Boudin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Finally got around to making the boudin last Sunday. This is the first time we've made it, so I stuck with Emeril's recipe. I did sub poblano chilis for the green bell called for. I saved some bulk for Boudin balls and stuffed the rest into natural casings.

Here is some that I poached.

36788-albums1083-picture6903.jpg

Fresh stuffed.

36788-albums1083-picture6904.jpg

These I'll probably grill. There is room for experimenting with his recipe or trying another.

Recipe Please please please?

I've always wanted to try this sausage.

Everybody says around here," you can buy that at any Truck Stop!" but I have never seen it..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Everybody says around here," you can buy that at any Truck Stop!" but I have never seen it..

Eric, Austin Tx.

This is my first try at boudin. I'm not sure this is the recipe I'm going to call my "go to". Remember I made a sub with poblano chili for the green bell. I also think the heat level needs to increase. It was alright, but my expectations were higher. I haven't made the balls which seem to be the rage.

Here is the recipe I followed.

Boudin | Emerils.com

Eric, Austin Tx.

Actually, if you want to taste some boudin before you make it, WalMart and Kroger both sell Zummo's brand boudin, which comes from Baumont. It is a good brand.

You will probably be hard-pressed to find ready-to-eat boudin in any truck stop in Austin, but when I lived in Port Arthur, it was in every convenience store in town. It was like hot dogs at any other 7-Eleven in the country.

It's cheap, too. I think I pay $2.50 for Zummo's locally.

Good comfort food, too.

CD

They sure look right, Craig. As for heat, the boudin I ate as a teenager in Port Arthur, and the stuff I eat today is not that hot. It is typical cajun spice -- it sneaks up on you and makes your neck sweat, without burning your mouth.

My favorite way to cook it is indirect on the Weber Kettle.

(BTW, Eric, that is Zummo's boudin in my grill photo)

CD

Attachments

• Boudin.jpg
    Boudin.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Craigsy, I've been wanting to get into sausage making. I bought a LEM grinder, but have yet to use it.
What kind of casings do you suggest for a beginner, and do you use a separate stuffer to make the sausages?

Last edited:
Craigsy, I've been wanting to get into sausage making. I bought a LEM grinder, but have yet to use it.
What kind of casings do you suggest for a beginner, and do you use a separate stuffer to make the sausages?

Bucky, I have an LEM grinder and LEM 5# sausage stuffer. We used to do everything with the KA mixer, but doing 15 to 20 # would be an all day affair just to grind the meat and stuff the next day. The stuffer and designated grinder make short work of the job.

I have only been using hog casing, though I do have beef casing for when I attempt a mortadella. These casings are available salt preserved and brine preserved. Both have to be completely rinsed inside and out. I tried the salt preserved and found "blow outs" occurred more often than with the brine preserved, which I now use exclusively. They last forever in the brine and you can return unused casing back to the brine.

I would highly advise that you start with this book, "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn.

I would highly advise that you start with this book, "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn.

Outstanding book! Michael Ruhlman does his homework, and knows how to break things down so you really understand what you are doing. You don't just follow a recipe, you gain valuable knowledge.

CD

Bucky, I have an LEM grinder and LEM 5# sausage stuffer. We used to do everything with the KA mixer, but doing 15 to 20 # would be an all day affair just to grind the meat and stuff the next day. The stuffer and designated grinder make short work of the job.

I have only been using hog casing, though I do have beef casing for when I attempt a mortadella. These casings are available salt preserved and brine preserved. Both have to be completely rinsed inside and out. I tried the salt preserved and found "blow outs" occurred more often than with the brine preserved, which I now use exclusively. They last forever in the brine and you can return unused casing back to the brine.

Thanks, I will look for it.

Cold is your friend! I put all the grinder attachments (pan, feeder tube, die, blade, spindle and lock ring) in the freezer for at least a 1/2 hour before use. The bowl the ground meat will fall into, sets in another bowl with ice in it. The ground meat goes back in the fridge until ready to mix and then back in until ready to stuff.

Back
Top Bottom