Calf Liver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ishbel said:
You may be right, Allen - maybe a 'race memory' sort of thing?!:)

I was thinking more along the lines of your body knows it needs something, and therefore craves it.

Liver and onions with bacon was a favorite of my dad and myself..We lightly floured it, and sauteed it in the bacon fat, then added the sliced onions to the pan, kept the liver warm with the bacon, then we always had mashed or fried potatoes, hot buttered bread and a green salad..A favortie meal that I only enjoy once in a great while now as my DH and kids look like this:sick: if I even mention liver:LOL:

kadesma

pdswife said:
We LOVE liver!

I just salt and pepper it then dust with flour and brown in veggie oil.
Don't over cook or it gets tough. Yep. Plain and boring but it's oh so good served with some grilled onions.
Ditto (except we do it in olive oil) -- must be the Greek connection!

Go ahead and have the onions on the side, but sqeeze onto the liver a generous amount of fresh lemon juice. Nothing like it!

Make sure it's rare ...

Mmmmmm....foie de veau. Probably my favorite offal.

Embarassingly enough, I've never cooked it myself, only ordered it out. I need to step up to the plate on that one.

The best ones I've had came with a really good crust on them, crispy sear on the outside and molten and flavorful inside.

Calf liver is delicate and delicious. I have a bit of a surfeit of it in my freezer and would like suggestions on serving. I know I could browse recipe sites etc. but I'd like to know what you have tried and tasted/tested.

(Here in Scotland, the football (soccer) season is just about to get underway and every Saturday my wife and daughter abandon the house as I have the lads round for lunch before the game. They too love veal/liver)

p.s. Happy to have joined this forum.

Thanks

Hi Galeazzo_Ciano,
Calves liver is one of the most delicate of items to cook and difficult to do well for a crowd IMHO.

Normally, I dip slices in seasoned flour (salt, pepper and very lightest touch of freshly grated nutmeg), sautée in OO and butter and serve with pommes purée and an onion marmalade and top with browned butter and sage.

All the best,
Archiduc
p.s. I thought we had another month before the start of the new football season. The SFA site doesn`t even mention the 2008/09 season yet!

I am with ChefJune, ITK, and BT: fry up the bacon, drain and set aside, then fry the liver in the bacon grease with onions. When we serve it we add the bacon back in, yum!

Why not try "Fegato alla Veniziana", is delicious served with rice, or vegetables.

I LOVE liver, although I've never personally prepared it. I'd like to take a shot at it though.

Ideally, I like it crispy on the outside and molten on the inside. There are a couple spots in DC that get it just right.

This thread motivated me to google image search for liver and I came up with this. I am now officially hungry:

chez_dumonet_calf_liver.jpg

Besides Liver, Bacon & Onions, my family likes to eat beef liver prepared this way.
It's quite delish!

Chili Liver

4 slices bacon (I usually cook a few more slices)
1 lb. sliced beef liver, sliced thin
Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening, for cooking liver in
3/4 cup flour
salt & pepper
1-(10-1/2 oz.) can Campbell's French Onion Soup
1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup

In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon, crumble; and set aside.
Dust liver with flour; season with salt & pepper.
Brown liver in bacon drippings (you may need to add a little shortening).
When done frying liver, add soup and chili sauce.
Cover; and cook over low heat 15 minutes, or until tender; stir occasionally.
Uncover; cook to desired consistency.
Garnish with crumbled bacon.
Serves 4-5.

Note: I prefer to use the Buttered Flavored Crisco, instead of the regular Crisco.
I don't crumble the bacon, but rather leave it in strips, so everyone gets a slice
or 2 with their liver.

Attachments

• Chili Liver 001.JPG
    Chili Liver 001.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 2
We love liver! I prefer calves liver to beef liver, but will enjoy beef liver as well. Also, chicken liver, pork liver, etc. I generally have it once a month minimally and make it like many others - in bacon grease with onions, delicious gravy from the drippings, and creamy mashed potatoes.

Eating liver as, well, liver is not for me. But if you mix it with a bunch of other interesting things it can be pretty good. Liverwurst I can enjoy. But my favorite liver spread is Vietnamese pate for banh mi. I usually start with something canned but there's no shortage of recipes for liver pate. From there I doctor it with fish sauce butter and sauted minced garlic and five spice powder.

When you build your banh mi spread your vietnamese pate on one side of the cut bread and Kewpie mayo on the other side. Fill with all manner of good things like pickled carrots and daikon and herbs and various meats.

Back
Top Bottom