Can I replace double cream in a curry recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edd78

Assistant Cook
hi i was wondering if i can replace double cream in a curry recipe and what can i replace it with, looking for a healthier option to double cream

Welcome to DC!

You could try using a cup of milk fortified with 1/4 cup of powdered milk or perhaps just the powdered milk mixed with some of the liquid already in the curry.

Good luck!

If it were me, I would use Greet yogurt.
That works, too. If you don't have Greek yogurt, you can take plain full fat yogurt and let it strain (in a strainer). The whey will drain and you'll end up with "yogurt" cheese that is about the same thickness as Greek yogurt. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to get the tartness of Greek yogurt.

Try This

hi i was wondering if i can replace double cream in a curry recipe and what can i replace it with, looking for a healthier option to double cream

Use evaporated milk. Less calories, and the flavor is unbelievable.

Hello,

I personnaly use the soy cream as a subtitute. It's works very well and you can boil and reduce it like real cream; the flavor and onctuosity are similar to the cream...Very good.
I find this in organic groceries and stores...

Last edited:
Yes it does, for Thai curry, but I think they are referring to Indian curry.

I make indian curries with coconut milk all the time. My wife can't eat a lot of dairy so I substitute it. If you prepare the spices correctly in the beginning you won't really notice the sweet flavor. Gotta' toast em'

I just made Paneer Mahnki the other day and it was amazing.

India is a big country, and a lot of the regions use coconut. By contrast, cream is a relatively recent ingredient in Indian cuisine.

Exactly! India is gargantuan. I remember being shocked when I found out that there are regions in India that do eat meat. Previously I had thought that the entire country was vegetarian. That's simply just not true.

Though one thing can be said. You'll find maggi noodles everywhere, from the most remote villages to the top of mountains :P

Back
Top Bottom