ...

Then, there could be distaste on the whole.

Turning an enemy into a friend is not too common ...

My viewpoint.

Once back stabbed, why go back for more ?

I am a street wise Manhattaner and city pavement native ... Difficult ...

Good philosphy, however, could it work in reality ?

Have nice August.
Margi.

Though it doesn't always turn an enemy into a friend, it has for me.
There was a bully in my neighborhood that harrased my children. He was older than they were, and my children dreaded running into this clown. One day, I saw him in the market and verbally attacked him, telling him to leave my children alone. This didn't help matters at all. The harassment continued. Then, one day, I saw this young man walking the four miles it took to get to our town's only high school. I stopped and offered him a ride to the school, as it was on my way to work. I also apologized for berating him in public. We became friends after that. He went from being a bully, to being a protector for my children. He also came over and volunteered to help me weed my garden. He wanted to be around someone who treated him with the respect he didn't get at home. Eventually, he moved from the area. I hope that the example I was able to give helped turn his life around. I have learned first hand many lessons of this kind.

So, yes, I still remember how hateful he was. But I also know how good he became, at least for the rest of the time I knew him.

This is but one of many examples I could give. It doesn't always work, and we always have to watch out for ourselves. But we must also try our very best to be that good example that may help out someone who needs it.

Chief: Appreciative of the ur profound insightfulness

Thank you for sharing the very heartfelt account with a misplaced child who resorted to bullying. Life has uncountable twists and curves ... Amazing sometimes ...

Truly appreciate the profoundness in which you had narrated your historical short story.

All my best for a wonderful August.
Margi.

Has anyone here, ever seen the Film, Water for Elephants starring Reese Witherspoon ?

I am asking, because, I am like Rosie, the Elephant, I never forget ... I can forgive, however, forgetting is alot tougher. This film should of won the Oscar for 2012 ... Absolutely phenomenal film ...

Kind regards. Margi.

Last edited:
Though it doesn't always turn an enemy into a friend, it has for me.
There was a bully in my neighborhood that harrased my children. He was older than they were, and my children dreaded running into this clown. One day, I saw him in the market and verbally attacked him, telling him to leave my children alone. This didn't help matters at all. The harassment continued. Then, one day, I saw this young man walking the four miles it took to get to our town's only high school. I stopped and offered him a ride to the school, as it was on my way to work. I also apologized for berating him in public. We became friends after that. He went from being a bully, to being a protector for my children. He also came over and volunteered to help me weed my garden. He wanted to be around someone who treated him with the respect he didn't get at home. Eventually, he moved from the area. I hope that the example I was able to give helped turn his life around. I have learned first hand many lessons of this kind.

So, yes, I still remember how hateful he was. But I also know how good he became, at least for the rest of the time I knew him.

This is but one of many examples I could give. It doesn't always work, and we always have to watch out for ourselves. But we must also try our very best to be that good example that may help out someone who needs it.

This reminds me of a true story that happened in the little village in which my parents lived in Northern Ontario. The village was, for the most part, inhabited by native Americans in the winter, tourists from "down south" in the summer. My parents had bought a year-around cabin in the village, so lived there.

A 12-year old boy was 'tossed' out of the car after going to the laundry mat with his mother. His mother thoughtfully threw a garbage bag (one of those black ones) with his wet laundry in it. It was winter. He found a house that had an open garage and sought shelter there. The owners were in the town that is about an hour away doing their weekly grocery shopping. Imagine their surprise when they opened the door and found a boy!

(My father regretted that he had not yet had his garage built--for having a boy to do yard work, etc., was [and still is] his dream). After my father had the garage built, complete with a sleeping bunkie, we teased him that it was "boy bait" in that he was hoping to trap a boy of his own...sadistic, I know.

The family applied to social services to foster the lad (their own children were grown up and had children of their own--so they were "grandparent age"). They were acdepted, and he did yard work, snow shoveling, etc., for them and the neighbors (my dad included--my dad adored him). When the lad was 16, the family was approved to adopt him. When he turned 18, he hopped on a bus and found his mother. Had a chat with her--what he said, we don't know.

He returned to his adoptive family, applied for university, attended university, and graduated with honors. Today, he is a youth counselor. Who knows where he would be today if the family had not opened their heart and home to him, or, if he had ended up waiting in a garage or cottage that was closed up for the winter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom