Cheesy Beef Macaroni Casserole or "Oubba Gubba"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wencassi88

Assistant Cook
My Mom used to make a casserole she called "Oubba Gubba", no clue how to spell it, I know most of the ingredients but need help, please. It's commonly called something like Cheesy Beef Macaroni Casserole but is is basically like Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni with corn and chili powder baked as a casserole. Here is what I remember: You use ground beef, elbow macaroni, a large chunk of Velveeta cheese, 2 or 3 cans of corn WITH the juice {NOT cream corn} and mix it all until the Velveeta and corn juices make a creamy sauce. Then you add some chili powder and bake it for about 30 minutes. I know this recipe has a name but this isn't it and I have searched thru all of her recipes and cannot find it. She passed away and I need your help to make this for the kids and grand kids who loved it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks much!

It might help to know what part of the country this came from. Your mom probably learned it young, and it may have been a popular dish where she grew up.

So many of these kind of dishes come from a particular area. Posting a little family history might get a DC member to think, "Oh, I remember that, but we called it..."

CD

Welcome to the group!!

Here's my version of Hamburger Helper. I have used elbows or small pasta shells to make this. You can add ingredients and adapt it to your liking. Hope this helps.

Ms. Mofet's Homemade Cheezburger Mac Helper

img_1506761_0_f5adf0e5f1101d7299f2ca4c963d5c02.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to DC, wencassi88..

I agree that it may be a regional thing.. You know the basics so, make it your own as suggested.. Naming it after mom is a great idea too.. :yum:

I'm from Iowa and back in the 60's my mother made a casserole that was very similar. I've got no clue where she found the recipe but I do have her recipe box and will take a look.

I looked in her recipe box with no luck. I do have some of her old church cookbooks and will czech them out later.

The one recipe I found with a search was close. I know her's had no cheese.

For something like that I would just fry up the meat, add cheese and meat and then mix with the pasta.

However I got something much worse, might cause a heart attack. Kill yourself on this;

Fairly good size baking pan req'd. Take maybe five or so potatoes, peel and slice, by hand. You want them uneven, some thicker than others.

Fry up a pound or two of ground beef depending on the size of this thing.

Deep fry the potatoes, not brown but just enough to put a skin on them.

Then layer them up. Potatoes, then meat, then (sliced) cheese. Potatoes, then meat, then cream of celery soup. Then cheese. Potatoes, meat, cream of mushroom soup then cheese.

Keep on until the casserole is full. bake, err 30 to 45mins. Then stir the whole mess up.

Throw the casserole right on the table, you want a serving dish then go to a classy restaurant.

T

Back
Top Bottom