"Authentic" Texas Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Audeo and Lifter,

I just found this site and discussion in my search for the original (or one of them) Chili recipes and had to sign up to say;

I have so enjoyed reading what you both have written on the history of chili.

thank you!

brook

Welcome to DC Brook. Hope you look around and have some fun.

thank you both for the welcome!

This is an amazing conversation on the history of chili. Like many, we have a company chili cookoff... 4 participate... thought perhaps this year I would join in but have found the history far more interesting then the recipe! I like history.. I like cooking too, but the history of chili I had never given much thought to, until now. "food for thought" <smile>

you can't find 2 better cooks to get advice from, brook.

audeo was a very interesting person, lots of life experiences. sadly, her time here at dc was short.

lifter was an amazingly passionate guy. great knowledge about many things, but especially about food.

i hope they are both well.

Good morning from North Wales Brook.
Tom you wait till you get the "Book" there is a chapter of recipes on chili texas style some are very simple others like Ernest Borgnines are more complex, Kenny Rogers Fire and Ice chili has a can of pineapple chunks in it:ohmy: is that why the Gatlin boys came into town?

thank you Josie this is an amazing place!

Last edited:
I'll give it a try

Maybe simple is better.I have tried several so called authentic Texas chili recipes off the net and was not impressed.This is one dish that proves that the word authentic means many things to everyone that makes chili in Texas.I ended up with one pot that was totally inedible maybe its because I decided not to add the bourbon that it called for.Yuk!!!

page 1, first post is a recipe... try it.

I loved it.

I made it again adding to it to make it my own..... what I added to the recipe

ground pork
cubed beef and pork but the majority was ground meat
a green bell pepper
my husband likes beans so I added pinto and kidney beans.
a lot of cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper to spice it up.
I did add water and cooked it in a slow cooker/crock pot over night.

I am in heaven! thanks for the recipe.

I too have enjoyed this topic, and I hope to try the recipe in the OP some day soon.

Regarding "authentic" chili recipes from Texas or any region, I argue that chili recipes are so prolific and so individualistic that I'm not sure the term "authentic" really has any meaning, except that for example me as a Californian could never originate a chili and call it anything but "authentic Californian chili" and somehow that has no cachet. I think all of us Americans will always think of Texas when we think of chili.

That said, here's another interesting authentic Texas chili recipe, from Lady Bird Johnson LBJ's wife:
chili.jpg

That's from LBJ's website: Lady Bird Johnson's Recipe for Pedernales River Chili

I found it interesting to compare this recipe with that in the OP, and neglecting proportions I found it very similar. Lady Bird didn't add extra fat (and I think that fat is a damned good idea!), and she added water (I agree with the OP that the meat will release sufficient juices) and tomatoes. I like the idea of adding tomatoes provided if kept within reason. .... I think the water was partly to compensate for water lost to steam in a long cooking. ... I accept that some folks like beans in their chili. I'm not one of them.

I apologize if I'm going too far off topic but I've cooked the package chili (add your own beef) from Carroll Shelby "Original Texas Chili" (maybe an original but certainly not the original) and I liked it. One trick I learned from this package mix, something I've done with other chili recipes with great success, is that masa harina is the perfect, very best way to thicken chili if yours turns out too thin.

I prefer my chili chunky but I'm very captivated by the recipe in the OP. I usually cook my chunky chili and then serve it taco style (in tortillas). I'm curious how people suggest serving chili made from ground meat.

I too have enjoyed this topic, and I hope to try the recipe in the OP some day soon.

Regarding "authentic" chili recipes from Texas or any region, I argue that chili recipes are so prolific and so individualistic that I'm not sure the term "authentic" really has any meaning, except that for example me as a Californian could never originate a chili and call it anything but "authentic Californian chili" and somehow that has no cachet. I think all of us Americans will always think of Texas when we think of chili.

That said, here's another interesting authentic Texas chili recipe, from Lady Bird Johnson LBJ's wife:

That's from LBJ's website: Lady Bird Johnson's Recipe for Pedernales River Chili

I found it interesting to compare this recipe with that in the OP, and neglecting proportions I found it very similar. Lady Bird didn't add extra fat (and I think that fat is a damned good idea!), and she added water (I agree with the OP that the meat will release sufficient juices) and tomatoes. I like the idea of adding tomatoes provided if kept within reason. .... I think the water was partly to compensate for water lost to steam in a long cooking. ... I accept that some folks like beans in their chili. I'm not one of them.

I apologize if I'm going too far off topic but I've cooked the package chili (add your own beef) from Carroll Shelby "Original Texas Chili" (maybe an original but certainly not the original) and I liked it. One trick I learned from this package mix, something I've done with other chili recipes with great success, is that masa harina is the perfect, very best way to thicken chili if yours turns out too thin.

I prefer my chili chunky but I'm very captivated by the recipe in the OP. I usually cook my chunky chili and then serve it taco style (in tortillas). I'm curious how people suggest serving chili made from ground meat.

In a bowl, with a spoon...:pig:

And according to forum timestamps it was 4 minutes. :) My, my, how time passes when you're having fun! I am very much enjoying the forum. It's nice to meet people like me who enjoy eating food and enjoy cooking it.

I can't quite get into just slurping chili with a spoon. Maybe you could suggest what side dishes are appropriate for this ground meat style of chili. I'm more used to NM style which is chunky.

And according to forum timestamps it was 4 minutes. :) My, my, how time passes when you're having fun! I am very much enjoying the forum. It's nice to meet people like me who enjoy eating food and enjoy cooking it.

I can't quite get into just slurping chili with a spoon. Maybe you could suggest what side dishes are appropriate for this ground meat style of chili. I'm more used to NM style which is chunky.

It's good over rice and garnished with raw, chopped onion, and grated cheddar.

G. Greg,

I also live in Los Angeles. I loved the Original Post's recipe. Simple and to the point.

I made the Chili Queen Recipe and did cut up the meat. My hands were so sore! and someday I will even use a sharp knife!

I liked the Chili Queen Recipe, the difference is buying McCormick seasoning vs. using the different chilies.

I did use Pork Fat which I found at Vallarta Market and love their meat counter!

Beans is something my husband likes - think he grew up on canned chili... I don't mind since I have so much meat it over powers the few beans I put in.

Cornbread is a classic side. I like to have it with tortillas, flour or corn. I most often use it as a "sauce" for burritos, omelets...as for the bowl idea, chili, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, diced tomatoes and onions, basically a salad on top of the chili. Yum!

Last edited:
My gravy was so thick.... in a flour tortilla like a burrito, over scrambled eggs, in a taco, over a the meat in a hamburger!

but always with a spoon!

Much tastier than by IV.:mrgreen:

and a lot more calories too!

I wanted to try as close to the original chili as I could get realizing that someone put more of this pepper then that one and had little secret ingredients.

I do so enjoy a fragrant bowl of Chili and have loved this thread.

Back
Top Bottom