Buying halibut in bulk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrut

Assistant Cook
Halibut is very expensive here in NC (and probably everywhere else). Would like to purchase maybe 8-10 lbs in precut portions. Looking for the best deal. Anyone have experience in ordering halibut? Looking for a reputable company that offers a great value.

jrut, is there a Chef's Store/U.S. Foods/Cash & Carry/Smart & Final store (or whatever they might be calling themselves these days) nearby? That's where I go when I want to buy a box of frozen halibut or Sole. While the box will be a chunk of money, if you divide it out per serving, it is very reasonable. The halibut comes in individual bagged portions. The Sole I have to put in FoodSaver bags at home. But the sole comes to about 2 bucks a plate and last time I bought halibut I think it was about 5 bucks a plate.

If you don't have the store mentioned above, maybe there is another Restaurant Supply store that sells to the public too?

You might be able to find some fishery co-ops online that sell boxes of seafood direct to consumers. Bitser is a member here who gets monthly boxes of frozen seafood from Alaska from a community-supported fishery

I am fortunate to live by the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea. I can buy the freshest fish available, from albacore to yellowtail, F.O.B. at a dockside fish market. Sorry, no tilapia because that is NOT seafood. It's a fresh water fish grown on a farm, and not under the most sanitary conditions.

Better yet, the Vietnamese grocery store right next to my apartment building has a fresh, never frozen fish market right inside. Unfortunately, they will scale, trim and gut a fish for you, but they won't fillet it.

Last edited:
our semi-local Costco has frozen/portioned halibut and many other species.
direct mail order - very likely many reputable places, but the costs can be a bit daunting.

there are a number on Costco's in your area, not especially local,,, but perhaps 'a shopping target of opportunity?'

Well, after searching a lot of online stores, they all seem to be about the same price regardless of quantity bought (about $16-18\piece). Even Costco is $300 for 18 pieces ($16.67 per piece).

I can generally get 2 pieces from the grocery store for $25 when they are on sale (normally $30). Problem is that it is rarely on sale.

Guess this is the price range regardless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom