Caramel treat or Arequipe - Dulce de Leche (As best known in Latin America)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruufe

Assistant Cook
I recently came across this Colombian treat called Arequipe or Dulce de leche. Jezzzzzz what a delicious treat. Now, according to various researches, it is believed that the delicious arequipe arrived in Latin America at the hands of the Spanish. As far as I know, it was inherited from Arabia, Indonesia and the Philippines. Although there is not complete clarity about these territories. The Colombian arequipe is a milk-based preparation. The milk is reduced with sugar until the typical creamy consistency is achieved. Originally, this dulce de leche was white, but over time, ingredients rich in baking soda were added, giving it the brown color that characterizes it in many areas of Latin America.

The arequipe is also known as manjar blanco or cajeta in some LatAm countries. I some how came across an online store called Ruufe. It has some of the most tastiest Colombian snacks. Some people used to refer to the Colombian Supermarket but it now has many more snacks from other LatAm countries. I would give it a shot and start experiencing different snacks from LatAm.

Easy Dulce de Leche:
1 can sweetened, condensed nilk
1 qt. water.

Preheat oven to 425' F.
Pout sweetened condensed milk into a 8 inch square baking dish. Cover with foul. Place larger baking dish into the oven center. Place smaller dish into it. Add water to 3/4 up the sides of the smaller dish. Bake for 90 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Remove foil stir, and enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom