Canned Chili Too Salty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
How would I go about decreasing the sodium?
The canned chili that I'm referring to is Bush's Chili Magic Chili Starter Texas Medium. Just add meat and tomatoes.
Picked up a case because it's pretty much just me eating it.
Why make a huge pot of home made if it's just going to tossed out?
Took a look at the nutrition facts because I thought it was too salty in taste.
Sodium per 1 15.5oz can is 1220 mg.
No wonder I've been avoiding eating it. Salt doesn't get added to anything here unless it's absolutely necessary.
Any suggestions?

Munky.

Of the canned brands, I found that I liked the Wolf brand the best.

For your too salty chili, add a can of diced tomato, a can of dark red kidney beans, and a little more chili powder. Get the lo, or no salt kidney beans, and use the can liquor to help dilute the salt.

Seeeeya; Chif Longwind of the NOrth

You can either add more ingredients to dilute the salt or add a touch of sugar to mask the flavor. The risk with both methods is that it will change the flavor.

I know you have a case of this stuff, but there really isn't a way to thin out the salt without totally thinning out the chili. You can use less, and add fresh ingredients like onion, peppers, tomatoes... or make it taste less salty with sugar and acid (ketchup, apple cider vinegar, BBQ sauce, etc.).

With all that said, I too am a single guy and always make 5 quarts of chili in my crockpot. After siphoning off the night's first portion, I put the crockpot liner in a sink of cold water. After dinner, I leave one more portion in the crockpot liner (and refrigerate for the next day or two), and transfer the rest of it into pint containers (usually leftover ice cream containers) and freeze them.

Whenever I want chili, I thaw the content of those containers using the beef defrost setting on my microwave, and then add the contents to a saucepan on the stove. The whole process takes less than 20 minutes, and to be honest, the chili tastes "better" than the first serving of the original batch.

I took a look online to see what Good Housekeeping thought was best. To my surprise, I had to agree completely with their picks, and in the order they picked them. I forgot about Stag brand as I haven't seen it in a while. But when it was available, I thought it was the best of the canned chili brands around. Here's the link - https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-products/g32336087/best-canned-chilis/

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check the label again but I think the 1220 is for a 1/2 cup serving straight from the can.

I would try adding another can of plain kidney beans.

Also you could try serving it over plain white rice or riced cauliflower with no added salt.

If nothing seems to work donate it to the local food pantry and start over.

Good luck!

Last edited:
For salt you can increase your batch. Add more tomatoes, beef and beans.

Also look around and find a recipe that fits flavours and portions that you’re ok with and homemade chilli can be batch made and frozen so you have it just as easy next time as a can it’s just out of the freezer instead. Super easy and good.
There’s even slow cooker recipes if you want it even less maintenance

Last edited:
Guess it might not be something I would be interested in. Everything I've cooked all my 71 years has been home-cooked. I'm not much of a salt person, never have been, which makes cooking things myself so much better.

Canned goods have more salt than is necessary, which is why we have little of those things in our pantry.

Not trying to criticize but cooking from scratch seems so much easier to me and healthier.

Just me.

Canned and processed foods aren't in our house.

Again, just me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom