Can opener hard to open and clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I've got a number of can opener but they all got rusty easily after using for a few times and they are hard to clean thoroughly.

Last night I cleaned a can opener that hasn't been used for long time but it still left some obvious rust around the edge of the food can so I had no choice but to throw the food away

1. Any tips on cleaning a can opener so that it doesn't go rusty too fast?
2. Is it bad if some rust goes into food and I eat it?

Hi, Kenny. The only thing I can think of to prevent rusting is to dry off the can opener as soon as you finish washing it. It's not dangerous to eat a little rust, but you can wipe off the edge of the can to remove as much as possible first.

Kenny, I don't 'wash' my can openers, unless they have an awful lot of food on them. If necessary, I rinse immediately then dry them with a clean cloth.

Maybe I do it differently than others but not much food gets on them in the first place, if any at all - so why wash?

But seeing as you do, why don't you also wipe them down with some oil? Not a lot. I have a pair of kitchen scissors that will rust if not dried properly. I spray with oil and wipe down really well before putting away.

If you feel you can't get into tight spots, use an old toothbrush. Use it to 'wash' and also dry (wrap a clean thin towel around it) and last but not least, use it to oil your wheels.

Hi, Kenny. The only thing I can think of to prevent rusting is to dry off the can opener as soon as you finish washing it. It's not dangerous to eat a little rust, but you can wipe off the edge of the can to remove as much as possible first.

The key of the problem is that it's very hard, if not impossible, to reach down the cutting wheel, I don't know the name of the part that catches the can and cut and open

Aside from actually coming over and doing it for you, Kenny, I think both GG and I gave you viable answers. :LOL: Think you might give them a try?

I have never had a can opener rust on me. My can opener problem is I wear down the teeth on the gear that turns the can and so the can opener just spins.

Wait, there is one type of can opener that has rusted on me:

EtqUozaHFv_bhqvagtRdC9i2D4Nh8kzNLvnwovahFrCAn5JrUdF5yAUHjom-Wc6GkrY1=s105

LOL, I carry one of those in my purse (you know, "Be Prepared").

It has never rusted!

In the Army it's called a P-38. In the Navy it's called a John Wayne. You can get them at any Army-Navy surplus store, and they even come with a convenient hole in the upper right corner so you can put it on your key ring.

Last edited:
Mine is very loose. I even use a bit of sticky tape to keep it closed in my purse. That point is nasty - gosh - it's even nasty enough to pierce a can!

I finally decided that my old one was not meant to last forever. I got an Oxo and fell in love. I don't know if this will be an everlasting love because I've only had it for a few months and it is, after all, just a can opener.

I finally decided that my old one was not meant to last forever. I got an Oxo and fell in love. I don't know if this will be an everlasting love because I've only had it for a few months and it is, after all, just a can opener.
As my DH likes to say, everything has a life cycle. Nice to see you, Liz.

My fave is the Good Cook side cutter. I like the different cutter. Also, the opener stays clean. It doesn’t come in contact with the contents.

Back
Top Bottom