Chef John's ACS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slum Gullion with a "celebrity chef's" recipe, copyrighted no doubt, and made with grass-fed beef.
Okey dokey then.

Really? Chef John is a long-time member of this group, with an avid following on both You Tube and All Recipes. You may not like it, but there is no need to be snarky.

Interesting video. A lot more ingredients than I ever put into ACS. Also, I'm surprised he used jarred pasta sauce and left out the green bell pepper and tomato paste.

I watched that video last night, and it looks like another version of American Chop Suey. The name is probably a regional thing.

And, any one of us could be a celebrity chef, using a fake name. Who is to say for sure that Guy Ferry, AKA Guy Fieri doesn't use the name of his beloved but departed dog to post on this forum. :cool:

CD

Apparently [FONT=&quot]this goes by many names, including American Goulash, American Chop Suey, [FONT=&quot]Chili Mac, Johnny Marzetti, and my personal favorite, [/FONT]Slumgullion.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had never heard of any of it before coming to Discuss Cooking, but then our school didn't have a cafeteria and no lunch ladies. My Mom sure never made anything like it either.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I've made a version of it a couple times, and it's quite tasty.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Apparently [FONT=&quot]this goes by many names, including American Goulash, American Chop Suey, [FONT=&quot]Chili Mac, Johnny Marzetti, and my personal favorite, [/FONT]Slumgullion.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had never heard of any of it before coming to Discuss Cooking, but then our school didn't have a cafeteria and no lunch ladies. My Mom sure never made anything like it either.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I've made a version of it a couple times, and it's quite tasty.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

As a kid, it was called macaroni and hamburg. Not hamburger, but hamburg. Sloppy Joes were hamburg barbecue. My dad is 87, and still says hamburg. That's what his father called it, so that's what it is. :LOL:

CD

As a kid, it was called macaroni and hamburg. Not hamburger, but hamburg. Sloppy Joes were hamburg barbecue. My dad is 87, and still says hamburg. That's what his father called it, so that's what it is. :LOL:

CD

Of course it’s hamburg. A hamburger is a sandwich.

Never heard of him. I love love Chef John, though.

Like Kay said, the recipe reminds me of Johnny Marzetti, which my mom used to make quite a bit. However, I don't make it often because no one but me likes it.

LOL. James is a DC member who has a health issue that has made him go vegetarian. He is very creative, and makes vegetarian dishes that sound good even to diehard carnivores, like me. He has a blog, and many videos of his cooking. He's also from cajun country, so he knows a lot about that cooking, too.

CD

LOL. James is a DC member who has a health issue that has made him go vegetarian. He is very creative, and makes vegetarian dishes that sound good even to diehard carnivores, like me. He has a blog, and many videos of his cooking. He's also from cajun country, so he knows a lot about that cooking, too.

CD

Very cool, thanks, CD. Although I'm not a vegetarian (I eat mostly chicken and seafood) I absolutely love vegetarian dishes. In fact today for lunch I had zucchini and fresh sweet corn on the cob, both from my local farm market. I also often eat veggie burgers and anything to do with tomatoes, onions and avocado - three of my favorite things to eat.

CD

Yup, and around here he goes by powerplantop.

Yep....I LOVE watching James (powerplantop's) videos, and have followed them for several years. Never been disappointed in making any of his recipes, either. :yum: Silversage probably meant James - I don't think Chef John is a member here, although ya never know...lol

https://www.youtube.com/user/powerplantop

oops, sorry...I just saw that Aunt Bea posted the same link. I don't remember what my mom and dad used to call this, but we had pretty much the same thing when my brother and I were kids. Probably depended upon what my mom had to use up. It's a nice comfort dish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom