Best way to open a soft boiled egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
I've been looking at the various gizmos and gadgets used to open a soft boiled egg and am wondering if any of you have a TNT method or gadget that you use.

I like the looks of these but I hate to spend $10.00 or $20.00 for another gadget that will end up in the back of a drawer.

I really get a kick out of the little black hats that the eggs in the first video are wearing! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXvJZq13NM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvM0C4nSAt0

Last edited:
From my experience, all of these gadgets will be used only once and twice just to show off in front of your family and then you just forget about it.

That is so cute! lol - But like you I don't want it to end up at the back of the drawer.

Only my new hobby of carving eggs would be interested in that!

Wonder if it works on the fat end as well, where the air pocket is. That line looks so clean but can't be sharp as the guy is occasionally sticking his finger in it to remove the shell.

My grandmother used to make little caps for soft boiled eggs. It was to keep them warm from kitchen to sideboard to table.

Cooks Illustrated tested some and liked them. But read the article, sorry only available to their members.

Rosle Egg Topper, Amazon $11.00 Top winner.
Paderno Stainless-Steel Egg Topper, $26.** came in 2nd because it sometimes was too strong for the shell.

then it went on to the scissor style.

How have you been doing it?

I either peel the egg entirely and serve it in a dish with a little salt and pepper or I put it into an egg cup and carefully tap/poke/slice the top off with a table knife. Sometimes it works and sometimes I just have a slice of toast. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I either tap the end with the back of my spoon until I can peel off enough shell that I can get my spoon into the egg or I wack of a small piece of the egg, shell and all, from the end. We don't eat soft boiled eggs often enough to be bothered with a special device.

My mom told me she cuts up the toast and puts it in a bowl, then breaks the egg into the bowl and mixes it all together while she's eating it.

My mom told me she cuts up the toast and puts it in a bowl, then breaks the egg into the bowl and mixes it all together while she's eating it.

That's how I've always done it too GG. The toast has to be well buttered before it's cut up. Lawry's Seasoned Salt and fresh ground pepper are mandatory. My Mom did the same, and we all know they're always right. ;)

Last edited:
That's how I've always done it too GG. The toast has to be well buttered before it's cut up. Lawry's Seasoned Salt and fresh ground pepper are mandatory. My Mom did the same, and we all know they're always right. ;)
Well-toasted and well-buttered. You want that crispy, buttery, soft contrast :yum:

Well, I better start clearing a space in the back of the junk drawer.

I ordered a Rösle Stainless Steel Egg Topper with Silicone Handle.

I'll probably never wear it out but I can have some fun with it for about the same price as a movie ticket. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Well, I better start clearing a space in the back of the junk drawer.

I ordered a Rösle Stainless Steel Egg Topper with Silicone Handle.

I'll probably never wear it out but I can have some fun with it for about the same price as a movie ticket. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

:LOL:
Tell us all about the fun, once you get it. Pix would be good too.

.... I put it into an egg cup and carefully tap/poke/slice the top off with a table knife.

This is how my grandmother taught me to do it. Use a table knife to tap and crack a line around the shell about 1/2" from the pointy end, or a bit less (so that the when removed it will leave an opening big enough for a teaspoon to dig out the egg. Then cut off the end and use your spoon to scoop out the bit ot white left in that end shell fragment. Then just season and enjoy. Even as a child I didn't find it all that difficult... certainly not requiring a special tool.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've had a soft boiled egg in about 60 years, probably not since the last time I had one at my grandmother's house. I wonder which of my siblings got her egg cups after she passed away? This is what her set looked like - each was a different color... this one is selling for $70. Amazing what a little age will do for the value of what was just an every day item when I was using them back in the 50's.

1-Harlequin_Pottery_Double_Egg_Cup_Mauve_Vintage_Homer_Laughlin_MCM_Tableware_01.jpg

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've had a soft boiled egg in about 60 years,

I don't believe I have had one in that long either..

My fave soft egg is poached with heavily buttered toast and a good amount of s&p.. That, to me, is egg heaven.. :yum:

Ross

Well, when you do have your next one - don't forget to cut your toast into soldiers. Only way to get the yolk out.

Well, when you do have your next one - don't forget to cut your toast into soldiers. Only way to get the yolk out.

I always got all the yoke out with the spoon. I imagine it helps if there is still some of the white in the egg while getting the last of the yoke out.

Hello RiveraT . Welcome to DC! Whitehall as in London?

If so then Dippy Egg and Soldiers will be very familiar to you. :LOL:

taxy - this is a British breakfast favourite.

'Back in the day' (and you can choose your day) eggs were brought to the table or room still in the shell as often there was a distance to travel from the kitchen.
This helped to retain the heat better. Another reason they wore their little knitted caps.

Heaven forbid the little Lords and Ladies in the nursery should be served cold eggs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom