Chief's Char Sieu Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Char Siue Pork: the recipe calls for Boston Butt, 2 to 3 lb. The store was out. So, I purchased a fresh shoulder picknick (uncured, not smoked), same size, but bone in. I scored the ham all the way around to let the char sieu marinade soak in. It's marinating nos, and will be for the next 4 hours. I will be cooking it in the InstaPot, under pressure, then slicing, and glazing before finishing under the broiler. I just hope it works with the fresh picnick. I'll be serving it over rice, and with glazed carrots. Wish me luck.

Char Siue Pork: the recipe calls for Boston Butt, 2 to 3 lb. The store was out. So, I purchased a fresh shoulder picknick (uncured, not smoked), same size, but bone in. I scored the ham all the way around to let the char sieu marinade soak in. It's marinating nos, and will be for the next 4 hours. I will be cooking it in the InstaPot, under pressure, then slicing, and glazing before finishing under the broiler. I just hope it works with the fresh picnick. I'll be serving it over rice, and with glazed carrots. Wish me luck.
Are you making the char siu sauce, or did you buy it? I made some a month or so ago. I looked for the ingredients for the sauce but I gave up and bought a jar.

I use:
Hoisin sauce
Ah-So sauce (can be purchased on Amazon if your store dosen't carry it) give the
Chinese 5 spice
Honey - to taste - optional

ah_so_sauce.jpg

It came out tasting amazing. The fresh picnic, and marinade were placed into the InstaPot. I used the hi-pressure setting on he InstaPot for 40 minutes. The fresh ham was marinated for 4 hours, after the skin was scored. When done, the meat was removed, and the sauce used to cover the sliced/cut picnic. Half of the sauce was reduced, with an additional 2 tbs. honey, 3 tbs. rice wine vinegar, 3 tbs. dark brown sugar, 2 tbs. soy sauce, 1/4 tsp. 5-spice, and 2 tbs. hoisin sauce added. While the char siu was cooking, I made fried rice with shrimp. I added a bit of garlic powder, and 5-spice to the rice. It came out very good as well. The meal isn't picture worthy, as removing the meat from the bone-in picnic didn't make for attractive slices. Suffice it to say that the color was red and beautiful, highlighting the meat. The final glaze was sticky, and delicious. Here's the ingredient list:
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 cup light soy sauce
  • 2 tbs. Mirin
  • 1 tbs. grated ginger
The glaze was poured evenly over the pork slices, and all was placed into a 450' F. oven for ten minutes. Everyone really liked it, including me.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom