Book Club May 2021 - "My Kitchen Year" by Ruth Reichl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had many little speed bumps along my life's road (who hasn't?), but two of them were real doozies. The first was giving birth to twins! when my plan was to have an only child - maybe. I was an Only, I liked it, and figured I had just enough patience and stamina for one. Well, I got an only son and an only daughter. No time to do anything but care for babies for the first couple of years, then spend the rest of my life trying to get back all of the sleep I missed. :LOL:

My second upheaval was having to move from my lifelong home when Himself's job was relocated. Like Ruth, I turned to cooking to heal. My best day was when Himself came home from a business trip to Canada, finished up the gourmet-ish meal I had cooked (a scallop dish) and told me it was better than something he had eaten at a high-end restaurant in Montreal! :wub:

...DH suggested that I join the Master Gardeners, so I applied the next year (2013) and was accepted. Now, much of my time is spent volunteering for this fun group, educating the public on sustainable gardening techniques and related topics. I'm looking forward to when we can meet in person again.
After we were in MA a few years, I finally was in a place where I wanted to get out and join the human race again. I went back to doing community theatre for a while, something I had done in OH. It was fun getting together with a group to create something for others. Much more social than staying in my kitchen and cooking for two.

...I think the only way to get deeper into books or have more authentic discussions would be to have face-to-face discussions. I'm willing to set up a zoom call if people would want to do it. However, finding a mutual time will likely be very hard to do...
While that's a great suggestion, I think I'd pass on trying to remember to show up for the discussion. I function best way late at night, and I'm pretty sure most of you are off to dreamland by the time I pick up my book for the evening. Besides, how would we pass the snack platter? :huh:

Has anyone tried any of the recipes from the book yet? I've eyed a couple, mostly the dessert ones, but haven't made anything yet. Her "Cake That Cures Everything" looks wonderfully decadent, and could easily be cut in half to make only one 9x13 cake, but just reading the recipe makes me feel five pounds heavier. :LOL:

I think it might be time to put this book to bed. As a suggestion for the next book that we discuss: if it has recipes, maybe we could all decide on one recipe we can each make? Then we can compare notes on that recipe as well as discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of the book. Then again, anyone who's game to try one from this book, I'm eyeing the "Fresh Peach Breakfast Cobbler" recipe. After all, anyone who can turn a dessert recipe into breakfast is OK by me.

Well!!! I finally received notice from Amazon this morning. My book has been shipped and should arrive June 7th. Ordered May 11th.

Kathleen - I like your suggestion - good reason to finally wear lipstick again with a mask! LOL but like CG I think there might be timing problems.
We'll each have to make different goodies to pass around, some to go with morning coffee and others to go with evening wine!

Now I can't wait to get the book and check out those recipes, CG. I'm game to try the comparison route. Good suggestion!

Is everyone caught up on their reading? Further discussion on this book? Are we moving on to something else? Just wondering. :chef:

Getting thru it, not finished yet.

I will have to take back my early opinion. I am actually enjoying the book "somewhat". Not riveting but any stretch and wasn't too sure on the early chapters.

It has gotten better and some of the recipes sound great. A few sound like a lot of work.

She must have a double oven or 2 stoves. She cooked her pork roast at 350 and the potatoes at 400 then 2.. (something). For the same meal and both took enough time, that to me, meant they had to be done at the same time.

I come across that so often with meal plans - drives me crazy!

What is 'thin soy sauce' - I know 'original', 'dark', 'light', tamari ... but thin?!

What is the next book? Did we decide? I'm game for anything anyone selects.

Dragn, I believe it is what we generally think of as soy sauce. Or maybe a light soy sauce. My favorite website for any type of Asian ingredients (and may great recipes) is called The Woks of Life. They will also answer questions when we ask them.

Kathleen, I suggested a couple of weeks ago that we "put this book to bed". Even before that, Linda Z had suggested a title. Since it's such a new book, I know I won't be joining in because our library system doesn't have copies. I like to see a cookbook before I buy it.

I did make a suggestion recently that might make our group read of any book more interesting. Whatever book we choose, we should try to decide on one recipe we could all make and compare notes. I'm just waiting for some peaches to ripen so I can make a batch of Ruth Reichl's "Breakfast Peach Cobbler" this week. Anyone care to join me?

No peach cobbler for me for a while. The season for Canadian peaches is from mid-July to mid-September. I'm trying to eat as local as possible. And, I really prefer peaches fresh. DH says that peach cobbler made from canned peaches is excellent.

Last edited:
Hi all, this is not a recommendation for your cookbook club, but I was just wondering if any of you have read a real old book (pub. 1960) called "The I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? The cover also says "more than 180 quick and easy recipes-fun to read, simple to use." Also Jean Kerr says "A gem of a book-and wonderfully funny"

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!

For the heck of it, I just went on Amazon to see if they had any of the above book. Look what I found. Just like the one I have.

The I Hate to Cook Book
by Peg Bracken and Hilary [illustrator] Knight | Jan 1, 1960
4.5 out of 5 stars 114
Paperback
$391.01
$3.99 shipping
Only 1 left in stock - order soon.
More Buying Choices
$2.68(63 used & new offers)

LOL... cookieee - hope that is a typo! $300 + ? for a book?

:LOL: and I had that book - (when it was new :angel:). Have no idea where it went and don't remember any of the recipes. I just remember she was sort of funny.

nope, but my copy is sooo old looking and yellow, maybe get 10 cents. lol I am really anxious tho to try some of her recipes. Like her Saturday Chicken and Sunday Chicken. The only difference is Sunday Chicken has curry in it. But they both call for Cream of Mushroom soup. Like the cover said, easy recipes. lol

comments and question

Hate to beat a dead horse, but...

I did finish the book and am wondering how others enjoyed it.
Whether from a recipe angle, or a life story angle, or somewhere inbetween?

I have to say I can't figure out if I enjoyed it or not!
Some of the recipes were 'above my interest level' (not unusual)
some were a little mundane and I wondered why included - yes, I understand she felt they helped her but a mention would have sufficed as she did in other places.

and some I have earmarked as I would like to try.

Speaking of which... is anyone going to try one or more of her recipes?

Back
Top Bottom