Can I sous vide without a sous vide immersion cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I'm looking at my $30 dollar Rival crock pot and a $20 external thermostat that I own. There's got to be a way to do this.

I'm looking for a way to get sous vide done in the oven. I can't think of a way to rig the external thermostat to heat the oven. I can't go from a 110 to 220 plug. There's got to be a way to heat the oven with a shop light or something that will push up to 170F. Any thoughts?

I can't either, and, I'm a bit confused.

I'm looking for a cheap way to sous vide without the immersion warmer.

I was originally thinking the oven would do great because it helps insulate. I'm leaning away from this option for longer sous vide cooks because it would be difficult to monitor the temperature.

I'm thinking a hot plate and an external thermostat might do the trick.

And a large pot. ;)

The highly rated Anova is $109 at Amazon. How much are you actually going to save making you own half fast sous vide cooker of questionable accuracy?

I can see maybe going sous vide someday. Not for cooking, but reheating my laboriously made stews and such, that I freeze, then vacuum pack. Does it rule for that or can my microwave do the same thing?

Last edited:
This is how I look at things. My time is worth something, combine that with materials that might have to be purchased and $109.00 becomes very reasonable. The time I probably would waste trying to reinvent the light bulb could be used for more constructive endeavors.;)

Sous Vide

I'm looking for a cheap way to sous vide without the immersion warmer.

I was originally thinking the oven would do great because it helps insulate. I'm leaning away from this option for longer sous vide cooks because it would be difficult to monitor the temperature.

I'm thinking a hot plate and an external thermostat might do the trick.

And a large pot. ;)

Inchrisin, Here is the answer to your question. I have one and it works
great. Has a temp probe that goes into the water. I can use it with my crock pot or my18 quart Nesco.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-...SWXY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496582780&sr=8-
1&keywords=water+temperature+controller

Josie

I promise to look into all this when I splurge $15 on a steak. Most sous vide videos that I've seen dealing with steak start with a $15 piece of meat. I'm not likely to go 2 or 3 times before I master this method, not at $14.99 a .lb. :ROFLMAO:

However, I like the idea of casually bringing a pre-cooked sous vide bag meal up to serving temp without further cooking the dish. That I like about possible sous vide cooking.

I've got a stew all frozen shrunk wrapped and all. Is sous vide for me? Do I have to thaw the stew bag first? Bummer.

Last edited:
I promise to look into all this when I splurge $15 on a steak. Most sous vide videos that I've seen dealing with steak start with a $15 piece of meat. I'm not likely to go 2 or 3 times before I master this method, not at $14.99 a .lb. :ROFLMAO:

Sous vide works great for cheaper cuts of meat. Cook to desired temp hold for a bit to tenderize a little then sear. A chuck roast done this way makes a great steak.

However, I like the idea of casually bringing a pre-cooked sous vide bag meal up to serving temp without further cooking the dish. That I like about possible sous vide cooking.

I've got a stew all frozen shrunk wrapped and all. Is sous vide for me? Do I have to thaw the stew bag first? Bummer.

You take from the freezer directly in the the sous vide bath. The stew will quickly come up to temp.

This is how I look at things. My time is worth something, combine that with materials that might have to be purchased and $109.00 becomes very reasonable. The time I probably would waste trying to reinvent the light bulb could be used for more constructive endeavors.;)

Mine, too.

It was $99.

Just stick it in the water and walk away. Electronic and foolproof

This is how I see people who want to try SV with thermostats, pumps, switches, coolers, crockpots, etc, etc.... Yes, time and experimentation are involved, but most of these people are tinkerers by nature so this is their thing. They don't mind spending hours in their "lab" (kitchen)...... :LOL:

Slow cooker temperatures vary between manufacturers. High and low settings are the amount of power they draw, and are not necessarily related to temperature, which is influenced by the amount of contents, ambient temperature, etc.

Inchrisin, Here is the answer to your question. I have one and it works
great. Has a temp probe that goes into the water. I can use it with my crock pot or my18 quart Nesco.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-...SWXY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496582780&sr=8-
1&keywords=water+temperature+controller

Josie

Josie, I use a different model of external temp controller thermostat and use it to keep the cheese cave at 55 degrees F. It will also work, as you say, in a crock pot or nesco, by resetting it to 'heating mode', instead of 'refrigeration mode'. Pretty useful thing to have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom