Cheezy Puffs/Crispy Ranch Crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
A few trial and errors I've managed to get it right.
Just finished making the best batches yet. These are extremely simple to make. Nothing too drawn out for the ingredients. Most already have the staples hanging around looking for a new home. 30-40 minutes from start to finish and you have some really good munchies.

Cheezy Puffed Crackers

1 1/2 sticks of butter ( Room Temp )
2 Cups AP flour ( sifted )
3 Cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese ( Grated as finely as possible )
1 Tsp Kosher Salt--- Keep it handy, your going to need a little more of it soon.
Good dash of Cayenne Pepper.

Preheat the oven @325
Prepare the cookie sheets with butter

Using the paddle for the KA whip the butter, salt, pepper.
Gradually on low add the flour. Until the mix is finely crumbled.
Still on low setting add the cheese. Mix until the bowl is completely cleaned, The DOH!" should be a soft ball.

Wrap the DOH!" in saran wrap. Let it rest 15 or so minutes on the counter
Keep the Homies out of it :)

Roll out as thin as possible. 1/8" was good here.

Using a cooking cutter, DOH!" cutter or a pizza wheel cut out the pieces. I used the wheel. Place them on the buttered cookie sheet. Sprinkle the tops with a little Kosher salt.
Bake for about 10-15 minutes. Depending on how toasted you like the puffs. I went 15 minutes. When done slide them on a baking rack to cool.

This recipe filled 2 large sized cookie sheets.

Crispy Ranch Crackers:
Butter the cookie sheets
Bake @350 15-18 minutes

5 Table spoons of Butter ( Room temp )
1/14 Cups of AP flour ( sifted )
1/2 Tsp of Kosher Salt-- Keep it handy.
1 Tsp Baking Powder
6 Tables spoons of Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Table spoon of water ( if the dough after adding the ingredients is a little dry.)
1- 16oz package of Hidden Valley Dip mix. I used the Original. I'm sure Italian Dressing would work for these to.

Whip the butter, salt, and dressing mix until it's fully incorporated.
Sift the flour and baking powder together. Add it to the bowl with the heavy cream.
Mix on low until it forms a soft ball.
If it's not mixing, the DOH!" after a 10 minute run, is too crumbly, now is the time to add the water.
Now it should be ready to play nice.

Roll it into a ball, cover and let it rest 15 minutes or so on the counter.

Roll the dough out to 1/8" using a biscuit cutter the smallest I had was 3"
Cut and place on the buttered cookie sheet. Prick the tops with a fork. Sprinkle on the Kosher salt.

Bake 15-18 minutes. I went 18.
Rack to cool. These should be crispy. If the get a little soggy exposed to the air, they can be re crisped in the oven.

This batch filled 1 large cookie sheet.
Made some Ranch dip for dippin'

Enjoy!

Munky.

img_1195093_0_b360e53e1263226126cb2aff27e421cb.jpg

img_1195093_1_84f75d12e02e3bf42d160b150bcd8321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Munky! These sound so good! I have to try them soon. What did you serve them with? Oops! I see you made some ranch dip. Yum!

Last edited:
Good heavens GIRL these look so good. You've been a busy beaver. WOW to have your strength.
Thanks for sharing with all of us.
kades (ma)

When I first read the title, I thought you were using the orange cheese puffs. All I could think of was an orange colored recipe. I need a vacation. I have been thinking too hard. :angel:

Time to get in the kitchen! I have several recipes I want to try today, the cheese puffs, the butter puff pastry for pot pies...another gingerbread recipe...I best get off the computer and get baking!

Munky, I read your recipe and thought, "these sound great" and then I saw the picture. They look fantastic too. I just love how they look like little pillows! Thanks so much. Another keeper!

When I first read the title, I thought you were using the orange cheese puffs. All I could think of was an orange colored recipe. I need a vacation. I have been thinking too hard. :angel:

Lol, no store bought puffs here. It is Autumn. Your mind is all set for the beautiful fall colors. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Munky.

Those went fast here. What a hit! Those just melt in your mouth. Great flavor.
Glad I put some away for tonight's dinner. Making this. The puffs will be put on top. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f59/crock-pot-chorizo-and-lentil-soup-75801.html

My GR grabbed the sleeve on my robe this morning when I woke up. That means just one thing. find it! He led me all over the kitchen. The last place I saw the bowl was on the counter. We found it on the coffee table. " GIMME MOM HURRY!"

Hubby got up for work. Fist thing he said was those crackers were fantastic! He used the dip I made and tried cream cheese spread on the Ranch. Those will now be on the Super Bowl snack platter.

Enjoy!

Munky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom