Chief's stove top deep brown beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
What do you do when you awaken at 3 a.m. and can't get back to sleep? You make deep brown pork & beans of course. This batch was made entirely on the stove top, and tastes delicious. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:
15 oz. Can great northern beans, with can liquid
15 oz. Can garbazo beans, with can liqui
2 tbs. Dried, minced onion
4 strips thick cut peppered bacon
1/2 cup dice, smoked pork loin, already cooked
1 tsp. Ground cumin
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs. Yellow mustard
2 tbs. Tomato catsup

Place bacon into a sauce pot over medium heat. Gently stir until bacon is cooked, but still soft. Add the beans. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the cumin, and minced onion. Saute for 3 minutes. Next, gently fold in the brown sugar, mustard, catsup, and pork loin. Simmer, stirring frequntly to prevent the sugars from sticking to the pan bottom. Continue cooking over low heat until the sauce surounding the beans is thick, and rich, and just enough to cover the beans. Taste, and correct the seasoning to your liking.

You could also add maple syrup, cor molasses to these beans. But just as is, I'm very happy with the results. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sound good, Chief but... can you suggest a substitute for the garbanzo beans?

We don't care for them.

TIA

Ross

Navy beans, pinto beans, or black beans work very nicely. In fact, that's what I normally use. I used garbonzos as that's what I had. I knew the flavor would be mild enough not to dtract from the recipe. I have used kidney beans, and they were good. But they did change the flavor.

I have only ever enjoyed baked beans once. A friend made it with beans from her garden and bear instead of pork. It wasn't sweet. DH likes baked beans, so we do get the ready made stuff in cans, for when he wants some. This sounds like something I could play around with and find something that suits both my taste and the hubster's taste. Thanks Chief.

Navy beans, pinto beans, or black beans work very nicely. In fact, that's what I normally use. I used garbonzos as that's what I had. I knew the flavor would be mild enough not to dtract from the recipe. I have used kidney beans, and they were good. But they did change the flavor.

Thank you. :)

After responding, I remembered ( old age can be frustrating) that I have recently discovered/enjoyed peruano beans. I now make refried beans with those. So creamy and mild flavored. I have copied your recipe and will use those beans.

Ross

The cumin is what sets these beans apart from stire bought varieties. To make these mre savory, use just 1 tbs. of brown sugar, or molasses. Add chili powder, and a little red pepper. The bacon I used was ends, and pieces, heavily peppered. The black pepper adds a good umami flavor, as does the smoked pork loin.

I like the recipe I posted as the sweetness of the brown sugar is tempered by the mustard, pepper, and cumin.

I've made more traditional New England style (Boston) baked beans. I've made ranch beans, and savory bean soup. I tied fòr first place in a baked bean contest. But with all of that, I still think this recipe is my best. It doesn't have tomato taste, but the catsup simply enhances the other flavors. The mustard and onion can be tasted, but are in harmony with the other ingredients. As with most recipes, it's all about using flavors and textures that balkance, and compliment each other.

Let me know how all of you change the recipe to make it your own. And if you try my recipe, give me a critique.

What do you do when you awaken at 3 a.m. and can't get back to sleep? You make deep brown pork & beans of course. This batch was made entirely on the stove top, and tastes delicious. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:
15 oz. Can great northern beans, with can liquid
15 oz. Can garbazo beans, with can liqui
2 tbs. Dried, minced onion
4 strips thick cut peppered bacon
1/2 cup dice, smoked pork loin, already cooked
1 tsp. Ground cumin
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs. Yellow mustard
2 tbs. Tomato catsup

Place bacon into a sauce pot over medium heat. Gently stir until bacon is cooked, but still soft. Add the beans. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the cumin, and minced onion. Saute for 3 minutes. Next, gently fold in the brown sugar, mustard, catsup, and pork loin. Simmer, stirring frequntly to prevent the sugars from sticking to the pan bottom. Continue cooking over low heat until the sauce surounding the beans is thick, and rich, and just enough to cover the beans. Taste, and correct the seasoning to your liking.

You could also add maple syrup, cor molasses to these beans. But just as is, I'm very happy with the results. Enjoy.

Sounds amazing. I have all of the ingredients, except the pork loin. Could it work without it? I would really love to make this on the weekend.

Sounds amazing. I have all of the ingredients, except the pork loin. Could it work without it? I would really love to make this on the weekend.

Any cut of pork would work. Pork butt, chops, pork steak, country style ribs, pork belly, etc. You could even use ground beef, lamb, goat, or venison. I don't think turkey, or chicken would work though.

I was surprised when I took the beans from the fridge. They were very saucy, but not wet when they went in. All the liquid was absorbed by the beans. I actually had to add just a bit of water when reheating them. However, when fresh from the stove after I made them, the sauce to bean ratio was perfect.

If you like more sauce in you beans, don't reduce the liquid as much, i.e. don't simmer as long.

For sides, I recommend a KFC style wet slaw, fresh corn on the cob (I like mine nuked for three minutes in the husk, in the microwave for full flavor), and some grilled, or broiled kielbasa. Cold melon of choice for desert, or maybe some grapefruit sections with cherries in light syrup.

Last edited:
Any cut of pork would work. Pork butt, chops, pork steak, country style ribs, pork belly, etc. You could even use ground beef, lamb, goat, or venison. I don't think turkey, or chicken would work though.

I was surprised when I took the beans from the fridge. They were very saucy, but not wet when they went in. All the liquid was absorbed by the beans. I actually had to add just a bit of water when reheating them. However, when fresh from the stove after I made them, the sauce to bean ratio was perfect.

If you like more sauce in you beans, don't reduce the liquid as much, i.e. don't simmer as long.

I don't have any of that :(

If I want to make it this weekend, I'll have to try it with just the bacon.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I hope it turns out well!

I don't have any of that :(

If I want to make it this weekend, I'll have to try it with just the bacon.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I hope it turns out well!

Just use plenty of bacon, coated with lots of pepper. Don't cook the bacon until crispy. It should be limp, and in inch squares.

Linda, did you make the beans? If so, how did they turn out for you?

No, I still haven't made it yet. I caught a flu bug (or possibly Covid) from my boss who recently traveled overseas, so I've been sick since last Friday. My appetite isn't exactly up to par. So I'll try it when I'm feeling better again :)

I have now made this twice. Thank you Chief. You may be gone, but your recipes live on and I think fondly of you when I make this. We really like it and I'm tweaking it to make it my recipe.

Thank you for bumping this taxy. I too have copied but still not made yet.
Question:
What do you use, or how to you make, or where do you get your 'smoked pork loin'?

Back
Top Bottom