Are these dried beans approved for canning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockergirl

Assistant Cook
I have a bag of 13 bean mix for making soup. Green split peas, pinto beans, lentils, small red beans, yellow split peas, navy beans, black turtle bean, light red kidney bean, baby lima bean, blackeye beans, red lentils, garbanzo & large lima beans. Are all of these beans safe for canning? I can't find a list to confirm?

It's not really the bean variety that determines whether it is safe to can, but the recipe - many things that are too "thick" are not safe for home canning (things such as canning pumpkin are not recommended) , so I can see how some lentil dishes would not be safe.

Here's one of many online sites you can find information:

It's not really the bean variety that determines whether it is safe to can, but the recipe - many things that are too "thick" are not safe for home canning (things such as canning pumpkin are not recommended) , so I can see how some lentil dishes would not be safe.

Here's one of many online sites you can find information:
Wow, eatright.org. I had forgotten about this website, thanks pepperhead. It is the organization for the American Dietetics Association, the governing body for Registered Dietitians. It's a great source of information!

Back
Top Bottom