Brush?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Looking for recommendations on a good quality brush. I use to spread egg wash. The one I have is from restaurant depot, and it sheds the “hair”. You would think commercial brush would not do that. But it does.
Thank you in advance.

Charlie, I like the OXO natural bristle pasty brush for baked goods. I also have a couple of silicone brushes that are good for basting meat on the grill. The silicone brushes don't work as well on baked goods.

The silicon brushes do fine enough for me, to the point where I do not use hairy brushes anymore. While they may not hold or apply the same amount of liquid, a few more dips and brushes work just fine.

Dollar Store - soft paint brushes. First hair out, brush into the garbage. But I've rarely, and I mean rarely, have I had that happen. More like the wooden handle starts to look a little kaa kaa, so then it goes.

+1 for Dollar Tree aka cheap paint brushes with sorta-kinda natural bristles for the applications that require this sort of soft bristle brushes.

+1 Silicone brushes, when the natural bristles aren't necessary or could get melted :chef:

I have several of both, just depends upon what I'm going to use it for.

The silicon brushes do fine enough for me, to the point where I do not use hairy brushes anymore. While they may not hold or apply the same amount of liquid, a few more dips and brushes work just fine.

+1 I get mine at Dollarama. DH still uses a hairy brush when he's making garlic bread. I haven't found a need to go back to the hairy brushes.

I have two natural bristle brushes, that I got a long time ago, at a restaurant supply place in NY (when I used to go there, back in the 80s!) - one white bristle, and one black bristle, which I use most, since the black bristles are more visible on light foods, if they do come off. I can't remember the last time any bristles came off, however - I guess if any were going to, they would be out by now!:LOL: I use the silicone brush for BBQ, and things like that, but thin liquids just sort of run off of it, so not much stays on it for brushing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom