Black beans and Sweet potato, great combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im making some Vegan Tamales tonight. They are stuffed with a black bean/ sweet potato mix ( including onions, garlic Smoked paprika, cumin, Vegetable broth and S&P). I had my. reservations at first as I'm not a huge lover of sweet potatoes, but when I was picking at the finished combos it really tased good. Both taste and texture, they really pair well together. Haven't made the tamales yet, but I could eat a scoop of this with rice and be satisfied. Hope that tamales are equally as good.

I'm interested in hearing what you have to say about the final result. I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes and neither is DH.

The final result was equally as good.
The ratio was about 50/50 black beans to sweet potato.
The sweet potato was diced on the smaller side, too it kinda blended in with the beans ( not like you were getting a big chunk of sweet potato).
I used homegrown sweet potatoes, so they. likely weren't as. sweet as if I. got them from the store.
They probably; could haves used a little more salt, but all in a success.
I also would increase the amount of the stuffing (bean/ sweet potato mixture) per tamale.

That sounds delicious. We're fans of black beans (we buy them in 25 lb bags), and sweet potatoes.
The one year we grew sweet potatoes, in mounds, with black plastic to keep the heat, we got some small straggly sweet potatoes. I've been leaving that up to the farmers since it appears we don't get hot enough here to grow them.
I really like putting sweet potatoes with bean dishes, that touch of sweetness in a savory dish, really balances it. The color also adds to the look of the dish.
Those tamales sound perfect! Thanks.

Were you using corn husks? About how many tamales does this recipe make?
Yes I used corn husks. I made 1/2 a recipe and it made probably like 10 - 15. I must say, I ate some leftover ones today. They are even better day 2. The inner stuffing flavor leaches out into the surrounding masa .

I'd Probably add a little corn to the filling just for textural purpose, to have that little 'pop' when chewing.

Last edited:
That sounds delicious. We're fans of black beans (we buy them in 25 lb bags), and sweet potatoes.
The one year we grew sweet potatoes, in mounds, with black plastic to keep the heat, we got some small straggly sweet potatoes. I've been leaving that up to the farmers since it appears we don't get hot enough here to grow them.
I really like putting sweet potatoes with bean dishes, that touch of sweetness in a savory dish, really balances it. The color also adds to the look of the dish.
Those tamales sound perfect! Thanks.
We like sweet potatoes ( dont love them). We do grow them, but. they take up a decent amount or real estate, so I now grow them in an area where I dont care too much what happens. . I love crops like potatoes, peanuts , sweet potatoes where you dont know exactly what you're going to get til harvest. This year was the first year I used all my sweet potatoes up ( the sweet potato lasagna for thanksgiving , and now the tamales). I may have to move them to a better part of the garden, as they have earned it.

Back
Top Bottom