Avocado Substitute in Tacos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I've found the great sounding Shrimp Taco recipe only the use Avocado in it.

I don't eat Avocado so I was wondering what everyone would use to be the best substitute and replace the creaminess?

I like to make a mixture of sour cream, lime juice and zest and cilantro, with a bit of salt and sugar, as a creamy sauce for some tacos. I think it works well with seafood and pork.

I like to mix a little adobo sauce and a little rice vinegar in plain Greek yogurt, and drizzle it over the shrimp and shredded cabbage. (If I have fresh limes, I'd rather use that than the rice vinegar) Chopped cilantro to top.

Now I want a couple of shrimp tacos. :yum:

I have no problem with avocado, but I also make a "sauce" with sour cream/crema, adobo from a can of chipotles, lime juice and agave.:yum: Very creamy with some spice, tang and hint of sweetness. The amounts are to taste.

Dragnlaw,

I make a fruity salsa with tiny diced Mango, minced Red Onion or Green scallion & a tiny dried red chili pepper with Evoo & Lemon or Lime or a Light Vinaigrette ..

A bit of salt and pepper to taste and finely diced orange slices or Mandarines / Tangerines .. And a few fronds of minced fresh dill and toss .. Refrig for 45 mins to 1 hour or until ready to use .. Cover well ..

This would go exemplarily with the prawns or shrimp and a taco ..

Have a nice summer ..

I would make a Pico de Gallo (fresh, raw salsa) with a bit of extra lime juice and, just leave the avocado out if I didn't like avocado.

Oh my goodness...

I think I'll be making Shrimp Tacos for a very long time to try all these super sounding additions!

I love avocados but as per usual I over indulged to the point my body rebelled and I haven't eaten one in a very long time. I love their creaminess and thought it went well with the recipe....

and now, guess what! I've been moving things around trying to get ready for the demolition of the bathroom - I scooped up a bunch of recipes from the table to make room for boxes and...

I can't find the recipe!!!! ARGHH!!

My sister's town has a new restaurant that serves pork street tacos with a mango-pineapple slaw that are out of this world. I am planning on trying to figure that slaw out. I've been looking at recipes for it online, and since I've no starting point, I'll just have to pick one and work from there.

I like my tacos as simple as possible, in small 4-inch tortillas. .... main ingredient plus chopped onions/cilantro and hot sauce.
Grew up in Southern California loving Anglo tacos. Early in a misspent youth, on an ill-advised adventure to Tijuana, I discovered among other things, the kind of tacos Roadfix describes. Had several epiphanies that weekend. ;)

Discovered fish tacos a couple years later on a trip slightly farther south to Ensenada. A different thing altogether I think.

Always thought taco recipe an oxymoron. Rough guides at most; substitute at will.

Grew up in Southern California loving Anglo tacos. Early in a misspent youth, on an ill-advised adventure to Tijuana, I discovered among other things, the kind of tacos Roadfix describes. Had several epiphanies that weekend. ;)

Discovered fish tacos a couple years later on a trip slightly farther south to Ensenada. A different thing altogether I think.

Always thought taco recipe an oxymoron. Rough guides at most; substitute at will.

+1..

and... I have had an epiphany or two in Tijuana also... :ermm:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom