Beef stock (broth?) is the wrong color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My broth didn’t come out greasy, just milky.

The milky appearance comes from fat (grease) emulsified into the liquid, as jennyema has been saying. Once it's tightly emulsified, there's no fixing it - chilling will not bring it to the surface, like with a stock that was simmered.

If you like it, then great - that's the important thing.

We’ll, not sure what he did, but I’ve made gallons of the stuff every week for years now and have never had a problem. [emoji2]
Do you boil it hard for several hours?

Blissful posted a recipe for Korean beef stock that said that particular recipe is intended to come out milky, not clear, and it's boiled, not simmered. And Joel acknowledged in the next post that that was what he had done.

Do you boil it hard for several hours?

Blissful posted a recipe for Korean beef stock that said that particular recipe is intended to come out milky, not clear, and it's boiled, not simmered. And Joel acknowledged in the next post that that was what he had done.
Japanese tonkotsu broth is also boiled vigorously for several hours. It’s made from pork bones, and the boiling makes the broth milky and very silky.

I appreciate all of your excellent answers and suggestions so much! And I never knew that a rapid boiling action would emulsify the fat into the broth - I never made that very simple connection!

When I posted this question, I hadn’t finished the broth. My goal was broth for French onion soup, so the color of the broth dismayed me. I was very pleased with the end result though. The broth isn’t really suitable for traditional French onion soup, but it’s creamy and rich, a perfect base for some Asian soups. And since I’m not serving any paying guests, I could make French onion soup with it. In fact, I’m gonna try it later today! It just won’t be that beautifully clear, delicately flavored broth that’s associated with it. Maybe I should give it a new moniker - Asian onion soup (the traditional cheese might pose a problem, though!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom