Chief's Family Scones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Chief's Family Scones
These are definitely not the scones of the British aisles, nothing even close. But they are super tasty just the same. Serve with jams, jellies, or savory spreads, like cheddar-garlic, or Baba Ganoush.

Ingredients:
1lb Potatoes (aprox. 3 med potatoes) Cooked, peeled, and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix:
  1. 1 1/2 C warm milk
  2. 1/2 C oil
  3. 1/2 C sugar
  4. 2 eggs
  5. 1 TBS salt

If potato water is cool enough add 2TBS of Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture.
Add 7 1/2 C flour ( dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand kneading
Let raise till double then roll out and cut into 3 inch circles. Let rise for ten minutes. Fry in 250'f. oil until golden. Flip, and brown the 2nd side.

Tip: If cut into doughnut shapes, sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar, glazed, or filled with pastry cream. these make incredible doughnuts, long Johns, Bismarcks (filled doughnuts), or even sticky buns.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Looks really good, brother. I will definitely be trying to make these. I'm the worst baker in the world, so my results will be interesting. I've never actually baked anything that came out "great".

So, if not like British scones, what are they like in shape and texture?

Last edited:
Chief, your family must be the only one that calls these "scones". I have been making from-scratch scones for at least a decade and a half and have never seen a recipe calling for yeast...or potatoes. Scones are a quick "bread", made with baking powder.

Your recipe looks more like my Great Aunt's for authentic Polish paçzki. I found an online recipe similar to hers: http://www.grouprecipes.com/18995/paczki---little-pillow-polish-doughnuts.html

Spudnuts are made with potatoes, too, but they're too light and fluffy to be traditional paçzki. Old-fashioned paçzki are more like a "sinker" donut.

Chief, your family must be the only one that calls these "scones". I have been making from-scratch scones for at least a decade and a half and have never seen a recipe calling for yeast...or potatoes. Scones are a quick "bread", made with baking powder.

Your recipe looks more like my Great Aunt's for authentic Polish paçzki. I found an online recipe similar to hers: Paczki - Little Pillow Polish Doughnuts Recipe

Spudnuts are made with potatoes, too, but they're too light and fluffy to be traditional paçzki. Old-fashioned paçzki are more like a "sinker" donut.

:)I didn't originate the name. However, one of my Uncle's wife made them, the way we do. Her family, again from the Eastern U.P., called them scones as well. My wife's parents, from Southern Cal. did the same. It's not unheard of. Most people call them yeast raised fry bread, or beignet, Spudnuts, yeast raised pastry, etc. If made without the potato, and with baking powder, it becomes Native American fry bread. Oh, and I love Paczki. Do you have a recipe?

...Oh, and I love Paczki. Do you have a recipe?...
Sadly, no. Or maybe? :ermm: I don't know! When I cleaned out Mom's house, I brought home a box full of recipe card boxes, binders, scraps of paper - and gave a couple recipe card boxes to Loverly, too. So far I haven't run across a family recipe. I don't know if there is one written down.

I have looked a lot online, hoping I can find a photo of what my Nana made. The finished product had a rough surface, like a fried cake donut, but was almost round as a ball. I did recently read an article saying that the old-fashioned way was to fill the raw dough securely before frying, rather than poking a hole in the finished donut and filling it. The Polish matriarch of the clan pointed out the importance of making sure the dough is securely sealed to prevent leaks. ;)

Sadly, no. Or maybe? :ermm: I don't know! When I cleaned out Mom's house, I brought home a box full of recipe card boxes, binders, scraps of paper - and gave a couple recipe card boxes to Loverly, too. So far I haven't run across a family recipe. I don't know if there is one written down.

I have looked a lot online, hoping I can find a photo of what my Nana made. The finished product had a rough surface, like a fried cake donut, but was almost round as a ball. I did recently read an article saying that the old-fashioned way was to fill the raw dough securely before frying, rather than poking a hole in the finished donut and filling it. The Polish matriarch of the clan pointed out the importance of making sure the dough is securely sealed to prevent leaks. ;)

An online search brought me to this recipe - https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/polish-paczki-donuts-recipe/. It looks like it will do the trick. tell me what you think.

Back
Top Bottom