Carrabbas John Cole Pecans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gideonn

Assistant Cook
I have tried to replicate the pecan recipe from Carrabas for years. I haven’t ever been able to get the pecans to be as fragile and crumbley as they seem to. I’m missing a step and I’ve been unable to get anything from the restaurant as to what I’m missing. I think now they either fry them before coating them with the egg whites, rum, cinnamon & sugar or perhaps boil them. I normally use a convection oven to bake them but the pecans maintain a lot of their body, where the restaurant seem to be almost like air when you break them apart? The proteins and body of the pecans are almost nonexistent. I’m looking for any suggestions on what I’m missing. I have the coating down to a science, I just want to get the full process down to fully replicate them. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I’m missing? .

Welcome to DC.

Have you considered writing to restaurant headquarters and asking for the recipe? Sometimes they'll do it as a public relations thing. It's worked for me.

I actually spoke with management at two of the local restaurants. Both of which my family has frequented over the last decade (in one case two) in both instances I provided the steps I had worked out to make them and the only response I was able to get was, “You’re very close.” I emailed Corp after Andy’s suggestion and was told something like, “Our recipes are proprietary.” I will prob fry GI snail Mail then next but they’re pretty tight lipped about their recipes.

I would try roasting the pecans and cooling them before applying the egg white coating mixture then give them a second roast to set the coating mixture.

When I make them I add a big pinch of cayenne pepper to balance out the sweet with a little heat.

Last edited:
I’ve tried that. I think they may be using a caramelization prior to baking of the sugar/cinnamon/rum mixture? When you break theirs open the body of the pecan is basically all air! It’s not white in the middle at all. That’s why I was thinking they may fry them? I like mine, but theirs is more of a crouton version of a pecan if that makes sense?

How about partially dehydrating them at some point before coating them.

I actually spoke with management at two of the local restaurants. Both of which my family has frequented over the last decade (in one case two) in both instances I provided the steps I had worked out to make them and the only response I was able to get was, “You’re very close.” I emailed Corp after Andy’s suggestion and was told something like, “Our recipes are proprietary.” I will prob fry GI snail Mail then next but they’re pretty tight lipped about their recipes.

Keep trying! Still, I suggest asking the server for your table next time.
A lowly employee might be less inclined to keep it a secret.

Back
Top Bottom