Beef Tips, stew or else!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I am still having probs with this dish!

My Mom, says, it's so easy, Round Steak, but to me it is So Tough..

I have tried Sirloin, better, and also Chuck Roast, cut into cubes..

but that cut takes a while..

I'm looking for basically beef stew over noodles in my family, but rice at school and most diners..

why is my choice so tough?

Also, I think my Gravy is too thick.

my recp. is:

Brown the meat.

remove meat, then Brown the vegies in oil.

then add flour to melt.

then add beef broth and spices..

then cook all 'till done and serve over noodles..

What am I missing here?

perhaps, I just remember my Mom's, or school, and will never get this right!

Eric, Austin, Tx.

Stews use tougher cuts of meat. Tougher cuts of meat require longer cooking times. Cubed stew meat should be simmered in your stew liquids for an hour or more. Add the veggies part way through the coking process so they won't turn to mush.

If the gravy's too thick, add some more broth to thin it out.

If you are not opposed to using canned soups try this.

1 can of condensed cream of tomato soup
1 pound cubes of stew beef
2 or 3 onions cut into quarters or eighths
3 or 4 carrots cut into chunks
salt and pepper to taste
1or 2 bay leaves
1/4 t celery seeds
a good shot of Worcestershire sauce

Put everything into a covered casserole and place in a 350 degree oven for an hour to an hour and a half. You can add cut up potatoes to this but, I prefer to have mashed potatoes as a side dish. With this you do not need to brown the beef or dilute the soup. I usually buy a small round steak or chuck steak and cut it up myself instead of using stew beef.

I'm going to go in another directions. For beef tips over noodles, you can go low and slow, as state by the others, or hot and fast with a pressure cooker (a reliable pressure cooker can be had for about 20 bucks).

In a pressure cooker, add a bit of oil to the bottom of the pot (about a tablespoon), and brown the meat over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. After the meat is browned on all sides, add 2 cups of water, and a rustic chopped onion. Put the lid on and let the PC go until the little pressure regulater just starts to dance a bit. Turn the heat to low, and let it cook for 15 minutes. While the meat is cooking, cook your noodles and sides. When the 15 minutes has elapsed, turn off the stove. Place the PC in the sink and run cold water over it. The pressure valve will drop when there is no more pressure in the pot. You can now remove the lid (follow the PC directions that came with your appliance).

To make you gravy, remove the meat from the pot. In a medium frying pan, melt 2 tbs. of butter over medium heat. Add 2 tbs. flour and whisk it in for 3 minutes or so. This is called a roux. Add a half cup of broth from the pot to the roux and stir until smooth. Pour the thick sauce from the pan back into the pressure cooker pot and stir. Your gravy should be just right.

And easier method is to make a slurry of 1/2 cup of water and a tsp. of corn starch. Stir this in a cup until smooth. Bring the beef broth to a boil and slowly pour in the slurry while stirring. It will thicken the broth into gravy; and you can see when you've added the right amount of slurry as you stir. Then, simply correct the seasonings by adding the herbs spices, and seasonings you like. Total cooking time, about 40 minutes, and your cubed beef, no matter whether it comes from the round, the sirloin, the chuck, or even a flank steak, will be tender and wonderfully flavored.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom