Breadless sandwich ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the look of the cuke sub "buns". :LOL: The Portabella halloumi burgers look yummy, too. Definitely a knife-and-fork sandwich in our house, though.

I've substituted a romaine lettuce leaf for the bread for ages. I do slice a bit of the spine off, tapering it carefully so that it is barely above the leafy part. That way the romaine is very flexible and doesn't crack when you roll the leaf. Lay some thin meat slices and a bit of cheese, roll, and stuff into your mouth. Or be polite, stab with a toothpick, and put a few on a plate. Mine is usually the grab-and-go version.

Me too, CG...those do look good. I'd slice the 'cuke sub' into rounds though, for easier eating. I think by the time I got my mouth around that and bit down, all the goodies would squeeze out the side. :ermm:

I love lettuce wraps too, one of my fave hot weather 'sandwiches'. :yum:

Out here there are a lot of restaurants that serve 'bread-less' sandwiches and use lettuce leaves. I like that they are starting to recognize people want options to bread.

I've discovered another way to make a breadless sandwich using thick slices of provolone and spreading egg, tuna, etc., salad on top..

It's really decadent with pimento cheese!:chef:

Last edited:
One thing I've always loved is a tuna fish sandwich. Being that I need to watch my carb intake these days, I've found that tuna fish salad is an excellent topper for celery. It's not a sandwich per se, but it's a great substitute for a sandwich that allows me to eat one of my favorite sandwich fixins.

Another yummy substitute it making a BLT and using a Romaine leaf to hold the mayo, tomato, and bacon.

Last edited:
One thing I've always loved is a tuna fish sandwich. Being that I need to watch my carb intake these days, I've found that tuna fish salad is an excellent topper for celery. It's not a sandwich per se, but it's a great substitute for a sandwich that allows me to eat one of my favorite sandwich fixins.

Another yummy substitute it making a BLT and using a Romaine leaf to hold the mayo, tomato, and bacon.

Simple ideas which I don't think of often enough.. Keeping bread out of my daily intake is difficult.. I'll do both of these.. :yum:

Ross

Bibb lettuce makes a great sub for the bread in a Bahn Mi "sandwich". Especially with pork meatball and diakon slaw.:yum:

Gee, I am in a real pickle. I don't like bread, but I live in Boston. And the judge said it can only be called a sandwich if made with bread. I'll just skip the whole thing and eat the filling while still in the bowl.

Two years later, I am still not eating bread. My fav delivery device is a hollowed out cucumber. However, I have been known to eat the filling using a spoon as the delivery device...

Low carb options to replace bread -

Aburaage - essentially the tofu version of Pita. I think it comes in cans sometimes.

Tofu skin aka Yuba - preferable fresh or frozen, the dried ones take special handling to get them to "unfurl" so most people just toss them in soups and stews. Use it like egg roll wrappers.

Soy flour pancakes - way lower carb than wheat flour. I would use them like wrappers or scoops and would make them savory, not sweet.

Mostly I'm concentrating on rice replacements, eg something fairly mild that will still soak up curry goodness while enhancing your enjoyment of the dish without loading you up with carbs. I'll be going on an aburaage-and-yuba hunt this weekend to see how well I can get these to work with the stuff I normally eat (Indian and Asian cuisine almost exclusively).

Shirataki noodles are a 0 carb option to replace pasta in stirfry. I don't care for them as a wheat-pasta replacement (such as in spaghetti) because to me they have the wrong texture. But it turns out there are "noodles" made of tofu that are very low carb that might do better for that purpose, or if not, at least give me more variety than just shirataki noodles almost every day.

I'll also be hunting for the aforementioned tofu "noodles", and fareekh (green wheat) which has about 40% fewer carbs than rice. I will soon be making my own tofu and will have lots of okara to experiment with as well.

Cucumber would make a lousy bread replacement IMNSHO. Also whole tomatoes and, in fact, just about everything in the linked article. Forget "sandwiches". Just eat.

Last edited:
I love to make bread. I just don't like to eat it. Lettuce leaf is a great super replacement for the bread. Along with baby spinach leaves. And more nutritious. Also not as filling as bread.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be pedantic here and argue that it's not a sandwich without bread. There are some really clever ideas in that link.

The thread got me curious and I googled. Wiki includes bread in the definition of the sandwich but what I found really humorous was a ruling by a Boston court:

In the United States, a court in Boston, Massachusetts ruled that "sandwich" includes at least two slices of bread.[1] and "under this definition, this court finds that the term 'sandwich' is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans."[15]...

I have a cucumber...
I'm with you on this, Andy. Can't have a sandwich without bread. The Earl of Sandwich must be spinning in his grave! (Apocryphal story says that The Earl invented the sandwich when he ordered meat between bread to be brought to the gaming table. In fact, the earliest written reference to what was effectively a sandwich occurs in the 1st century BC.)

Back
Top Bottom