Cataplana Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmyap

Sous Chef
Giving proper credit, I found this recipe in my local newspaper. I hope the copywrite police aren't on their way to me house.

CATAPLANA
1 pound chard or kale

1 onion, sliced thin

Salt and pepper

3 Yukon gold or red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices 

12 ounces Portuguese sausage, sliced) I swapped for the firm chorizo
1 pound fish such as mahimahi, nairage, monchong or shutome (swordfish)

1 pound Kauai shrimp or other shellfish, shelled and deveined

2 large, ripe tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces, or a pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half

1 whole lemon, seeded and sliced thin

1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced into thin strips

1/4 cup capers

2 cups dry white wine

1/2 cup olive oil

For chard, cut leaves lengthwise through the stem, then cut into 1/2-inch wide strips crosswise. For kale, remove stems and discard; stack leaves and cut into 1/2-inch wide strips crosswise.

In cataplana or other deep saucepan, place chard or kale at the bottom, then add onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add potatoes in a layer, top with sausage.

Layer fish and shrimp, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add tomatoes in a layer, top with lemon, bell pepper and capers. Pour white wine and olive oil over all.

Seal cataplana or cover saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and cook 20 minutes.
Carefully remove cover and ladle ingredients into bowls along with broth. Serves 6.
Approximate nutritional information, per serving (based on chard and mahimahi and not including salt to taste): 700 calories, 35 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 215 mg cholesterol, greater than 1400 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 39 g protein.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom