Borderline Diabetes--diet changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, my dad is doing the best he can coping with (and caring for) my mom (who has dementia and a number of other health problems). He never did learn to cook, so it is all he can do to put a meal together using boxed and canned ingredients and adding a protein. My brother and I have discussed our concerns with him should he become incapacitated, but for now, things are status quo and their home care worker is great. She puts meals in the crock pot, makes mains at home using food from the freezer and brings them over, etc. My dad probably would like to adopt her!

My eating habits are horrible. But not so bad that I had to stay on meds. I do control my diabetes with diet alone. But I am so fortunate in that my kids live seconds from me and someone comes by every single day. When children move far away, due to marriage or employment, it is very hard to monitor your parents care. And that is when a caring homecare worker is so much needed. CWS and her brother are so fortunate in having one for their parents. :angel:

My eating habits are horrible. But not so bad that I had to stay on meds. I do control my diabetes with diet alone. But I am so fortunate in that my kids live seconds from me and someone comes by every single day. When children move far away, due to marriage or employment, it is very hard to monitor your parents care. And that is when a caring homecare worker is so much needed. CWS and her brother are so fortunate in having one for their parents. :angel:

Not eating is not control...:ermm:

Addie you should calculate your BMI and make certain you are somewhere within the "normal range." Eating "a slice if Swiss cheese and two bananas" does not sound like a healthy diet to me.

Government site: Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

Calculate your BMI and then read the evaluation on the right "underweight, normal, overweight, obese." If you are outside the "normal" range then you have a potential problem.

Foods with the trace minerals vanadium and chromium. Both are essential to the pancreas. There are also supplements.

T

This is a ten-year-old thread and to my knowledge, nobody here is currently asking for advice on the topic so I'll just say, much could be said but in the meantime, if you're stumbling across this:
  1. If you're able, research the connections between hyperglycemia, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome/disorder.
  2. Discuss above with people you trust.

You need chromium, there are some decent food sources;

All Bran 100g 26 mcg
Ham 100g 26 mcg
Cheddar cheese 100g 24 mcg
Corned beef 100g 20 mcg
Wheatbran 100g 19 mcg
Cod, smoked 100g 18 mcg
Split peas, dried 100g 13 mcg
Soybean flour 100g 17 mcg
Pork sausage 100g 16 mcg
Beef sausage 100g 15 mcg
Mackerel, canned 100g 14 mcg
Oysters, canned 100g 14 mcg
Wheatgerm 100g 13 mcg
Spinach 100g 13 mcg
Brown lentils, dried 100g 13 mcg
Lamb chops 100g 13 mcg

Now for the vanadium, much shorter...;

Good sources of vanadium include whole grain breads and cereals, vegetable oils, nuts, root vegetables, parsley, fish, radishes, dill, lettuce and strawberries. The vanadium content of food depends on the soil in which it is grown. Airborne vanadium may also be an important source. Processed or refined foods may contain higher levels of vanadium than unprocessed foods, possibly because of contamination from stainless steel processing equipment.

Note: Deficiencies in those minerals is not the only cause of diabetes, but if you are short on either one you WILL get diabetes.

Better supplements have warnings on them for diabetics to watch their sugar even more closely.

This may be an old thread but there are still diabetics and "almost" diabetics who have to eat. Probably more.

Tell you what many people dismiss but is real, senate document 264. It predicted more deficiency diseases because the land was played out.

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/05...nloads/1c7hr30dq_962412.pdf?ver=1559506185392

Don't even read it, but note the date.

They know and they knew, but don't get al bent out of shape about it There are very few ways of fixing this and none of them are very economical.

There is a natural but slow process whereby the minerals do come up from below, slowly. Another method is by flooding with seawater and then waiting a bit for it to get good. Much of the salt I believe has to be gone to grow anything. Hopefully it leaves something good.

Comprehensive mineral fertilisation would break the bank.

Natives used to throw fish heads in the soil, which I am sure didn't hurt.

So many maladies can be run down to mineral deficiencies it ain't funny.

T

What, like the USDA, the people responsible for making this country number one in obesity, heart disease and diabetes ? No thanks.

T

well, this free will country gives you free will to do what you want, god gives you free will to do what you want, you can do what you want. The only one it affects is you. Enjoy your knowledge and free will.
Logic doesn't affect everyone the same way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom