Chief's Tasty Penne Pasta w/Pork Belly, and Pesto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I had some Penne regatta pasta, and a bit of pork belly available. I wanted pasta, with no nightshades, i.e. tomato, peppers. So here's what I made. It came out very tasty. I'm not sure what to call it, except maybe - Chief's Penne Regatta wit Pork Belly. Anyways, it came out very good, good enough to share.

ingredients:
1/4 lb. pork belly
1 cup penne regatta, uncooked
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tbs. pesto
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. Colgan's Liquid Smoke, mesquite flavor
1 tsp. A1 Sauce

Cut pork belly into 1/4 inch cubes. Sautee in pan over medium heat, until just starting to brown. Stir in liquid smoke, salt, and pepper, and garlic. Cover and simmer for ten minutes.

Cook the pasta in 2 cups salted water until al dente. Drain, and put back into the pot. Remove all but 2 tbs. grease from the pork belly. Add the pork belly mixture to the pasta. Stir in the pesto, basil, and A1 Sauce.

This is great with a salad, cob, or Cesar's. You could also sprinkle on your favorite hard Italian chees, though I found that the pasta really didn't need it. I hope you try this, especially those who have issues with nightshades. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

So, I guess you can tolerate a small amount of tomato. The first ingredient in A1 Sauce ingredient list is tomato puree.

BTW, I have noticed that tomato doesn't bother me so much if there are no seeds or gel. As far as I can tell, the seeds have been removed before the tomato puree or tomato paste is made.

Last edited:
You could sub out the A1 Sauce with Lee & Perrin' Worcestershire Sauce.

It's the potassium in the tomato I have to be careful of. A small amount of tomato based pasta, or pizza sauce, or the scant amount in a tbs. of A1 isn't going to greatly affect me. A BLT every day would not be a good thing. French fries with ketchup, a double whammy. That's just my life.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I wouldn't say that the majority of nightshades have a lot of potassium. The main culprits are tomatoes and potatoes. I have a different issue with nightshades, the glycoalkaloids.

Chief, this sounds great! I'm always buying Pork Belly. I don't know why but my BIL uses it in everything (LOL, he's Jamaican) and everything he cooks is fantastic! So I keep buying it and never using it. LOL - So now I will!.

as said... Sounds Great!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom