Chief's Best BLT, And a Kosher sub for Carlie D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My best BLT (actually a BLOT) is a double decker on toasted Jewish rye. Here's how it's constructed:

*3 slices Jewish Rye bread, slightly toasted
*2 ripe, tart fresh tomatoes, sliced into 8 slices
*2 tbs. Miracle Whip Salad dressing, divided
*2 leaves iceberg lettuce (crunchy leaves)
*8 slices thick cut bacon
*1 thin slice sweet onion, divided into strips

Fry bacon until it just begins to crisp, but not hard-crunchy (I like to put a bacon press on top to keep the bacon flat,). Slather two slices of the toasted rye with equal amounts of salad dressing. For the first layer, lay bacon strip on top of a salad dressing coated slice, followed by tomato, onion strips, and finally, lettuce. Place plain side of second salad dressing coated toast slice on top. Again cover with bacon, tomato, onion, lettuce, and 3rd piece of toast.

This construction separates parts that would be slippery against each other, making the sandwich easier to handle, and keeping the toast from getting soggy from the juicy tomato (I leave the gel and seeds in, as they have the best flavor). The rye bread is a spectacular flavor for this sandwich. The onion ads both flavor, and texture.

So, how do you construct you BLT

For Carlie D:
I'm giving you a link for Kosher bacon. It might not exactly replicate pork bacon, but is very tasty, especially when smoked. https://yaykosher.com/kosher-bacon/ After that, I don't know if the salad dressing is kosher or not. Substitute extra virgin olive oil if it isn't.
Build as above listed BLT.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom