ISO best recipe software for Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer Murphy

Senior Cook
Is there a list of the favorite recipe apps for Windows somewhere? The search but didn't come up with anything. I would imagine this has been discussed a few times.

Otherwise, I'd appreciate recommendations for software that is simple to use (I am not a gourmet cook by any stretch. My primary requirement is that is have the ability to scale the recipe -- double or triple it.

Thanks

PS: Excuse the type in the title. It won't let me edit that.

Last edited:
I use Copy me that: https://www.copymethat.com/

It's a web site. It's also an app for phones and tablets. The free version is really useful, but won't scale the recipes. I just got the premium membership and haven't played with it much yet, but the scaling works. It even worked for 1.5 times the recipe.

It will copy recipes directly from websites and includes a link to the site where you got the recipe. It lets you enter your own recipes and pictures. I enter my own recipes from the website, because it's easier than hunting and pecking on a virtual keyboard in an app.

I use this almost every single day. I find it really handy to bring my tablet to the kitchen to look at the recipes.

Try the free version and see what you think.

It's a web site. It's also an app for phones and tablets. The free version is really useful, but won't scale the recipes. I just got the premium membership and haven't played with it much yet, but the scaling works. It even worked for 1.5 times the recipe.

It will copy recipes directly from websites and includes a link to the site where you got the recipe. It lets you enter your own recipes and pictures. I enter my own recipes from the website, because it's easier than hunting and pecking on a virtual keyboard in an app.

I use this almost every single day. I find it really handy to bring my tablet to the kitchen to look at the recipes.

+1 I love it also.

I've got lost recipes littered all across the web in dozens of apps, platforms, and formats. For the last few years, I've used copymethat.com for quick transcriptions and cronometer.com for nutritional analysis of individual recipes and my entire diet.

Last edited:

Thanks for the tip. I took a quick look and plan to give it a try. I do want to be able to scale recipes, so I'll probably get the Premium version.

Do you know if I can give other people read-only access to my recipes?

Thanks for the tip. I took a quick look and plan to give it a try. I do want to be able to scale recipes, so I'll probably get the Premium version.

Do you know if I can give other people read-only access to my recipes?

If you want to give other people access to your recipes, there are a few ways. It will make a difference whether it was your own recipe or a recipe from a website that you told CMT to copy. I haven't figured out all the details on how it works.

You can give someone the URL to your recipe. There is a curvy arrow near the top of each of your recipes that will let you share the recipe. The person with the URL won't be able to edit the recipe, but they will be able to share the URL with anyone. I think you have the most control over who sees your recipes if they get a CMT account and are in your recipe circle.

This thread was very helpful!
Added Copy Me That button to my browser, and found their app for my iPhone too.
Very easy to use.
Thanks!

i just tested a few

recipe converter
convert unit
flavor maker
recipe calculator
cupfull
cooking converter

whisk
My recipe book

so many to choose from!

Back in the days of DOS, WP5.1 was the dominant public word processor. XY write was the dominant professional word processor, and Note Bene, a modification of XY Write, was the best. For recipes, I compiled some 3,000 recopies into Note Bene and ran the indexer. Indexed recopies worked like this: say you looked in the ‘frige and had some pork, leeks, and onions on hand. Enter those ingredients in the Indexer, and it screened recipes to only show those recipies that included all your entries bun no close misses (and I still don’t understand how one popular current recipe web site came up with Pork Schnitzel when at asked for artichoke hearts).
The most important feature of a recipe collection on line is its ability to narrow down the search, and I have yet to find one that is better than useless.

I've mostly been using Evernote.
Excellent cross platform support, web access too.
Good search, useful tagging.
Great web clipping
content sharing--I share my cooking content with the rest of my family members
email content into a note if you pay for that level of membership

Twice a year I back up the content to my local computer just in case.

But if you're looking for recipe scaling or nutrition then it's not the solution.

I have started using CMT and quite enjoy it. About the only feature I would like is to be able to copy some of my recipes from my own files. Not on a website.

I guess I'm the odd person out - I tried CMT and I prefer Paprika. It's been a couple of years since I started using it, so I'm not sure what I liked better about it. Maybe just the user experience. Although it does have a feature no one has mentioned about CMT - it has built-in timers. In the recipe instructions, when a time for doing something occurs, it's in blue and when you tap it, it starts a timer. That's handy.

Also, you can add your own recipes by either typing them in or copying/pasting from Word or other files. I imagine you can do that with CMT as well.

I have started using CMT and quite enjoy it. About the only feature I would like is to be able to copy some of my recipes from my own files. Not on a website.
I have added my own recipes from files. If I remember correctly, you use your browser to open the file and then you can use the CMT button to import it into CMT. I'll go see if I can find the instructions on the site.

I found the help info about uploading files from your computer. You can find the help & info page by clicking the down arrow next to your user picture. Here's the link, but it looks like you have to be logged in to see it: Copy Me That Information Page
Upload recipes from computer files

• One way to get your own recipes (from files) into Copy Me That is to create a new recipe for each one and then use copy-paste. However, this is certainly not ideal if you have a lot of recipes. We do not, yet, have an automatic upload feature, but there is a work-around.

• One thing you can do is to turn your recipe files into webpages. Luckily, that's fairly easy to do with Google Docs. (Maybe these days it's called Google Drive). Google Docs is Google's document editor and it's free to create an account. When you view a document in Google Docs then you're actually viewing it as a webpage. So:
  • 1. Create a Google doc account if you don't already have one.
  • 2. Upload your file documents to Google docs. It's possible to upload a complete folder full of documents with one upload action.
  • 3. In Google docs, go through each recipe one at a time, using the Copy Me That button to copy them. Using Chrome on a laptop/computer is probably the easiest way. This will not work with Internet Explorer.
  • 4. On the confirmation page, it might be a good idea to click the "view surrounding text" button, especially if the recipe has extra text or descriptions that you want to include.

I guess I'm the odd person out - I tried CMT and I prefer Paprika. It's been a couple of years since I started using it, so I'm not sure what I liked better about it. Maybe just the user experience. Although it does have a feature no one has mentioned about CMT - it has built-in timers. In the recipe instructions, when a time for doing something occurs, it's in blue and when you tap it, it starts a timer. That's handy.

Also, you can add your own recipes by either typing them in or copying/pasting from Word or other files. I imagine you can do that with CMT as well.
I haven't found any timers in CMT and I'm a "Premium member". But, I use my tablet to read the recipes while I'm cooking and the tablet has a clock app with as many timers as I want to set up.

I looked into Paprika. I don't think they have a free trial and that was why I never got it. I noticed that they have a feature about marking off ingredients and steps that are done.

CMT doesn't have exactly that, but it does let me toggle highlighting on the various ingredient items. I use it to know how far I have gotten in my mise en place. It also lets me toggle a vertical, red line next to a recipe step.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom