Best pan for baking bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Save your large glass jars when empty. Big pickle jars are great. Pour oil/grease in there and when full toss jar in the trash can. Bacon fat is great to fry potatoes in.

Yup, definitely save the bacon fat. Some ideas to use it up:
  • Salad Dressings
  • Fried Rice
  • Fold into meatloaf/meat balls
  • Add to stew, chili, etc.
  • Use as a base for pomodoro/marinara
  • Use as a base for soups
Lots of ways to cross utilize the leftover fat and add more flavor to your dishes.

Has anyone tried dredging the bacon in a wee bit of flour before placing in the oven? Yummy!!

I dredge, then turn the oven to 425F, convection setting and to "fast pre-heat"...at about 12 minutes, I turn it over and leave for 2-3 more minutes...it really is our favorite way to make a nice, crispy bacon.

The last time we were visiting the grandkids, my son served bacon at breakfast. I generally do not like bacon, too greasy, but out of politeness, I tried one piece. It was the best bacon I have ever tried. I asked where he bought it. He said it was just whatever bacon they have at the grocery store. The difference, he said, is that it is baked, not fried. I was so impressed that I decided to give it a try.

He cooked his in a cookie tray on a sheet of tin foil at 400° to 450° for about 15 minutes. He then lifts the bacon one piece at a time off the tin foil and onto a paper towel. He then taps them with another paper towel and serves. Delicious.

I thought a wire mesh would work better than tin foil, but I don't have one that will fit any of my cookie sheets. I tried a few strips on a heavy metal tray with slits in it that I use for baking chicken and turkey. It came out OK, but it's pretty old and a real pain to clean. So I'm thinking of getting a new cookie tray with a wire mesh. There are a lot of them available. But most of them that come with a fitting wire mesh call it a "cooling tray", like these:

That makes me worry that the wire mesh cannot stand the heat. The descriptions seem to indicate that it can.

Can anyone recommend a shallow tray with a wire mesh or screen that I can cook bacon on?

What better? Aluminum? Stainless Steel? Teflon coated? Something else?

I'd also appreciate any other comments of baking bacon.

Thanks

I use parchment paper because bacon sticks to foil. Easy cleanup too

Jacques Pépin mentioned non-stick foil. I have looked for it here in the 'burbs of Montreal, but couldn't find it. I have also looked for frozen pearl onions, which he uses, and couldn't find them either.

Jacques Pépin mentioned non-stick foil. I have looked for it here in the 'burbs of Montreal, but couldn't find it. I have also looked for frozen pearl onions, which he uses, and couldn't find them either.
I have trouble finding pearl onions also. Sometimes during the holidays I can find them frozen. They have fresh around then also, but I hate dealing with the peeling.

Your stores don't stock Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Aluminum Foil?

IMO, the frozen ones aren't even half as good as fresh. Convenient, but that's about it. I don't find the peeling to be too much of a bother. Two minutes with boiling hot water over them, cut the roots off and they pop right out of the skins.

Aunt Nellie’s bottled onions aren’t bad in a pinch.
1697205320471.jpeg

Surprised you can't find the foil taxy. I've even seen it in the $ $tores. Both here and Quebec.
As to those super tiny frozen pearl onions. I absolutely love them and have found them in only 1 grocery store! The IGA in Ste Lazare. Any trips I make back I buy 3 or 4 pkgs.

pearl onions b 231013.jpg

LOL, matter of fact my son is on his way to the cottage to do some work with his Dad, so I just phone him (my ex) and asked him to pick some up for him to bring back. Thanks for bringing the subject up - I didn't realize I was down to my last pkg til I went to take this picture!
And if anyone thinks I would ever sit there, no matter how easy, and peel these little suckers - yuh better think again! :LOL:

IMO, the frozen ones aren't even half as good as fresh. Convenient, but that's about it. I don't find the peeling to be too much of a bother. Two minutes with boiling hot water over them, cut the roots off and they pop right out of the skins.
When you have arthritis, everything is difficult most of the time. :(
Aunt Nellie’s bottled onions aren’t bad in a pinch.
View attachment 66455
I can't even find bottled onions for some reason. Or bottled whole mushroom caps (I like to use those to marinate in Italian dressing).

Ginny, are we talking about the same onions? I don't mean the bags of small onions like these... These I've done many times, yes they are pretty easy to peel as you say. But they are much larger than pickled or the frozen ones I get.
white pearl.jpg
Red Pearl.jpg
yellow pearl.jpg

I know it is difficult to tell sizes from pictures but these are the frozen ones I get. Compare my thumb to their size. Also the above are bigger than pickled onions. I've never seen those larger "pearl" onions frozen.

Pearl onions a 231013.jpg
pickled.jpg
I imagine the ratio is about 2 maybe even 3 to 1 of the bagged fresh ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom