Can I replace Monterey Jack cheese with white cheddar in this recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monterey Jack cheese is a mild, semi-soft cow's milk cheese that can easily be substituted with other cheeses such as Colby, Muenster, Gouda, Provolone, Cheddar or even Swiss. All of these cheeses have similar flavor profiles and can work for the same recipes as Monterey Jack.

Above quote from Americasrestaurant.com

any mild cheese can work, I would go with a young cheddar - not too strong.

Always consider a recipe as a suggestion ready for you to adapt to your personal taste. Use whatever cheese you enjoy.

America's Test Kitchen is extremely trusty. Their instructions are reliable. Just follow the instructions. If they don't say to prick the dough then don't.
As you seem to be unsure of some of the steps, read the whole article, they usually include the steps they have done that did not work, and how they finally came to the reason for the steps that they do. So with that being said:

As per usual:-
read the instructions​
read the instructions again​
visualize the instructions​
and if necessary read the whole article​
follow the steps​
Enjoy your pizza.​
Edit:
Please note that the first part of the dough is left for 12 to 24 hours.

look
the middle got burnt and the sides not browned..
why ??

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-05-26 15-51-26.png
    Screenshot from 2023-05-26 15-51-26.png
    894.5 KB · Views: 3
Perhaps your burner was too hot.
Without having watched how it was done is difficult to say. But the above is my first guess.

Did you watch the video? Don't forget, times given are suggestions only. Did you use a cast iron pan? If not there might be adjustments to the stove burner heat for a pan thinner than cast iron.
According to the video - the sides should have browned while in the oven. Did you take it out too soon?
- you should be checking frequently to make sure it isn't burning while on stove top.​
- the burn looks like the burner was smaller than your pan - do you have a diffuser that you could use to even the heat from burner to pan?​

yes a lodge cast iron
not sure if it was too soon from the oven
but maybe the burner was a bit hot really

i've followed the written recipe
i watched the vid a week ago and don't remember it clearly

maybe i need an induction infuser too.......

thank you for helping

the cast iron is good for even heating but if the burner is too hot and too small, you could get 'hot spots'.
If you think that's the reason then a diffuser is probably a good answer.

What kind of burner do you have? diffuser is best for gas and/or induction burners, but NOT if you are using your cast iron on induction. It does not need a diffuser then.

i have cast iron on induction

i've a miele induction stove

hopefully next time its better

also.. next time i won't use chesse other than the mozzarella as it's overwheliming to me

So then, you do not need a diffuser for the cast iron pan.

Funny you should say that about the cheese. Just had a dish where the cheese was a bit overwhelming too! I love cheese but sometimes there is too much of a good thing!

these are some more photos

Attachments

• 6b8dd294-3917-43a8-bac8-f80691d6cd99.jpeg
    6b8dd294-3917-43a8-bac8-f80691d6cd99.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 96ccd419-31a6-4422-951e-95f547398294.jpeg
    96ccd419-31a6-4422-951e-95f547398294.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 3
  • fb39a2af-866a-46c2-8798-b02ffa67dae4.jpeg
    fb39a2af-866a-46c2-8798-b02ffa67dae4.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 3
The finished product looks like a Detroit style deep dish pizza. I'd just go to Little Caesar's and buy one, except I don't like Detroit deep dish pizza.

Must say it looks very tasty!

Must also say it's a bit of a trip from Israel for a Detroit style... unless it's your treat Sir LOB

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom