Biscuits not rising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both old flour and old baking powder can tank a biscuit recipe. Also, if you use another type of wheat flour, it can make a diff. Brands like white lily flour are closer to being cake flour than something like Pillsbury.

Yes, this develops the gluten too much and your biscuits will not rise. I prefer patting out the dough and cutting the biscuits. Gather the trimmings and pat together...no rolling needed.

Not sure I agree... I also use a recipe that folds in thirds and then roll or press out and then repeat. it develops layers although I handle it as little as possible.

biscuits.jpg

I've tried three times to make biscuits from scratch using a recipe from the Food Network. The first two times they barely rose and someone mistook them for cookies. The third time they did rise some but I don't think they came out right, plus, they don't even get light brown. It's not really a big deal as they taste good but it would be nice to know why they aren't coming out right.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. If it's an ingredient problem or if I'm overworking the dough.

I don't have access to the recipe right now but the ingredients are:
flour (all purpose, I think)
baking powder
baking soda
unsalted butter
buttermilk
salt (I think)
and heavy cream to brush on the top

The first two times I made it, I used an older flour (a year old). The third time I used a brand new one.

The baking powder I have is very old, a cheap brand, and sort of caked together (must remember to buy some at the store). The third time I made the biscuits I sifted the baking powder before using it to get out the chunks.

The buttermilk I used isn't real buttermilk. I just mix milk with a little lemon juice and let it sit 10 minutes and that's my imitation buttermilk. I also don't have heavy cream for the top so I make an imitation heavy cream.

Any ideas as to why the biscuits aren't rising and why they rose more the third time then the first two times?
I'm assuming "biscuits" are like our scones in UK. My best guess is overhandling of the dough when shaping it for baking. The buttermilk substitute wouldn't make much difference as it's the acid that is the important think. The cream on top shouldn't have made much difference. However, old baking powder may have caused the problem. Always use it within its use by date as it goes off. I keep mine in the fridge in a sealed container

I find that it's better to make them thicker than the average recipe says but that's only me.

Last edited:
I'm assuming "biscuits" are like our scones in UK. My best guess is overhandling of the dough when shaping it for baking. The buttermilk substitute wouldn't make much difference as it's the acid that is the important think. The cream on top shouldn't have made much difference. However, old baking powder may have caused the problem. Always use it within its use by date as it goes off. I keep mine in the fridge in a sealed container

I find that it's better to make them thicker than the average recipe says but that's only me.
UK Biscuits= USA cookies
USA biscuits= UK scones

Back
Top Bottom