"Authentic" Texas Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i like to serve chili in a bread bowl. once you're done eating the chunkier bits with a utensil, you get to tear apart and eat the gravy soaked bowl. not a drop goes to waste.

Last edited:
Any kind of chili is my favorite cold or hot weather food. I have to watch it, I could eat it everyday!

oh that would be heavenly! chili served in a bread bowl! I would need a recipe to make a bread bowl!

oh that would be heavenly! chili served in a bread bowl! I would need a recipe to make a bread bowl!

Have you ever made french bread? If so, you can just form a half loaf size into a ball and bake. Once it's cooled, cut off an inch across the top and pull out the bread chunks to make it hollow. Put your chili or cream soup in, use the bread guts as croutons or bread pudding.

since i'm not gifted enough to be a baker, i just buy the largest round rolls that i can find, then cut out a cap much like cutting the top of a pumpkin when making a jack-o-lantern.
when you have the bread cap off, push the rest of the bread down inside to form the bowl and make it less likely to leak.

PF you've impinged upon one of my most sacred recipe quests, savory breads!

Would it be possible to make a chili recipe in a bread dough, and then bake that?

I'd die for that! (Okay not really, but I'd eat it and I'd try to cook it.)

I used to bake bread everyday, haven't in a long time....looks like I will again for chili bowls!

oh I am hungry!

PF you've impinged upon one of my most sacred recipe quests, savory breads!

Would it be possible to make a chili recipe in a bread dough, and then bake that?

I'd die for that! (Okay not really, but I'd eat it and I'd try to cook it.)

Chili bread? Let me think on it a couple of minutes.

I used to bake bread everyday, haven't in a long time....looks like I will again for chili bowls!

oh I am hungry!

I like BuckyTom's suggestion of pressing the bread down instead of pulling it out. I always serve bread bowls in a bowl in case of leaks.

my husband's eyes just lit up when I was telling him about a bread bowl... I am going shopping during the Super bowl... I will look for bread so we can have that tomorrow rather then BBQing steak.

Chili bread? Let me think on it a couple of minutes.

LOL! I'm pretty sure you could just cook any bread recipe and slit the loaf down the middle, insert chili, seal it up and maybe smack/punch it a few times, rise it then bake it. I'm also pretty sure it would have a short shelf life.

My damned oven here isn't even big enough to roast a chicken. I hope to pursue my meat infused savory bread quest some day soon, when I have a real kitchen.

LOL! I'm pretty sure you could just cook any bread recipe and slit the loaf down the middle, insert chili, seal it up and maybe smack/punch it a few times, rise it then bake it. I'm also pretty sure it would have a short shelf life.

My damned oven here isn't even big enough to roast a chicken. I hope to pursue my meat infused savory bread quest some day soon, when I have a real kitchen.

I was thinking cook burger, chili seasoning, diced onions. Drain off excess liquid, allow to cool. Pat out dough into a rectangle after first rise, cover 2/3of the dough with shredded cheese and the meat mixture. Roll up from the covered end and seal. Allow to rise the second time and then bake. Snacking bread, not a sandwich bread, unless you can get it to stay together.

OR

Chili mixture, drain off excess liquid and save. Mix the chili mixture into your dry ingredients. The saved liquid could be part of the liquid needed for the recipe. Continue from there, this would go through two rises then.

I think I'd rise the bread at least once, then insert cooked meat/savory phase. Rise again then bake. You could twist it or just mash it up in any way before final rise and baking.

I prefer the idea of making bread dough separately, then making the stuffing/filling, than a final rise.

But I like your ideas! :)

I think I'd rise the bread at least once, then insert cooked meat/savory phase. Rise again then bake. You could twist it or just mash it up in any way before final rise and baking.

I prefer the idea of making bread dough separately, then making the stuffing/filling, than a final rise.

But I like your ideas! :)

Aesthetically, you would probably end up with pink bread mixing it in.:rolleyes:

I wasn't thinking of a very fine mangling, more of a quick toss and twist. You could do much the same thing with some sauteed onions and some cheese. Maybe add some sliced olives to that...

I'm just fascinated by the idea of adding cooked meat to bread. I think the chili would totally work. But would have a limited shelf life.

if you're looking for a pocket of chili inside the bread, it won't work. you'll just end up with raw dough around the chili when the outside crust is done.

you can make a "chili bread", though, much like a sausage or pepperoni bread, where the meat is incorporated all through the dough.

you might be able to do a stromboli type thing, twisting a relatively dry chili into finished dough just before baking, but again, it's not really chili without the gravy.

BT I'm expecting to insert fully cooked chili into my bread dough. Or some kind of savory meat. The stuffing is fully cooked. The bread is served fresh out of the oven. Again, I doubt this would have much of a self life.

Think about calzoni.

And it wouldn't be chili at all... Maybe chili bread...

Chili bread, that's really what a person would end up with I would think, which by all means is good. Here's a link to one if you can sit through a video. It comes out very pretty. It looks sortive "stromboliish" to me.

Chili Bread - YouTube

here's a pic of a turkey chili in bread bowls that i made a year or so ago. the bowls were just round rolls so i stuffed them as much as i could.

img0403j.jpg

buckytom...

this has made me hungry! Next SuperBowl I am going to make bread bowl chili!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom