Ceramic dishes stains on one small area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I have a quality ceramic cup that is big but only stain on a small area that couldn't be even be scrubbed clean, I don't understand why it just stains in that small area but isn't other, I didn't intend to serve anything staining, even if I did, why it just left mark on one area not the other. Is it normal for ceramic dishes to see this hard or impossible to clean

Last edited:
I seen it happen with knife marks on plates. I found if I got to them right away I could lessen the stain but sometimes not remove all of it.

Can you get one of those white sponge scrubbers (from Mr Clean or a generic one).. They work wonders with stains!

Attachments

• MAGIC ERASER.jpg
    MAGIC ERASER.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 29
I seen it happen with knife marks on plates. I found if I got to them right away I could lessen the stain but sometimes not remove all of it.

Can you get one of those white sponge scrubbers (from Mr Clean or a generic one).. They work wonders with stains!

I can't get these Mr. Clean but I scrubbed it with scotch brite already, it's still so stubborn that isn't removed

No, you're right, I don't think Scotch Brite would work.

Are you able to order from Amazon? Look up Magic Erasers. If you can get Scotch Brite you should be able to find those Magic Erasers.

Even if not called that, they are white, super fine synthetic sponges.

The stain could be under the ceramic glaze caused by an impurity in the underlying material.

The stain could be under the ceramic glaze caused by an impurity in the underlying material.

sounds like the truth, because all other area could be scrubbed clean nicely and perfectly when stained, but that particular area couldn't be cleaned even a little bit

I have a quality ceramic cup that is big but only stain on a small area that couldn't be even be scrubbed clean, I don't understand why it just stains in that small area but isn't other, I didn't intend to serve anything staining, even if I did, why it just left mark on one area not the other. Is it normal for ceramic dishes to see this hard or impossible to clean
Sometimes a "hot spot" will occur on certain poured ceramics. It forms at the area where the clay first hits the mold, even though the mold is not hot at the time. Sometimes the hot spot is apparent right when the item is removed from the kiln, sometimes it shows up a little later. It isn't dirt. It's underneath the glaze. It isn't harmful, just annoying.

CG, it's true, the 'hot spot' created by the pouring of liquid clay (commonly called slip) can, over time, create a spot on the poured object. If memory serves, this is a less porous spot, making it more difficult for colour and/or glaze to stick.
Usually when this happens the most common occurrence is a discolouration under the glaze.

But, the only way a stain on top could result is if the glaze itself is compromised over that spot.

Kenny, perhaps you had something strongly acidic in the cup? No matter what, IMHO, it is only unsightly and still safe to use.

CG, it's true, the 'hot spot' created by the pouring of liquid clay (commonly called slip) can, over time, create a spot on the poured object. If memory serves, this is a less porous spot, making it more difficult for colour and/or glaze to stick.
Usually when this happens the most common occurrence is a discolouration under the glaze.

But, the only way a stain on top could result is if the glaze itself is compromised over that spot.

Kenny, perhaps you had something strongly acidic in the cup? No matter what, IMHO, it is only unsightly and still safe to use.

It was a free cup that came with a value pack of Guinness beer so I suppose it should be of acceptable quality because Guinness is a well reputed brand

Even the highest quality products can have a defect slip through.

After about 4 Guinness in the cup you probably won't even notice.

Rust is remarkably invasive. I don't know how it happens, but often ceramics and stainless steel can get a small rust marks if left in contact with a rusting metal.

Maybe throuch a microfracture of the glaze? I dunno.

Try brushing the spot, then soaking it in something like CLR.

Back
Top Bottom