Canning soup - question about the chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockergirl

Assistant Cook
I think this may be a silly question but I want to double check because now I hesitate to eat it. I followed an approved recipe for a southwest style chicken soup for canning. The recipe stated to boil the chicken and then cube or shred it. I wanted more flavor to the chicken, so instead of boiling, I cut it into cubes and browned it in a skillet. I felt like that was okay because hot packing plain chicken, you can brown it in an oven (which I do in a skillet instead), so I figured it was okay to brown in a skillet instead of boiling like the soup recipe stated. Now I'm second guessing myself because I have read several caution on changing recipes because it's tested based on certain factors....I may be overthinking this one but I know myself and without reassurance, one way or another, I will probably never eat it and that was a double batch (not cheap....)

Food safety wise, I don't know but can't imagine it would make much of a difference. I would feel okay about roasting or browning in a skillet. The only thing that roasting or pan frying could do is reduce the amount of moisture IN the chicken. Since you are making soup, you should have lots of liquid surrounding the chicken, so that would make up any difference.

Food safety wise, I don't know but can't imagine it would make much of a difference. I would feel okay about roasting or browning in a skillet. The only thing that roasting or pan frying could do is reduce the amount of moisture IN the chicken. Since you are making soup, you should have lots of liquid surrounding the chicken, so that would make up any difference.
Okay, thank you. That is what the "smart" side of my brain was telling me, ha! But then I had this other side saying...."well, is that really smart....?" - I still get really nervous every time I eat one of my home canned foods and I've been doing this for about a year now....I do eat it, and it's good, but every night after I eat it, I still sweat the next 18-24 hours (the botulism window....). I have no idea why and I'm hoping one day I will get past that....I assume it comes with more experience. I really do enjoy canning!

I think we all go through that, especially in the beginning. Even old-timers go through it when they forget a step!

Back
Top Bottom