Apple turnovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOW SMOKIN BBQ

Assistant Cook
my wife ask me to to do something sweet on the smoker so i did
i made apple turnovers on the smoker and they where great
had almost 30 people over to pray in the new years and they ate almost everyone of them

img_254856_0_254171f8cb8e5bdc8ddd295abcfcf92d.jpg

i almost forgot to get pictures so i had to make everyone wait while i snapped one lol

Looks excellent!! Buzz I been telling yall for years about old Big Jim Whitten down in the swamps of Floriddy who smokes all form of baked goods. Now he uses his famous Lazy Q which is a wood propane combo..but he say any pit which can get the heat up as high as it needs to be as per the home oven will work just fine. Ate some of his smoke baked biscuits and found them very good. He also deep fries eggs. The boy is talented..lol. Smoked peach pie is supposed to be real good too. My surrogate bbq Daddy named Belly Maynard had a good recipe floating around here somewhere. Where is the keeper of the recipe archives to cough up Bellys recipe? Where is the turn over recipe? Thanks.

Last edited:
APPLE TURNOVERS
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
4 Granny Smith apples , peeled, cored, and sliced, or 1 can apple pie filling
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
(8-piece) container refrigerated flaky biscuit dough
1 stick of melted butter
Powdered sugar

Filling: Add the butter to a large saute pan and melt. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.

When the filling is cool, roll the biscuits out on a lightly floured surface so that each biscuit forms a 7 to 8-inch circle. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling on each biscuit circle. Brush the edges of the circle with water. Fold the circle over the filling to make a half-moon shape. Seal by pressing the edges with a fork.

put on smoker with aluminum foil under the bottom
cook at 275 to 300 for around 15 to 20 min or until golden brown remove from smoker and lightly brush with butter ,let set for 5 min or so and sprinkle with powdered sugar ! ready to serve enjoy everybody

Those look great. And the recipe sounds like a winner. I need to try it soon.

Never heard of smoking something like a turnover, thanks for sharing.
If you can cook it in your oven, you can cook it in your smoker. Get your fire burning cleaner for less of a smokey taste. Ovens were just adaptations of smokers for people that couldn't control a fire and needed to cheat with gas or 'lectricity.

BigWHEEL, we both need to head over and let Big Jim cook for us. Ocala (Micanopy) isn't that far...

BOB

Sounds like a winner to me Sir. I'm ready to load. We had a bbq Q fest type thing a few years back (This was the official Belly Maynard memorial held down at Glenrose and may have been about the first of the genre) and did get to sample a bunch of Big Jim's wares. If that Boy cooks something which aint superlative..I ain't bumped into it yet..lol. PS Edit..Just dawned on me the first of the first of the Q'fest rituals came when Danny Gaulden invited all to come to Carlsbad New Mexico. Wished I coulda made that one. That one was historic. Then one of the host planners apparently got drunk and decided to move it to Morton Mississpiiii? Where is that? lol.

Last edited:
I made some of these tonight. I happened to have a can of biscuits and a can of cherry pie filling that has been in the cupboard for a couple of years. The kids had fun making them and they turned out pretty good.

good deal im going to do peach thursday just happen to have 2 jars of peaches that was canned this year and i think i will cook them down and try that it has to be good
thanks for the feedback on the turnovers Brad !

Back
Top Bottom