Candy Cane Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I tried this recipe with pretty good success although it was very difficult to get it up to 280F. It stayed just below 250F for quite a while. Anyway had tremendous trouble shaping it. When it is most workable it is too hot to handle. Maybe a candy cane mold should be used? How can brittleness be reduced? Can a glass measuring pitcher go from room temp to this hot in very short time if I wanted to measure what I'm getting and even divided it into 2 flavors?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-candy-canes/

A long time since I've made hard candy like that.

First you should test your thermometer to make sure it works properly, just like they say at the bottom of the recipe.

You ask how to reduce the brittleness. You can't - it is hard candy!

Two flavours I would also think is more difficult from one batch. As soon as you pour the hot syrup into another container it will harden around the outside, in my HO. You would be far better off just to make two batches.

Butter your hands well to work with the syrup.

I'm sure there are a few here who know a lot more than me. They should chime in soo.
Let us know how you make out!

By brittle I mean pieces of it fracture off a bit too easily. Like it's relatively dry. Jolly Ranchers for example are a bit more sticky and don't break up as easy.

As far as 2 or more flavors at one time it maybe necessary. Some candy cane recipes require 2 lines of candy wrapped around each other. I was thinking poor each into straight pole type molds for a minute or 90 seconds, then remove to bend to a more cane shape. Can glass heat up to 300F from room temperature without damage? I know fast cooling can be an issue.

I've already seen the first video. The recipe I used didn't require pulling like the taffy recipe I tried did so I wonder why it is done in these videos. It seems like it would dry it out even more and time to get the material settled into final shape is already very brief.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom