Borderline Diabetes--diet changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All foods other than simple sugars and starches, are broken down into a host of nutrients, including fats and protiens. Actually, fats usually end up as triglycerides in the blood.

My point is that carbohydrates, particularly sugars, are metabolized quickly after eating, causing a glycemic spike, where proteins and fats take many longer hours to metabolize, and aren't such a bit threat on your body's ability to control your blood sugar level.

Last edited:
I myself am a Type 1 diabetic ( juvinille diabetes) I am of the belief that we as humans are not made to consume carbohydrates, our systems cannot handle it.

In the past that may have been true, a person with type 1 Diabetes would have died before the advent of exogenous insulin, but we are made to handle carbohydrates...glucose is a carbohydrate and it is the only "food" your brain can run on. Our systems are built to create glucose to feed the brain, every thing else is just a support system so we can go out and get those foods to convert. The support system, the body, needs fats and proteins to function. All of it goes hand in hand for us to live.

My point is that carbohydrates, particularly sugars, are metabolized quickly after eating, causing a glycemic spike, where proteins and fats take many longer hours to metabolize, and aren't such a bit threat on your body's ability to control your blood sugar level.

It's cumulative, Greg. Many years of eating the wrong foods and lack of exercise. It all contributes to developing insulin resistance and Type II Diabetes. You could eat only sweet things and never get Type II Diabetes, as long as your activity level is adequate.

Last edited:
It's cumulative, Greg. Many years of eating the wrong foods and lack of exercise. It all contributes to developing insulin resistance and Type II Diabetes. You could eat only sweet things and never get Type II Diabetes, as long as your activity level is adequate.
Not so sure about the last part but I strongly believe that "Many years of eating the wrong foods and lack of exercise. It all contributes to developing insulin resistance and Type II Diabetes."

I'm lucky that I've been eating good and getting lots of exercise, or maybe just lucky with genetics. I don't have insulin resistance yet, and doing everything I can to avoid it.

I get a feeling when I've hit the border on eating too much carbs. I feel yucky. When I feel that way I know what I just ate was the wrong thing, and I change my diet in the future. I suspect too many people ignore that yucky feeling and just keep right on eating what they ate because it tastes so good.

Last edited:
Not so sure about the last part but I strongly believe that "Many years of eating the wrong foods and lack of exercise. It all contributes to developing insulin resistance and Type II Diabetes."

I'm lucky that I've been eating good and getting lots of exercise, or maybe just lucky with genetics. I don't have insulin resistance yet, and doing everything I can to avoid it.

I get a feeling when I've hit the border on eating too much carbs. I feel yucky. When I feel that way I know what I just ate was the wrong thing, and I change my diet in the future. I suspect too many people ignore that yucky feeling and just keep right on eating what they ate because it tastes so good.

What part of burning off the sugars you do eat that doesn't make sense? There are many people who eat the sweetest things, unbalanced diets and run their hind ends off all day, every day who do not get Type II. It's their activity level that saves them.

What part of burning off the sugars you do eat that doesn't make sense? There are many people who eat the sweetest things, unbalanced diets and run their hind ends off all day, every day who do not get Type II. It's their activity level that saves them.

I'm not certain that living right will avoid any chance of acquiring Type II. I'm not an expert. All I know is that I don't have it yet.

If you're certain that Type II is acquired by bad diet and poor exercise then it's a very sad thing that so many people acquire and die from this disease, all because it was caused by their lifestyle alone.

In any case I avoid the worst glycemic foods or eat them in small quantities and get a reasonable amount of exercise. I don't want to join the Type II epidemic.

Last edited:
I'm not certain that living right will avoid any chance of acquiring Type II. I'm not an expert. All I know is that I don't have it yet.

If you're certain that Type II is acquired by bad diet and poor exercise then it's a very sad thing that so many people acquire and die from this disease, all because it was caused by their lifestyle alone.

In any case I avoid the worst glycemic foods or eat them in small quantities and get a reasonable amount of exercise. I don't want to join the Type II epidemic.
I believe some people are genetically more prone to develop Type II Diabetes, but that by eating right and exercising they may be able to avoid it. I am positive I would not have it now if I had eaten right and exercised as I should have.

I believe some people are genetically more prone to develop Type II Diabetes, but that by eating right and exercising they may be able to avoid it. I am positive I would not have it now if I had eaten right and exercised as I should have.

As a type II diabetic, I can speak from my own experience. Though exercise does play a part in preventing diabetes, it isn't a cure all. I exercised a lot, all through my twenties and thirties. It was part of my normal life style. I rode bicycle 12 miles a day, and up and down some pretty good hills. I literally ran, and played with my kids. I rode dirt bikes, walked up and down the monster sledding hills in nearby sand pits. I was assessed medically at 38 years of age to have the body of a 28 year old. At 40, I was diagnosed with type II diabetes.

I didn't eat a rediculous amount of food, or a ton of sweets. I did eat white bread, white rice, and occasionally drank a full-sugar soda, or orange juice.

One of my best freinds, as a teen, was one of the most energetic, and athletic guys I knew. We were both in Judo, hunted and fished, and were forever moving. He passed away last year. He never changed his eating habits from his team years. He ate way too much of the wrong kinds of foods, starch heavy stuff. His death came from a combination of heart disease, and diabetic complications.

I don't care how active you are, if you stress your body too much, with poor eating habits, it can kill you. I've seen it in two people who were close to me, and it caused me to become diabetic.

Sure, genetics plays a part, as does lifestyle. But proper nutrition is crucial to good health.

That's my take on this whole subject.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm not saying that any one thing will cause Type II Diabetes, it's the whole package. What I am saying is that, if you keep up your activity level (Teen Level) you are lowering your risk. Of course you still must eat right. And not everyone who is sedentary and eats poorly will get Type II. I have several patients who are Morbidly Obese, don't have an activity level (beyond opening their eyes and eating) and are not Type II.

Just because you were active in the past, does not mean that will carry you for your entire life, you need to keep it up or change your calorie intake to adjust for the lack of activity. Anybody find it odd that I had a heart attack and developed Type II 6 months after taking a desk job??? The potential was there, the risk factors were there...all I needed to do was get off the floor and sit for a living.

Talk to his Doctor, if you can. Everyone is different and we can't be giving advice about a very serious medical condition. Better yet, try to go to where he lives and see the doctor in person.

I too believe that! I don't have it now but I eat and exercise as if I could develop it. So far it's just good news.

Last edited:
I too believe that! I don't have it now but I eat and exercise as if I could develop it. So far it's just good news.

TypeII Diabetes is epidemic among Native Americans (of which I have a good part in my genetic make up). It wasn't a problem when the Native lifestyle included more ballanced meals that were obtained by hard work without a lot of refined starches and sugars.

I too believe that proper nutrition, along with the active lifestyle I maintained could have prevented me from developing the condition. And since I always ate a wide variety of foods, it was probably the inclusion of sugary drinks and lots of starches.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I too am a borderline diabetic and really had to change my eating habits. While all the "standard" diabetic tips of course are helpful and effective, I've found a few additions to my diet that have helped lower my blood sugar. I replaced rice with a "cauliflower rice" that is very filling and tastes great. Just Google it and you'll find wonderful recipes. I also found that sweet potatoes taste great and do help with maintaining a level blood sugar level. I also end the day with a cinnamon tea that helps calm the nerves and blood pressure, which helps with keeping blood sugar levels low.

Great news, blueberries help to stabilize blood sugar. About a half cup a day is recommended. Sadly, I just got a new fridge, and while transfering the food from the old to the new, I believe the employees of the company I purchased the fridge from, hauled away the old one before it was completely emptied. I lost most of a new package of bacon, about 10 hot dogs, a gallon of fresh blueberries, and some just purchased good cheeses, about $60 worth of food in all. I'm not real happy about that. But I am happy that blueberries are good for so many things, including stabilizing blood sugar.

Oh, and when I clicked to this post, my Avast program blocked malware, or so it said. Check your PC's kids.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

So CWS, how is Dad doing. Has he changed his eating habits now that he is on his own? Or did he do, like mentioned in previous posts, revert back to his old habits?

I hope he is still healthy and eating well. I have never heard of a technician telling a patient even the results of a test. I can't even get the tech to tell me if there has been in increase of blockage in my neck from the last test. All I ever get is, "You have to ask your doctor." And that is how it should be.

I do hope your dad is doing well. :angel:

So CWS, how is Dad doing. Has he changed his eating habits now that he is on his own? Or did he do, like mentioned in previous posts, revert back to his old habits?

I hope he is still healthy and eating well. I have never heard of a technician telling a patient even the results of a test. I can't even get the tech to tell me if there has been in increase of blockage in my neck from the last test. All I ever get is, "You have to ask your doctor." And that is how it should be.

I do hope your dad is doing well. :angel:
He will celebrate his 83rd birthday tomorrow and Friday he is having his cataract removed. The homecare worker is his driver, so neither my brother nor I have to trek to MN. Thanks for asking, and no, he hasn't changed his eating habits.:(

He will celebrate his 83rd birthday tomorrow and Friday he is having his cataract removed. The homecare worker is his driver, so neither my brother nor I have to trek to MN. Thanks for asking, and no, he hasn't changed his eating habits.:(
One of my Slimming World group ladies says as she has lost a lot of weight by eating sensibly (which is the way SW works) she has managed to cut her diabetes meds right down. Obviously she has done it with the co-operation of her Doctor and he's told her she may be able to come off them completely if she keeps up with the programme.

I am not a doctor or nurse and I am only reporting what I've heard so don't shoot the messenger but if his is the same sort of diabetes he might be persuaded to mend his food habits.

Last edited:

I am glad to hear that your parents have a homecare worker. It takes some of the worry off your shoulders. :angel:

One of my Slimming World group ladies says as she has lost a lot of weight by eating sensibly (which is the way SW works) she has managed to cut her diabetes meds right down. Obviously she has done it with the co-operation of her Doctor and he's told her she may be able to come off them completely if she keeps up with the programme.

I am not a doctor or nurse and I am only reporting what I've heard so don't shoot the messenger but if his is the same sort of diabetes he might be persuaded to mend his food habits.
Unfortunately, my dad is doing the best he can coping with (and caring for) my mom (who has dementia and a number of other health problems). He never did learn to cook, so it is all he can do to put a meal together using boxed and canned ingredients and adding a protein. My brother and I have discussed our concerns with him should he become incapacitated, but for now, things are status quo and their home care worker is great. She puts meals in the crock pot, makes mains at home using food from the freezer and brings them over, etc. My dad probably would like to adopt her!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom