Arepas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoReese

Cook
I am having a hard time finding Masarepa or P.A.N. Harina to make arepas.

Can Masa Harina be used ??

You could use it, but it is going to have a different flavor, due to the nixtamalization. It is pre-cooked, so it mixes immediately with the water, like masa harina, but it lacks that flavor. And some is labeled "sweet" - not sure if it has sugar, or made with a sweet variety of corn.

Maybe there's a method for using regular cornmeal, and cooking it, in the water?

Last edited:
No you can´t, if you want an authentic arepa. A true arepa has to be made with harina PAN, which is ground white corn, whereas the masa harina is made with white corn which has been treated with slaked lime (nixtmalizado), thus radically changing the flavour.
You could, of course, make arepas andinas which are made with regular flour.
You can usually get Harina PAN on Amazon.

Could you please post your recipe for arepas?

I've been craving mozzarepas. A griddled sandwich of two arepas surrounding melted mozzarella. A 9th Ave (NYC) specialty.

Super easy, as long as you have the right flour: Harina PAN

1 cup harina PAN
1 1/4 cups water
pinch of salt.

Mix the whole lot together in a bowl. The flour will absorb the water, bit by bit, so don´t get impatient, it may take a minute or three. When you have a soft dough, leave it to rest for a while - maybe 10-15 minutes.
Take a lump of dough in your hand and flatten it into a patty. You want to aim for something smaller than a burger, but larger than a croquette:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Make sure the arepa is nice and rounded.
Place on a griddle and cook until the bottom side is just slightly crispy, with a few brown marks on it; then turn it over. Should take about 5 minutes or so.
When it´s ready, split it open , add some butter, and fill with:
  • grated cheese; white cheese (Mexican, maybe) is better
    Grated cheese and black beans ( Domino)
    Cooked chicken, mayo, bit of onion and smashed avocado (Reina Pepiada)
    Pulled pork
    Carne mechada - basically, long-cooked beef skirt(flank) mixed with onion, garlic, red peppers and sweet chiles
    Finely shredded and seasoned fish

Thanks for the info. Aren't puposas made with masa herina? If so how do they differ from arepas? just taste?

Excuse the delay!! I was trapped by Storm Eunice.
I really can´t tell you if pupusas are made with masa harina, or harina PAN, since I´ve never tried them.
I just looked in some Salvadorean websites and they ask for " corn flour". I really don´t know whether it´s the same as theMexican, or Venezuelan version.
What I can definitely tell you is that Mexican "corn flour" tastes very different from the Venezuelan version, so you arepa will also taste different.

No problem re. delay. I posted twice because I haven't mastered this site yet.
I've made puposas and liked the taste. I imagine the arepas are softer and maybe easier to cut. Thanks again for responding.

I bought some masarepa via Amazon. My first attempt at arepas didn't work out. I need to try again. I can't seem to find any info re storing masarepa. Would you have a source?

we always keep the packet in the fridge - but that´s because there are lots of little weevils about that have a particular skill in finding opened bags of flour.
If you´re in a cold climate, you could quite easily keep the bag in a cupboard.
What happened to the arepas that they didn´t work out?

Could you please post your recipe for arepas?

I've been craving mozzarepas. A griddled sandwich of two arepas surrounding melted mozzarella. A 9th Ave (NYC) specialty.

There was a seasonal Arepa pop up in the Bryant Park Christmas Village a few years back. Not sure if they are there annually or if they are affiliated with a brick and mortar store, but I remember them being really good.

There was a seasonal Arepa pop up in the Bryant Park Christmas Village a few years back. Not sure if they are there annually or if they are affiliated with a brick and mortar store, but I remember them being really good.

There´s a place called Costa´s Arepa Bar; another called "Arepa Guacuco" and another called "Caraotas". All genuine Venezuelan arepas with traditional fillings.

Back
Top Bottom