Apple pie filling for later use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I have a few extra apples that I need to do something with.
I was hoping I could make some sort of apple pie filling to use for a later date (that I can freeze).

I already have plenty of apple sauce, apple butter and dried apples, so looking for something different .

Does apple pie filling freeze well ?

I know usually when I make an apple pie, the apple are raw, mixed with everything then do their cooking inside the pie.

I'd be concerned the apples would break down with freezing and you would end up with a tasty applesauce.

We use pear sauce and apple sauce daily in our morning oat breakfasts, but when I have extra apples, I cook them in slices, serve nice-cream (blueberry is good), with hot apples over top. We use them like potatoes, often and a lot.

Apple pies, purchased frozen from the store still have good apple texture. Cook your filling with sugar, and the spices. Don't add the thickener. Let cool. Place in freezer bags, with the pan juices; remove as much air as possible, and freeze. When ready to use, thaw, and add the thickener. a good, flaky bottom crust. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Blind baked the bottom shell with egg wash to get Place filling into your pie shell; put the top crust on, or Dutch apple topping, and bake until the crust is done.

Most thickeners break down when frozen.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A local church freezes hundreds of raw apple pies each year with good results.

I would give it a try with this recipe as a guide.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/h...pple-pie/24d92822-c596-4f41-afb4-51e6b3adad26

I would freeze the raw apple slices/filling and bake them off like an apple crisp with a simple oatmeal, flour, walnut, brown sugar, butter, crumb topping. The topping could also be made in a large batch and frozen in recipe-sized portions.

Last edited:
My mum used to make apple filling , with sugar , cloves and mixed spice. Then she´d bottle (can) it and store it in the cupboard for future use. (No freezing in those days - we didn´t even have a freezer). Perfect.

A local church freezes hundreds of raw apple pies each year with good results.

I would give it a try with this recipe as a guide.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/h...pple-pie/24d92822-c596-4f41-afb4-51e6b3adad26

I would freeze the raw apple slices/filling and bake them off like an apple crisp with a simple oatmeal, flour, walnut, brown sugar, butter, crumb topping. The topping could also be made in a large batch and frozen in recipe-sized portions.

Totally forgot that I followed the Pillsbury guide (my own pie filling recipe though, oh and crust) last year and it worked beautifully!

IMG_5982.jpg

I should make up another round, I've got room on the deep freeze.

Didn't have time too use the apples today, but did come across a 'King Arthur's make ahead apple pie filling '.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2014/11/23/make-ahead-apple-pie-filling

Hopefully the apples will last a few more days when I have time to use them up

That sounds like a good recipe, Larry. Do you have one of the Amish Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer gizmos? I've had mine for at least 30 years. One of the best time savers in my kitchen! Makes easy work of apples, but they do need to be pretty round to work well.

I actually did have one, but I just donated it. I did ' The big clean'. of my kitchen ( and stuff that should be in he kitchen but is somewhere in a box in the basement) and that was one that didnt make the cut.

Back
Top Bottom