Chief's Super Moist Carrot Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, no surprise...the reviews are coming in. Great, wonderful, moist and just what "I" needed. Thank you, Chief! May I share the recipe?

I took one of the Super Moist Carrot Cake's to my nail shop, some weeks back. I went in again today and they had rave reviews on the cake! They want more! However, I understand that my Tech was rather greedy with the cake, not sharing much.

I'm thinking maybe if I made cup cakes, he would share more? Any idea on timing to bake the recipes as cup cakes? I'm guessing maybe 20 minutes??

USA Wheat Breeds and European Wheat Breeds are different.

USA flour recipes will not work using European flour and vice vesa.

I have a comprehensive collection of USA baking books written by qualified baking professionals. All the recipes in the books were tested using all-purpose flour. One of the books gives a comparison of flours and methods of substitution. The Chief's Super Moist Carrot Cake has been formulated to succeed using all-purpose flour and will work every time. Baking is chemistry. Converting the recipe to an Austrian recipe is a waste of valuable resources. The chemical reaction will be different.

https://theglutenfreeaustrian.com/cakes-cupcakes/gluten-free-carrot-cake/
I’m Daniela, a gluten-free Austrian pastry chef based in Chicago. Thanks to my Celiac disease, I only prepare the most delicious gluten-free recipes for you.

Gluten Free Flour: I tested this recipe with Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 and my gluten-free flour blend. Both flours worked great. I even tested it with a mix of “end of bags” flours (including Bob’s Red Mill, King Arthur, and Cup4Cup) and this Gluten Free Carrot Snack Cake turned out fluffy and moist. All flour blends used contain xanthan gum and are a mix of flours. I do not recommend using a single flour in this recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Old Fashioned Carrot Cake (Wisconsin State Fair 2001)

Recipe By :Laura Urbaniak, Milwaukee 2000
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 whole eggs
2 cups sugar
3 cups carrots -- finely shredded
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1.5 cups vegetable oil
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces crushed pineapple -- drained
1 cup walnuts -- chopped (optional)
=== Buttercream Frosting ===
0.5 cup butter
0.5 cup shortening
2 tablespoons milk
3 cups powdered sugar -- (up to 4 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla
additional walnuts -- chopped (optional)

Beat eggs and sugar. Add carrots, cream cheese, and oil; beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in pineapple and nuts. Pour into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" pan.

For frosting, beat butter and shortening with powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and enough milk to make spreadable. Mix well, then frost cake and sprinkle with nuts.

Source: Wisconsin State Fair Commemorative Cookbook Featuring 150 Award-Winning Recipes, Copyright: © 2001 Cookbook Publishers, Inc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 11510 Calories; 764g Fat (58.4% calories from fat); 109g Protein; 1116g Carbohydrate; 49g Dietary Fiber; 1219mg Cholesterol; 8597mg Sodium; 838g Total Sugars; 4mcg Vitamin D; 931mg Calcium; 25mg Iron; 4593mg Potassium; 2008mg Phosphorus. Exchanges: .

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Graham Kerr - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Kerr

Graham Kerr (born 22 January 1934) is an English cooking personality who is best known for his television cooking show The Galloping Gourmet from December 30, 1968 to September 14, 1973. In 1965, Kerr was awarded the gold medal at the Culinary Olympics in Frankfurt, Germany, for The Graham Kerr Cookbook by the Galloping Gourmet. In 2003, he received an honorary doctorate for culinary arts and nutrition from Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island. Also in 2003, Kerr was awarded an Honorary Life Member of the American Dietetic Association.

The following recipe is from Grut Farm just outside Zurich, Switzerland. (Closed around 2010). Tested using all-purpose flour. (probably modified from the original European Wheat recipe)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Carrot Cake (Graham Kerr)

Recipe By :Graham Kerr
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1.25 cups granulated sugar
10 ounces hazelnuts
3.5 ounces raisins -- sultana
3 medium carrots -- (10 ounces)
6 yokes egg
6 egg whites
1 teaspoon cold water
salt -- freshly ground
2 teaspoons lemon juice
0.5 teaspoon lemon zest -- (thin rind)
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
0.25 teaspoon cinnamon
4 teaspoons raspberry jam
1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar -- (icing sugar)

Sift the granulated sugar. Crush the hazelnuts very small (best results in a blender). Wash the sultanas. Wash and grate the carrots. Grease the cake tin (9 by 12 inch deep). Place a bowl over a pan of hot water. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Into a warmed bowl place the egg yolks and 4 ounces of the granulated sugar and whisk together until the mixture thickens. (It should be doubled in bulk, lighter in color and creamy in texture). When this happens, set aside the yolk and sugar mixture for a moment (off the heat).

Into a clean, cold bowl place the whites of eggs, add 1 teaspoonful cold water and some freshly ground salt and whisk quickly until they are stiff and peaked. Gradually beat into the fluffy whites of eggs the remaining 6 ounces of granulated sugar until it is fully incorporated. Set aside until required.

Place the egg yolk mixture over the warm water and add the ground nuts and lemon juice. To this add the grated carrots and lemon zest. Fold in the 1 teaspoonful of flour and sultanas. Remove the bowl from the heated water. Fold in 2 tablespoonfuls of egg whites. Then put all the mixture into the remainder of the whites of eggs and fold in well. Add the 1/4 teaspoonful of cinnamon.

Pour all the mixture into the greased cake tin and put it into the preheated oven set at 350 degrees, on the middle shelf, for 60 minutes. Remove cake from the pan and cool completely. Cut cake in half, spread the jam over the bottom and replace top. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar before serving.

Comments: A specialty of Grut Farm just outside Zurich, Switzerland.

Yields 6 servings.

Source:
"THE GALLOPING GOURMET with Graham Kerr, TV FOOD NETWORK (Show # GA-0005)"
S(Formatted for MC6):
""
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 628 Calories; 34g Fat (46.0% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 71g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 186mg Cholesterol; 153mg Sodium; 60g Total Sugars; 1mcg Vitamin D; 107mg Calcium; 4mg Iron; 672mg Potassium; 269mg Phosphorus. Exchanges: .

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

taxlady,

Unfortunately; due to health issues, I no longer bake or consume spicy foods.

The negative comments that American cakes are soggy are from someone who does not understand the science of baking. Cakes require moisture, be it water or other ingredients.

I posted two recipes from the 93 carrot cake recipes in my MasterCook database to demonstrate there are more than one approach to achieving the final goal.

I like the Chief's recipe, I am entering it into my MasterCook database. The Wisconsin State Fair is derived from an American Heritage recipe. Graham Kerr's recipe is a traditional European approach to baking, obtained from a commercial baking establishment.

Which is best, I cannot say. The final judgement should be on individual tastes.

The reason for posting recipes is culinary diversity. Sometimes a fusion of recipes is superior to the individual recipes.

Jonas, so you are posting recipes that you haven't even tried. I like getting recipes here, from people who have actually tried the recipes and can tell me how they liked them, any gotchas in the directions, any changes they would make, etc.

Also, Jonas, you didn't say why you were posting these, so we were left to wonder. In a forum like this, where we Discuss Cooking ;)it's a good idea to talk a little bit about why you're posting a recipe on someone else's post rather than making a new post.

My original post is self explanatory.

taxlady,

Unfortunately; due to health issues, I no longer bake or consume spicy foods.

The negative comments that American cakes are soggy are from someone who does not understand the science of baking. Cakes require moisture, be it water or other ingredients.

I posted two recipes from the 93 carrot cake recipes in my MasterCook database to demonstrate there are more than one approach to achieving the final goal.

I like the Chief's recipe, I am entering it into my MasterCook database. The Wisconsin State Fair is derived from an American Heritage recipe. Graham Kerr's recipe is a traditional European approach to baking, obtained from a commercial baking establishment.

Which is best, I cannot say. The final judgement should be on individual tastes.

The reason for posting recipes is culinary diversity. Sometimes a fusion of recipes is superior to the individual recipes.

Graham Kerr.

Parents were established hoteliers. As a result, much of his childhood was spent among European chefs. Kerr became trainee manager at the Roebuck Hotel in Forest Row, East Sussex, England, when he was 15 years old. After five years in the British Army as catering adviser, he became general manager of the Royal Ascot Hotel.

The Galloping Gourmet TV Show (December 30, 1968–September 14, 1973.

From 1996 to 2000, Kerr was the editor at large for Cooking Light magazine

In 1965, Kerr was awarded the gold medal at the Culinary Olympics in Frankfurt, Germany, for The Graham Kerr Cookbook by the Galloping Gourmet.

In 2003, he received an honorary doctorate for culinary arts and nutrition from Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island. Also in 2003, Kerr was awarded an Honorary Life Member of the American Dietetic Association.

Author of 23 books.

Again - self explanatory.

USA Wheat Breeds and European Wheat Breeds are different.

USA flour recipes will not work using European flour and vice vesa.

I have a comprehensive collection of USA baking books written by qualified baking professionals. All the recipes in the books were tested using all-purpose flour. One of the books gives a comparison of flours and methods of substitution. The Chief's Super Moist Carrot Cake has been formulated to succeed using all-purpose flour and will work every time. Baking is chemistry. Converting the recipe to an Austrian recipe is a waste of valuable resources. The chemical reaction will be different.

https://theglutenfreeaustrian.com/cakes-cupcakes/gluten-free-carrot-cake/
I’m Daniela, a gluten-free Austrian pastry chef based in Chicago. Thanks to my Celiac disease, I only prepare the most delicious gluten-free recipes for you.

Gluten Free Flour: I tested this recipe with Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 and my gluten-free flour blend. Both flours worked great. I even tested it with a mix of “end of bags” flours (including Bob’s Red Mill, King Arthur, and Cup4Cup) and this Gluten Free Carrot Snack Cake turned out fluffy and moist. All flour blends used contain xanthan gum and are a mix of flours. I do not recommend using a single flour in this recipe.

This is my modified carrot cake recipe. It is very moist, and tastes great. It is a fusion of zucchini bread, and carrot cake, with walnuts and raisins added to provide a little something extra. Enjoy.

Chief's Modified Carrot Cake

Ingredients:
Dry Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1 tbs. dark molasses
1/8 cup pineapple juice

Fruit & Nut Ingredients:
1 cup finely shredded carrots (about four carrots)
1 cup finely grated yellow summer squash
1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 355 F.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a balloon whisk. Put the raisins into a microwave safe bows and cover with tap water. Heat for two minutes on high and let them sit.

In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and oil with a whisk until smooth. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Drain the raisins. Fold the fruits and nuts into the batter. Pour into a greased and floured 9X12 inch cake pan. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test with a clean butter knife by inserting the knife into the middle of the cake, to the pan bottom. If its clean when you pull it out, the cake is done. If not, set the timer for an additional 10 minutes and retest.

Frost with cream cheese frosting. Please use homemade as the store bought stuff doesn't compare.

Home made cream cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Cake Icing

Ingredients:
3 cups Powdered Sugar
3 tbs. water
½ cup sweet-cream, unsalted Butter
16 oz. Cream Cheese

Melt butter. Add the cream cheese and stir with wire whisk, or beat with electric beater until well combined and smooth. combine the water and powdered sugar. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Slowly Mix the powdered sugar into the cheese mixture until all is silky smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

This frosting is easily spread at room temperature. Its rich flavor compliments spice and carrot cakes, and can be used to fill puff pastry, bismarks (filled yeast doughnuts), or Danish pastry. Personally, I like it chilled on whatever it’s put on. The texture is great either way. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I try these carrot cake recipe at home.The cake become so soft and fluffy.

Regarding Posting Copyright Recipes.

https://www.grassrootsrecipes.com/copyright.html

The MasterCook recipe site has been up since 1992.

I suggest reading the full page.

"As a recipe mailing list listmom, I know that many people are concerned about recipe copyright.

And as a recipe listmom, I've done lots of research into the issue.

Here's what I've found:

Copyright exists to protect original, *artistic* works (think photographs, paintings, poems, plays, books, etc.). As recipes are essentially a description of a technique, they cannot--with certain exceptions--be copyrighted.

A set of ingredients cannot be copyrighted.
Recipe directions MAY be copyrighted, if they have significant *original* prose. (...and "Mix all ingredients" is NOT original!)
A single recipe may not be copyrighted unless it has significant *original* prose.
A set of recipes (as in a cookbook or magazine) CAN be copyrighted, under collection copyright."

"And here's the official word from the Library of Congress website: A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection." End.

The Australian Copyright Act, which conforms to the Geneva Conventions requires the following notice when considerable copyright material is quoted within a document. IE - considerable copyright content up to 10% by volume of a copyright work.

START

Public Disclosure Notice

Commonwealth of Australia
Copyright Regulations 1969
Warning

This document has been communicated to you by ( INSERT YOU FULL NAME HERE) pursuant to Part III, Division 3, Provisions 41, 42, 43 of the Australian Copyright Act 1968.

Part III, Division 3, Provisions 41, 42, 43 of the Australian Copyright Act provides the fair dealing of copyright material for the purpose of research or study, criticism or review, reporting the news.

To conform to the Provisions 41, 42, 43 of the Australian Copyright Act, this document may be circulated in its original published format, by non-profit distribution networks provided that no distribution costs are charged or donations requested.

Any unauthorised editing or hard copy printing and circulation voids the fair dealing clauses under the copyright act.

Please note that this document does not extinguish the original author’s copyright ownership, or the legal right to pursue any copyright infringement by any unauthorised third party.

Print, Radio and Television Media wishing to reproduce sections of this document for commercial use must obtain written permission from the original authors.

Do not remove or edit the above notice. END.

Other countries will have a copyright provision similar to:

Part III, Division 3, Provisions 41, 42, 43 of the Australian Copyright Act provides the fair dealing of copyright material for the purpose of research or study, criticism or review, reporting the news.

IE - fair dealing provision. The wording may be different to the above, yet the fair dealing provision will be invoked.

"So just to be clear... Jonas, is that a 'yes' or a 'no'?"

MasterCook is just a recipe manager. Up to MasterCook 15, 6000 recipes were included, licenced for distribution by the software owners. The current version, MasterCook 20 does not include any recipes, as people purchasing the program prefer starting with a blank install.

The MasterCook collections circulating on the internet were entered into the program by individuals compiling personal collections.

Collection Examples:

Grassroots Recipes:
https://www.grassrootsrecipes.com/

Bill Wight's Food and Recipe Page:
https://www.bbqdan.com/recipes_wight/index.html

Mr. Mad Collection:
Index of /recipes

The majority of the recipes are from Books, TV Shows, Magazines, Books, Newspapers.

The Mr. Mad Collection contains mainly TV Food Network recipes downloaded directly from the TV Food Network website.

The above MasterCook collections have been in circulation for 20 plus Years. As stated, fair use copyright laws permits private use. To my knowledge, over the past 20 years, there has been no copyright issues with compiled recipe collections or any cease and desist orders issued to web sites distributing recipe compilations.

If individuals were to publish the MasterCook collections for profit, I am certain the Book Publishers, TV Shows, Magazines, Books, Newspapers, etc., would issue cease and desist orders. Therefore; if you are posting MasterCook formatted recipes as recipe comparison information, that is within the copyright fair use clause.

Glen's MM Recipes:
https://thehoseys.org/buster/index.html

163,000 recipes online.

The site has been operational since November 23, 1997.

Mainly from Books, TV Shows, Magazines, Books, Newspapers and Recipe Archive sites.

No copyright issues reported.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom