Cheap stainless steel pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
A few days ago I bought a cheap stainless steel pot and
it was used carefully and accordingly but only after a few uses
kind of brown stain appears around the edge of the pot (I
forgot to take pictures), and it's kind of stain that couldn't
be ever removed at all with scrubber, I never over boiled anything
but the stain just appeared and something odd was - the stain
was like permanent, no matter how hard I scrubbed it, nothing
was changed. Was it a sign of cheap stainless steel?

Try wetting a cloth or a sponge and squeeze as much of the water out as possible, so it is just damp. Pour a little bit of baking soda, about 1 to 2 teaspoons on a plate. Dip a corner of the damp cloth or sponge in the baking soda. A little bit of the baking soda will stick to the cloth or sponge. Now try rubbing the stain on the pot. The pot should be dry. See if that will remove the stain. If it seems to be working, keep dipping and rubbing.

Last edited:
Try wetting a cloth or a sponge and squeeze as much of the water out as possible, so it is just damp. Pour a little bit of baking soda, about 1 to 2 teaspoons on a plate. Dip a corner of the damp cloth or sponge in the baking soda. A little bit of the baking soda will stick to the cloth or sponge. Now try rubbing the stain on the pot. The pot should be dry. See if that will remove the stain. If it seems to be working, keep dipping and rubbing.

How to determine the quality of a stainless steel cookware?
Is a heavier one always better for the similar specification?
I saw a 18cm stainless steel pot yesterday by TEFAL it was really heavy... does a heavy stainless steel reflect its quality?

In most things you can buy, "you get what you pay for", and "buy what you can afford" are good consumer mantras to live by. Meaning, the more you pay, the better the quality. Of course, this isn't always true, but more often than not, it is.

Also, take time to read reviews from reputable sources.

Sometimes it's just what happens.

What brand of pot?

I have glasses that get stained for no reason as well as other kitchen gear.

How to determine the quality of a stainless steel cookware?
Is a heavier one always better for the similar specification?
I saw a 18cm stainless steel pot yesterday by TEFAL it was really heavy... does a heavy stainless steel reflect its quality?

Question for you kenny - what kind of range are you using? Generally speaking, with electric ranges, you can get by with the cheaper types of SS, with just a disk on the bottom, but if you are cooking with gas, you need the heavier, more expensive types, in which the sandwiched metals run up the sides. Otherwise, the thin metal past the disks on the bottoms will get gas over them, and maybe burn the food beneath it (this can also happen with a smaller disk pan over a larger electric burner). Years ago I gave all mine away, when I got my house, and my long awaited gas range.

I do have a number of SS pans with the wafer metal up the sides, and I went to look to see if any had that discoloration it often gets, to see if this is something like what you are talking about. It seems most get it, but I'm not sure what does it, and why it only happens occasionally. Only one of the pans had it now - and very little, which is probably why I hadn't bothered eliminating it. I do this very simply with Barkeeper's Friend. I took a photo of this pan, showing the area with sort of a blueish/brownish iridescence. The second photo shows a very small bit of the Barkeeper's Friend spread on with some water, with my fingertips. And that's it! The color is gone. I tried rinsing it out, to show the clear area, but almost all the discoloration was gone, simply from the oxalic acid in the BF washing over the surface!
Discoloration on SS Cuisinart pan. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Discoloration on SS removed with Barkeeper's Friend by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
is any type of stainless steel pans good? What if its a cheap price one? But any health concern of it if there is damage to it inside? Such as imagine it looks l like there is corrosion or something is coming off?

So does the stainless steel pan need to have any requirements? Such as make sure it isn't a cheap price pan? imagine you see a $15 dollar stainless steel pan. Do you need to make sure it says 18/10 on it? Does it need to say high quality stainless steel on it?

What brand are good? What about gibson overseas? Or does any brand work as long as it says stainless steel even if its a cheap brand? But if its not good quality stainless steel, is it dangerous to use? There is no toxicity in it if there is corrosion or anything like that? imagine like spots inside it due to grease or not cleaning it good or scrbbing it too hard or with wrong thing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom