Bone in pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puki

Assistant Cook
The recipe specifically says Boneless but I accidentally bought pork chops with a bone in them. They’re the right thickness. The butcher cut them just for me. (I watched him do it, which was kind of cool.)

Can I use it or should I switch gears and choose a recipe for pork chops with bones in them?

Last edited:
If the bones don't get in the way of the recipe, use them. If you're going to iron them in a skillet then add other stuff and finish cooking still in the skillet, i doesn't matter.

If you have a concern, trim off the bone.

Lots of times, recipe creators write the recipe the only way they've ever seen it done or the way they prefer it. There is often flexibility in your choices.

If the bones don't get in the way of the recipe, use them. If you're going to iron them in a skillet then add other stuff and finish cooking still in the skillet, i doesn't matter.

If you have a concern, trim off the bone.

Lots of times, recipe creators write the recipe the only way they've ever seen it done or the way they prefer it. There is often flexibility in your choices.

+1 :chef:

Generally speaking, there are things you can change in recipes with no ill effects. Some sites with call for specific brands of ingredients. That's just a promotion and you can ignore it.

Many recipes call for unsalted butter. I rarely ever keep it in the house because 99.9% of the time you don't need it.Just about every recipe that calls for unsalted butter also calls for salt. If you're cooking but not baking, you have to be tasting the product as you go to ensure the seasoning is right. This obviates the need for unsalted butter. One less thing to keep in the pantry.

You can often substitute different meats in a recipe. (just remember to change the name of the recipe ;-)).

As you develop your knowledge base these things will become easy for you.

Thank you!

I am making Skillet-Glazed Pork Chops from America's Teat Kitchen. It just cooks in oil in a pan and then it goes out and you put a bunch of stuff in the pan and then they go back in and that’s it.

It looks pretty darn easy, so there is a good chance I won’t mess it up. But I make no promises there!!!!!!

The only thing that worries me is that I was told not to vinegar into cast iron and I am going to put vinegar into cast iron. Different things say differently about whether it is okay, so (taking the advice of Julia Child), I am going to say What The Hell and see how it goes.

I like to FOLLOW THE RECIPE because then I have a fighting chance of making something good...or decent...at least edible. So I am going to be brave and use the vinegar. Using the semi-wrong kind of pork chop is enough badness for one meal. :)

Thanks again!!

It is also 'typically said' that bone-in takes a bit more time than bone-out. So you may have to adjust your times just a wee bit.

It is also 'typically said' that bone-in takes a bit more time than bone-out. So you may have to adjust your times just a wee bit.

The recipe gives a temperature instead of a time, but that is going into my Notebook Of Stuff that I keep to know. Thank you!

I assume that goes for all meats, not just pork chops.

An internal temp of 145' f is required for pork. Bone in pork chops are generally juicier than boneless as the bone slows down the heat saturation into the meat, and prevents evaporation of juices. Also, make 1/4 inch cuts on the sides of the chops to prevent the edges from curling.

As long as the chops aren't overcooked, they will be tender and moist. Have fun with your recipe.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

An internal temp of 145' f is required for pork. Bone in pork chops are generally juicier than boneless as the bone slows down the heat saturation into the meat, and prevents evaporation of juices. Also, make 1/4 inch cuts on the sides of the chops to prevent the edges from curling.

As long as the chops aren't overcooked, they will be tender and moist. Have fun with your recipe.

Ha! They were a little overcooked.

Mise en place. They aren’t kidding about that! I thought I’d have tons of time to throw a few things into a bowl and whisk. But between trying not to step on the cat AND microwave half of yesterday’s potato AND watch the frozen green beans in the oven whose timer I forgot to set and re-reading the recipe...

...the pork chops went a smidge too long. One day I will prepare a meal that I don’t mess up at all. Maybe. I hope.

Still, they were excellent. I cannot get over how much better food is when a person (even me) cooks it. I continue to be amazed when something is better than Mcdonald’s, Banquet or Stouffers. This food - even when I mess it up - is SO GOOD!!!

I put butter and thyme on the potato. The thyme was out for the recipe, anyway, so that’s what I did with the potato. No recipe! Just potato.

I didn’t cut into the pork chop far enough and it curled a bit. I don’t actually care much, but will cut better next time.

And from now on, Mise en Place EN PLACE. Lessons learned the hard way are always learned best. :)

Thank you so much. I really wanted to make this, after buying actual syrup (I just had Mrs. Butterworth) and everything. It was SO YUMMY! (I hope pork chop #2 will be good reheated tomorrow.)

Last edited:
One of my favorite potato preparations:
1 russet, or Yukon Gold whole, washed potato. lightly poke wholes into yhe skin with a fork. Microwave with the potato setting on your microwave oven, Remove and poke a toothpick to determine if it is cooked all the way through. If not, microwave on high for another minute,

When done, grab the hot potato with a hot pad, and cut in half, perpendicular to the potato length. Tur the potato on its end and poke wholes to the bottom with a fork. Place 2 tbs. butter on top and work into the potato flesh with a fork until smooth, like a mashed potato. Lightly salt, and pour a tbs. of cream onto the potato flesh. Again work into the potato.

This method creates a potato that completely absorbs the butter, and cream, and is lightly seasoned with the salt. You can also use a bit of pepper. You will love this kind of potato preparation. You can also bake the potato in the oven if you prefer.

One of my favorite potato preparations:
1 russet, or Yukon Gold whole, washed potato. lightly poke wholes into yhe skin with a fork. Microwave with the potato setting on your microwave oven, Remove and poke a toothpick to determine if it is cooked all the way through. If not, microwave on high for another minute,

When done, grab the hot potato with a hot pad, and cut in half, perpendicular to the potato length. Tur the potato on its end and poke wholes to the bottom with a fork. Place 2 tbs. butter on top and work into the potato flesh with a fork until smooth, like a mashed potato. Lightly salt, and pour a tbs. of cream onto the potato flesh. Again work into the potato.

This method creates a potato that completely absorbs the butter, and cream, and is lightly seasoned with the salt. You can also use a bit of pepper. You will love this kind of potato preparation. You can also bake the potato in the oven if you prefer.

That sounds yummy. I have to try Kroger for the potato. A lot of recipes call for those but my store only has giant bags of them. I cannot eat all those potatos before they go bad and cannot afford to buy food for the rats in the garbage dump. :)

Kroger is a bit of a drive but I will check them out.

So many recipes call for that kind of potato!

There should be a way for singles/widows to pool their money and buy groceries so that they can get 3 carrots or two potatos or whatever and not have to buy food for the rats.

Back
Top Bottom