Canning tomatoes (soon peaches)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
So far I've canned or am in the process of canning a light tomato sauce (not thick sauce) because our tomato harvest will not be large. It uses the tomatoes entirely, peel, seeds, pulp, juice, blended in a blender then boiled. These tomatoes are early girls and roma II.

So far this year we have or will have, today 20 qts and 1 pint, and tomatoes are still coming in, slowly.

Usually tomatoes are the thing we can the most of, usually around 80-100 quarts. This year we'll focus on corn from the farmer's market, green beans from the garden. Peaches are currently on sale, so I'll make 18 pints of peach salsa, for a quick meal over brown basmati rice or brown rice.

Here's the recipe: https://extension.usu.edu/utah/files/recipes-cooking-canning/Peach-Salsa-Recipe.pdf

After the tomatoes we canned corn but they only had enough for 1 7-qt batch for canning. We have about 20 + qts canned but we'll can more, to last for the year.

Today we made peach salsa, two batches from the recipe above, 20 pints, and some extra for the fridge.

@blissful now I wish I'd seen this earlier... one of my Neighborhood Gal Pals gave me 2 dozen fresh Peaches from the tree where she works. They were a bit ripe, so I quickly canned them as large slices/quarters ... IMG_2113.JPG
My first ever go at canning Peaches or Fruit for that matter, I don't think I did a terribly good job of it, but Mom said that they are DELICIOUS! I got 6 half pints, again, I think I'll stagger when she gets a jar and hold them back for the Winter.

@blissful now that I know that my friend's work place has a Peach tree that's edible, I'll be on the look out for next year and put up more. She had just started working there and the Peaches were done pretty quick shortly after that.
Also, I saw a huge Apple Tree on the side of our bank a few weeks a ago ... it's just groaning with fruit already. When inquired if I could pick some they told me to have at it. Not sure if they're edible and it's right along a very busy byway in town. Mom (and myself as well) love Chunky Applesauce, lovely too in the Winter.

K-apples are all edible (I've ever heard), some keep their shape when cooked, some go right to mush, some are wetter and some are drier, some are naturally sweet when ripe, others stay more sour/tangy. We use one of those peeler/corer/slicers, dip them in vitamin C water (to keep them from browning), fill an 18 qt roaster, open, all day, until 2/3rds or 1/2 the volume, add lemon, taste and add sugar if you want (optional) then can. We have two trees but only fruit from one-it seems to be most like a cortland apple, goes to mush right away and we can without sugar and use it in baking all year round. (we do pears this way too) I hope you can make good use of the apples if you get them!

For peaches, I like to make chutney. I just use a mango chutney recipe and substitute peaches. I can buy canned peaches, but it's harder to find good chutney.

that peach salsa is a great idea! For some reason our peaches didn't ripen on time this year. Theya re still fairly young and we haven't gotten a bit crop yet. We had a bunch of peaches, but they didn't ripen. They are small and just kinda ripening now ( should have been in July). Now I have something to make with them.

Back
Top Bottom