Chief's Asian Chicken Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This recipe is copied with my permission from one of me own cookbooks. I share it with everyone on DC. Although I usually make these to go ith rice, or noodles, with a pineapple sweet & sour sauce, they are great made into mini meatballs, and added to Asian themed soups as well. Give them a try. IMHO, they are yummy.

Asian Chicken Meatballs
There's this great restaurant just down the road a bit from my home. They serve some fine food at this place. One of my wife's favorite dishes served at this establishment is chicken meatballs. They are good. I've had them.
Well, to make a long story short, I had to try to make something similar at home. The results of my efforts (and this is according to my wife, folks) are chicken meat balls of superior quality to the ones found at the restaurant. These are especially good with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.
Ingredients:
  • 1 large chicken breast
  • 2 large chicken thighs
  • 3 stalks celery
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
  • 1 medium egg, lightly beaten

Skin and remove the chicken from the bones (save the skin) and either mince in food‑processor, or run through a meat grinder. Mince the garlic and add with the onion powder to the meat. Finely chop the celery and add it to the chicken with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
The trick to these meatballs is egg. Lacking sufficient fat to hold them together, the protein rich egg white coats each morsel of meat, acting like the fat in a hamburger. It binds them.
Shape into 1 inch meatballs and gently Sauté until lightly browned on all sides. Serve with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce, white rice and butter, and with steamed carrots. Arrange artistically on dark plates and serve.
Makes approximately 24 meatballs.

Use the skin, and bones to make chicken broth for the sweet & sour sauce, or cry the skins until well browned and crispy. Lightly salt and serve crumbled over the rice, or noodles for an amazing flavor pop.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

"bump" from 2 years ago. Has anyone made these meatballs by Chief? Was wondering also if anyone had frozen them and how did they fare?
Have earmarked this to make soon as I purchased chicken breasts to make some WonTons but have extra meat.
Thought I'd give these a try. Have only made meatballs for soup one other time but as they were pork wasn't sure how the chicken would go.
Any suggestions?

Strikes me as adapted more than I'd do.

Skip the onion powder. Finely chop some green onion. Two should do it. If you cut them in half lengthwise, then chop, they stick in the mix better than the thin circles tend to.

The seasoning seems a bit skimpy too. Salt too low for the volume, same with the five spice. Needs some white pepper imho. I'd be tempted to reach for some "Chicken MSG"-- powdered chicken base to give some saltiness and savory notes.

Double the five spice, fry off some of the mix and taste for seasoning and see if it needs more. Maybe a bit of oyster sauce too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom