Banana Bread help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jafwiz

Assistant Cook
I have a banana bread that I like it is moist and tasty but I have a problem with it collapsing when cooling? I don't know if it is a problem with the recipe or the way I mix it I could use some suggestions here is the recipe and mixing.

Preheat Oven 325 Bake for 60-65 minutes check with toothpick. Or 205 degrees

3 Ripe Bananas = 385 grams
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1can pure pumpkin not pie filling 425 grams

2 cups pastry flour 250 Grams
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon

sugar 100 grams
light brown sugar 200 grams
1 stick softened butter
2 eggs

1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cups buttermilk.

I mash the bananas with the lemon juice set aside
I sift all dry ingredients together set aside
I mix butter, sugar, extract, eggs,buttermilk about 3 minutes
I fold in banana and pumpkin to incorporate
I fold in the dry ingredients.

I have tried a glass loaf pan and also 4. 5.25 * 3.125 mini loaf pans and it still happens ?

When a bread collapses in the center, it usually means it's undercooked. If the dough hasn't set, it doesn't have the structure to support itself and it collapses.

You can either leave it in longer or reduce the oven temperature so it cooks more evenly.

Have you had success with this recipe? Or does it collapse every time you try it? Just from looking over the ingredients, it looks like too many wet ingredients. Your recipe has 3 bananas, two eggs, the pumpkin pie puree, and the buttermilk. The recipe I've used with success has just bananas and eggs (in addition to the other ingredients like flour, etc).

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97724

Have you had success with this recipe? Or does it collapse every time you try it? Just from looking over the ingredients, it looks like too many wet ingredients. Your recipe has 3 bananas, two eggs, the pumpkin pie puree, and the buttermilk. The recipe I've used with success has just bananas and eggs (in addition to the other ingredients like flour, etc).

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97724
I agree - it looks like there are too many wet ingredients. I've never seen buttermilk in a banana bread recipe before.

What could I try to make this recipe less wet? I know i can't change the sugar the batter is not good without this much sugar? I could eliminate the 1/2 cup buttermilk but i thought that was to make the bread moist? I use powdered buttermilk i could try just adding the powder and not dissolve in the milk? And maybe instead of the 15oz of pumpkin I could add 1 cup which is half the can

What could I try to make this recipe less wet? I know i can't change the sugar the batter is not good without this much sugar? I could eliminate the 1/2 cup buttermilk but i thought that was to make the bread moist? I use powdered buttermilk i could try just adding the powder and not dissolve in the milk? And maybe instead of the 15oz of pumpkin I could add 1 cup which is half the can
The easiest thing to do is to use a recipe that is known to work. Try the one Cooking Goddess posted above.

Here is a good recipe that has bananas, pumpkin AND buttermilk:

https://www.justataste.com/pumpkin-banana-bread-recipe/

These are the key ingredients in your recipe:
Wet:3 bananas, 1/2 C buttermilk and almost 2 Cups of pumpkin puree.
Dry: 2 cups flour, 2 eggs and only 1/2 C sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder

The recipe linked above has very different ratios
Wet: 2 bananas, 1/4 C buttermilk, 3/4 Pumpkin puree
Dry: 2 Cups flour, 2 eggs, 3/4 Cup sugar 2 tsp baking soda, flavorings

It looks to me as though you either need to cut the wet ingredients by about half or you need to increase the other ingredients by double and use 2 pans.

Also I wouldn’t use pastry flour. Quick breads need gluten for structure. I have good success using AP flour.

Last edited:
Thanks I never know when to use what flour I have cake,pastry,all purpose,and bread

On DC, there used to be a gal who called herself Audio. Her banana bread recipe was as loved as was my pancake recipe. I can personally vouch for it..In fact, it's the only banana bread recipe I will use. It's that good. Here it is:
Audio’s Banana Nut Bread

Best Banana Bread I've Ever Had!!!
I thought my recipe for banana-nut bread was great right up until this morning. The difference in texture and taste is incredible, and I will never make banana bread by any other recipe again!

The BEST Banana Bread

Butter a non-stick bread pan, then flour well. (The flour is really important for the bread to climb against while baking. I had not done that before, and it makes a huge difference!)

Combine and mix well the following dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside:
2 cups AP flour
1¾ cup sugar
1½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
1½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon salt

In another medium bowl, coarsely smash 3 ripe bananas (use a large spoon or spatula and don't puree the banana as it needs to be chunky)

To the bananas, add and combine: (but try not to reduce the banana chunks)

2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently FOLD until the flour is thoroughly moistened and no longer visible. Pour into the prepared bread pan and spread the mixture evenly across the top.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree (F) oven for 45-50 minutes.

Before, I had mixed my bater in my KitchenAid, the wet stuff first, then added the dry and mixed some more. Making banana bread with this method yields a hearty, beautiful loaf that is absolutely delicious!

Enjoy:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief, I tried that recipe while desperately searching for my Mom's recipe. I had horrid results. Even though I left the loaf pan in the oven for at least an hour, the middle was way too moist to the point of being wet. Because is was wet, it didn't rise even as high as a box mix banana bread. We ended up digging out what was completely unsalvageable and toasting slices of what was left.

While I just don't know how it works for others and not for me, it doesn't matter. I found Mom's recipe card a couple years ago and have been happily getting perfect results with it ever since - even when I bake it in my rather roomy toaster oven.

Either way, neither this nor my recipe would work for Jafwiz. He's looking for a workable pumpkin-banana recipe. ;)

Now I want banana bread :cry: and I have more urgent tasks to tend to rather than bake. :(

Thanks for all the help I will try that recipe also but I am.looking for a great pumpkin banana bread

I tried that recipe yesterday and all thought it had a beautiful rise and cooked perfectly the moisture and taste was nor as good as what I had? I would like to try to modify my recipe to make it rise more? What would you suggest changing?

Use bread flour, and before adding the egg, separate the egg. Mix the yok into the vatter. Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter. Make sure the pan is coated with butter, then flour before pouring the batter into it.

for your pumpkin/banana loaf, try this recipe:

2 cups AP flour
1 tsp. salt
3.4 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup mashe, over-ripe banana
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
2 eggs

No oil, or water is needed as the moisture from the bananas, and pumpkin will be enough.
Bake in a buttered, and floured loaf pan for an hour in a pre-heated 350' oven. Test by inserting a butter knife through the loaf middle. If it comes out clean when removed, the loaf is done.

To make this extra yummy, combine 1/4 cup milk, 3/4 cu powdered sugar, Knox unflavored gelatin. Heat the mixture and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Lt cool and drizzle over the loaf top.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom