Chief's Super Moist Carrot Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This is my modified carrot cake recipe. It is very moist, and tastes great. It is a fusion of zucchini bread, and carrot cake, with walnuts and raisins added to provide a little something extra. Enjoy.

Chief's Modified Carrot Cake

Ingredients:
Dry Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1 tbs. dark molasses
1/8 cup pineapple juice

Fruit & Nut Ingredients:
1 cup finely shredded carrots (about four carrots)
1 cup finely grated yellow summer squash
1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 355 F.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a balloon whisk. Put the raisins into a microwave safe bows and cover with tap water. Heat for two minutes on high and let them sit.

In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and oil with a whisk until smooth. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Drain the raisins. Fold the fruits and nuts into the batter. Pour into a greased and floured 9X12 inch cake pan. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test with a clean butter knife by inserting the knife into the middle of the cake, to the pan bottom. If its clean when you pull it out, the cake is done. If not, set the timer for an additional 10 minutes and retest.

Frost with cream cheese frosting. Please use homemade as the store bought stuff doesn't compare.

Home made cream cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Cake Icing

Ingredients:
3 cups Powdered Sugar
3 tbs. water
½ cup sweet-cream, unsalted Butter
16 oz. Cream Cheese

Melt butter. Add the cream cheese and stir with wire whisk, or beat with electric beater until well combined and smooth. combine the water and powdered sugar. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Slowly Mix the powdered sugar into the cheese mixture until all is silky smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

This frosting is easily spread at room temperature. Its rich flavor compliments spice and carrot cakes, and can be used to fill puff pastry, bismarks (filled yeast doughnuts), or Danish pastry. Personally, I like it chilled on whatever it’s put on. The texture is great either way. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love Carrot Cake. I've got a recipe I've been using for many years, and it is similar to yours.

Have you ever tried a Captain Whidbey's Washington Apple Cake? If you haven't, I do recommend it. It is another with Cream Cheese frosting, but there's less cake, more apple...Here's a link to the recipe, the same as I found in a magazine probably 40 years ago!

Washington Apple Cake

I love Carrot Cake. I've got a recipe I've been using for many years, and it is similar to yours.

Have you ever tried a Captain Whidbey's Washington Apple Cake? If you haven't, I do recommend it. It is another with Cream Cheese frosting, but there's less cake, more apple...Here's a link to the recipe, the same as I found in a magazine probably 40 years ago!

Washington Apple Cake

That looks like a winner. Thanks. After my next paycheck, I just might purchase apples and make the apple cake. I have other apple cake recipes of my own as well. They are more of a coffee cake style though.

Thanks for linking to the recipe. Ginny, be careful around bakers. You are a peach; and I'd hate to see you made into a cobbler;).

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Around 1970, we ate our first slice of cake in Austria. Since then, our 37 subsequent trips to Austria include mandatory 2-3 slices of cake everyday- she insists on moderation. Also, since that first Austrian cake, we have never made or ordered or eaten an American cake. Over the last 50 years, I have occasionally sampled maybe a total of 4 pieces of American cake to confirm how bad it is compared to Austrian cake. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After study of many cake recopies, it looks like the difference is this: USA cakes use water and or milk + a little butter. Austrian cakes add no liquid & use a lot of butter. Butter tastes better than water, & makes for a denser cake, a solid piece of good eating, rather than American spongy, soggy fluff. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]So here’s a challenge to [/FONT]Chief Longwind Of The North: figure out how to convert your soggy cake to an Austrian cake and let us know how the two compare.​

kb0000 do you think perhaps you might be confusing Torte recipes with Cake recipes?

I have several Austrian recipes and they all use 1/2 cup milk - as does Chief's.

Around 1970, we ate our first slice of cake in Austria. Since then, our 37 subsequent trips to Austria include mandatory 2-3 slices of cake everyday- she insists on moderation. Also, since that first Austrian cake, we have never made or ordered or eaten an American cake. Over the last 50 years, I have occasionally sampled maybe a total of 4 pieces of American cake to confirm how bad it is compared to Austrian cake.
After study of many cake recopies, it looks like the difference is this: USA cakes use water and or milk + a little butter. Austrian cakes add no liquid & use a lot of butter. Butter tastes better than water, & makes for a denser cake, a solid piece of good eating, rather than American spongy, soggy fluff.
So here’s a challenge to Chief Longwind Of The North: figure out how to convert your soggy cake to an Austrian cake and let us know how the two compare.

Two things I would highlight here.
The first is, you will not endear yourself to, nor obtain any help from the kind folks on this forum if you continue to insult them and demand that they change their recipes - recipes which you have evidently not tried (have you made the chief´s carrot cake? Have you tried it?) because you´re too busy eating Austrian Cake.
Secondly, it seems you don´t like American recipes very much; viz. French Baguettes and Austrian Cake. And yet you live in a small village in Utah, where, I surmise, there are few, if any Michelin Starred restaurants or world famous patissiers. If you can afford to travel as much as you say you do (37 trips to Austria and over 200 to France), I should strongly recommend permanent retirement to Europe; preferably close to Alsace, where you would at least be able to satiate your passion for bread and sweets.
Even if you were a world expert on baguettes and cakes, vilifying others because their recipes don´t fit into your particular ethos is not the most ideal way to win over their opinions.

The first is, you will not endear yourself to, nor obtain any help from the kind folks on this forum if you continue to insult them and demand that they change their recipes - recipes which you have evidently not tried (have you made the chief´s carrot cake? Have you tried it?) because you´re too busy eating Austrian Cake.

Secondly, it seems you don´t like American recipes very much; viz. French Baguettes and Austrian Cake. And yet you live in a small village in Utah, where, I surmise, there are few, if any Michelin Starred restaurants or world famous patissiers. If you can afford to travel as much as you say you do (37 trips to Austria and over 200 to France), I should strongly recommend permanent retirement to Europe; preferably close to Alsace, where you would at least be able to satiate your passion for bread and sweets.

Even if you were a world expert on baguettes and cakes, vilifying others because their recipes don´t fit into your particular ethos is not the most ideal way to win over their opinions.
Thank you. That guy is *so* exasperating.

Okay...I'm putting on my flame-proof overcoat...I'm thinking that this may be one of those proverbial Apple vs. Orange things. That said, I did a www search and found a couple of interesting recipes that claim to be Austrian Carrot Cake...like this one: https://theglutenfreeaustrian.com/cakes-cupcakes/gluten-free-carrot-cake/

I'm sure you can do your own search, kb0000. Since you are the expert, maybe you can find one, bake it and report back if it is a worthy recipe? Then, we might choose to try it ourselves.

In the end, it may just be a matter of taste. No right or wrong answer. Probably the reason there are so many choices in the world of restaurants and recipes. If there was a one size fits all, maybe we would all be eating Soylent Green or just taking a pill of some sort, forget about enjoying the food for what it is?

I agree. Thank you karadekoolaid.

You think? :LOL:

I almost feel sorry for kb, not being able to enjoy any edibles near to his current residence. While my fondest cake memories involve "back home" bakeries like the tiramisu at Corbo's, or a slice of "Cleveland style" Cassata cake from Baraona's Baking Co., or anything from Michael Angelo's Bakery, Himself and I have found excellent substitutes. Substitutes that we, in all likelihood, will miss once we get moved back home.

Okay...I'm putting on my flame-proof overcoat...I'm thinking that this may be one of those proverbial Apple vs. Orange things. That said, I did a www search and found a couple of interesting recipes that claim to be Austrian Carrot Cake...like this one: https://theglutenfreeaustrian.com/cakes-cupcakes/gluten-free-carrot-cake/

I'm sure you can do your own search, kb0000. Since you are the expert, maybe you can find one, bake it and report back if it is a worthy recipe? Then, we might choose to try it ourselves.

In the end, it may just be a matter of taste. No right or wrong answer. Probably the reason there are so many choices in the world of restaurants and recipes. If there was a one size fits all, maybe we would all be eating Soylent Green or just taking a pill of some sort, forget about enjoying the food for what it is?

For a challenge, several years back, for a work pot luck, I was tasked to make a science fiction themed main dish. I chose to make a Soylent Green pattie. Now, in the book, soylent green was made from human flesh. I did my research, and found out that in Melanesian countries, in the days of canibalism, humans were reffered to as long pigs. Evidently, we taste a lot like pork. So I made a pork patty, tenderizing it with a meat mallet that had blades, making it like cube steak. Seasoned with salt, and pepper, and marinated in a green marinade of vinegar. Green food coloring, ginger, and a bit of sugar, it came out very tasty, and looked how soylent green was described in the book. It was a huge success. It's amazing what you can do with a little imagination, and an understanding of cooking.

As for our poster who challenged me to change my carrot cake revipe, I'll pass on that one. My recipe make a really tasty cake, that everyone who has had it loves. His condescending nature shows him to be very narrow minded, and opinionated
I have won bread baking, desert, baked beans, chilli cookoffs. And a host of other cooking contests. I might not have ever made a Sacher Torte, bu am confident that I could. I've shared many recipes on DC, and received favorable feedback. I've even won a monthly callenge on another site.

My advise, let the naysayers spout whatever they want. Be confident in your own skills
And if there's anything you wish to learn, there are a bunch of very good cooks, and even chef's on DC who can assist. I may not know every dish ever made on this planet, but I do ok.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Northl

Amen, Chief:
and Amen to all those who who believe that EVERYONE has the right to their own opinion, EVERYONE has a right to post their own personal recipes, and EVERYONE has their own tastes.
Unfortunately, trying to impose your own, personal opinions/tastes upon others is not an option in a World Wide Web Forum.
No-one dictates what I should or should not eat/enjoy: but I respect what others like/dislike. Maybe one day I´ll try out their recipe and change my mind.

KB0000, I have a challenge for you. I suffer from end stage renal disease, which means I am not allowed any of the winter squashes, sweet potatoes, or legumes in my diet. At the Thanksgiving meal, I love pumpkin pie, but can't have it do to dietary restriction. I can't have sweet potato pie, or bean pie, which taste very close to a good pumpkin pie.

I came up with a solution that is every bit as good, but with foods that are safe for me to eat. I was even told by my eldest daughter that it's better than pumpkin pie. My challenge to you is to create a recipe that I can eat, that is similar to, and as good as pumpkin pie.

If you succeed, I will modify my carrot cake recipe to fit your preferred texture, and taste. Have no doubt that I can do this. Since you are an expert in the taste, and texture of foods, I'm expecting something amazing. However, if you're not up to the challenge, then you need to be more open minded about other people's preferences. So how about it. Are you up to the challenge?

Did you ever try soft tofu with pumpkin pie spices?

I need a recipe, and for you to make it and report back on the results. And my point of the challenge to you was to take your knowledge of cooking, and see if you can really make something worth eating. You insulted me by inferring that my carrot cake was inferior. After you present your pumpkin pie replacement recipe, I will post mine. I hope that other members will make both of them, and let us know which they prefer.

If you want to square off against me, i accept the challenge. I have a great deal of cooking experience in just about any kind of cooking preparation you want to try, from tempering coverture chocolate, making beautiful filled candies, to pastries, all kinds of meat recipes, BBQ, slow cooked stews, soups, and chowders, seafoods, French mother and daughter sauces, Italian pastas, and sauces, German, and polish recipes, Belgian waffles, Dutch Babies, pancakes, muffins, breads, vegetables of all kinds, using different cooking techniques, beverages, ice cream/gelato, soda pop, etc. I have been learning everything about cooking from about age 9 to the present, and I'm 66 years of age. i even grind my own meats and make sausages, and pate's. You opened the flood gates. Let's see if you can swim.

I once thought i was an exceptional air hockey player. I was humbled by a guy who was so much better than me. Maybe you need a slice of humble pie, like I did.

Just for grins, could you make this? Do you even know what it is? Click on the link to see the picture.

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/1497-albums429-picture3165.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my! That looks beautiful Chief! Have always wanted to make one of those. Actually now that I'm living with my son I just might try it.

How big (weight-wise)?
Wish I was back near the farm, I had just discovered a butcher that actually raised most of his own meats for his own store. Was great talking to him, very good advice, at least on most meats. LOL unfortunately, his wife did most of the cooking and he would tear his hair out at some of the things that she would do with the meat! LOL We had some good chuckles.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My point was the Austrian Cake recipes do not use liquids, milk or water, which USA cakes do use. The recipe you cited, being Austrian, does what I said-- no milk. No water, but oil instead of butter. Big deal. 6 of one, half dozes of the other. Fat is fat and milk isn’t[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom